Grid Sage Forums

• April 19, 2024, 01:04:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #89 [Beta 2.1] [Seed: ResetMissileTerrabomb]  (Read 2181 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #89 [Beta 2.1] [Seed: ResetMissileTerrabomb]
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:08:47 AM »

This week's seed: ResetMissileTerrabomb

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: ResetMissileTerrabomb] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #89 [Beta 2.1] [Seed: ResetMissileTerrabomb]
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:36:59 AM »

First of all, wow this seed is awesome. Mainly because there's tons of explosives to find--I heard Finestep was reporting the same :D

Second of all, wow that was dumb of me xD--I lost in the exact same manner I did last time, one layer of barrier from the exit with no way through, when I clearly could've done it earlier!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pretty hilarious. I found the exit fairly quickly, and had a strong build for a long while (despite having been trashed before) but then spent several thousand turns trying to build up to a situation where I'd feel comfortable actually taking out the guards. I got each down to about 50%, but by then wasn't good enough to finish the job.

I had some fairly strange builds at times, was an interesting run, in any case. I always took the first exit I found, and ended up only visiting two branches for a bit, so it was mostly a straight-up run. Almost died around the mid-game, but got carried pretty hard by a single Katana and turned it into a comeback--never be without your trusty backup melee weapon :D. I actually did a fair bit of melee-ing in this run and it generally worked out quite nicely. Didn't even use any support utils.

I streamed the entire thing, about 3.5 hours, and was trying to play relatively quickly so the fight to the late-game only took a couple of hours (VOD). Made a number of mistakes because I was playing with one eye, and a low vision one at that, but it's been a while and I wanted to play the seed anyway, so may as well stream it :)

Spoiler: Score: 26,441 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:45:10 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Raine

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Kyzrati Patron Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »

My best game of Cogmind yet! 15,000 points higher my previous highest (exluding challenge modes). Also my best win speed bonus (9000 turns) I never pay any attention to turn count so this was a nice surprise. Don't open the spoiler item at the end of the list unless you are fairly familiar with late game specifically Q.

Highlights:
  • -8 felt like it was a special branch like S or A in terms of loot quality, found so many stockpiles of launchers and high rating weapons and propulsion of all types. Took 3x Medium Reactive Plating off a hauler which prompted me to switch to treads (was building towards hover until this point) which did an amazing job of keeping me protected.
  • Took some serious battles in -7 which left me on core propulsion for the majority of:
    -6/Factory
    -6/Lower Caves
    -6/Lower Caves
    -5/Factory
    -5/Waste
    -5/Factory (discovered 2 exits: *Fac / [*Upp])
    -5/Upper Caves
    -5/Upper Caves
    -4/Factory
    -4/Upper Caves
    -4/Upper Caves
    -4/W
    -3/Proximity Caves
    The hero part was a Katana I had at the beginning and managed to keep all the way until -3 Proximity Caves (it had less than 10 integrity on it for a good portion of these levels). Depth 4 Exit core remaining was 9
  • Entering -3 research with only just enough weaponry to survive fighting a single sentry to get access to a hauler. The hauler dropped 6 flight arrays, and his engine and large storage at almost full integrity. Not long after I started to feel like I had a chance instead of being a cripple for the rest of the game.

• Stumbling into Q with a decent setup and discovering a lot of new items and lore. Reckless usage of a particularly powerful weapon left me in a bad state entering -1 however.
    Spoiler: Late Game (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Score Sheet (click to show/hide)
    « Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:15:19 AM by Raine »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
    • True Cogmind
      • View Profile
      • Cogmind
    « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »

Of course Raine has to show me up with such a decent run :)

The hero part was a Katana I had at the beginning and managed to keep all the way
    Same! It's always that last melee weapon that brings you back from the brink, I love it :D
    Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon