Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:15:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weird glyphs at the bottom of the screen after hacking  (Read 1028 times)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weird glyphs at the bottom of the screen after hacking
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:19:41 PM »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So this seems to happen every time to me. After hacking for the very first time (after resuming the game), I keep seeing the weird glyphs at the bottom of the screen. And then after exiting the hacking window, when I hack again, the glyphs don't appear again.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weird glyphs at the bottom of the screen after hacking
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »

Hahahaha, I guessed it!

This has been in the game since the very first version, and I see it a lot, but back then I searched for a while and couldn't for the life of me find where to fix it. I know what it is, but why it's sometimes there still baffles me... (it's some kinda of garbled error message from the engine itself, but I have no idea how it's getting there or where it's coming from, because it obviously isn't even properly using the spritesheet--very confusing!)

Anyway, I was guessing who would report this first, and I was right ;). I'm sure others must've seen this before... though perhaps many would think it's even intended? I mean, it looks out of place, but not exactly terrible (and is mostly covered up quickly by the full hacking windows).

I'll look into it again since it's been a couple years since last time, although it's really hard to find because it's so random, without an obvious cause. Actually, in the next run this happens to you, could you attach a run.log here? I'll check if it contains any error clues, although if I recall correctly this is some kind of unlogged error (hence the confusion...).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »

Seems like I'm famed for spotting weird things and then report them......many months later.  :o
The glyphs just seem to blend well within the hacking environment, as if the glyphs are the codes that Cogmind was trying to decode. Definitely feels like the least bug-like to me.

I actually have a save file containing the bug (though it should be easy to reproduce since I'm in -10). See if you can get the bug again.

EDIT: I've tried this with another save file. It seems like whenever you continue your game from the last time you saved and exit, you always have this glyphs on your first hack. Not sure if that helps.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:55:57 PM by DDarkray »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:26:28 AM »

Alrighty, well thanks for the info! I've found and resolved it.

It's an older engine-based method of showing warning and error messages that wasn't fully compatible with the newer display methods introduced after the 7DRL. It was normally being overdrawn by the map so you couldn't actually see the messages at all, but if you open the hacking window it actually stops drawing the map, thus allowing the engine message to appear (garbled due to the display incompatibility). It does this for simple warning messages, too, and there are a few of those when starting up a regular game, so if you open the hacking within withing 5 seconds of load, the temporary message display duration has not yet expired and will freeze there, continuing to show until you close the window and let the map overdraw it. We shouldn't be seeing these anymore.

Whew :P

The glyphs just seem to blend well within the hacking environment, as if the glyphs are the codes that Cogmind was trying to decode. Definitely feels like the least bug-like to me.
Yeah that's why I decided not to fret over that one in particular. I've basically just been waiting for someone else to notice and confirm/report it before bothering with it again.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Raine

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Kyzrati Patron Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:32:07 AM »

Oh yeah I thought those were totally intentional just for some extra sweet cyberpunk flavor to the game  ;D figured it was related to corruption or maybe there were just some dodgy terminals around that needed fixing hehe.