Grid Sage Forums

• April 25, 2024, 06:08:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Unable to see robot within visual range yet visible in Sensor Array  (Read 746 times)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile

So I was in a cave and saw a group of 2 programmers. At that time, I had a sensor array but no interpreter, so all I could see is the red '?' when outside my view. However, when I approached them, I caught sight of the group of programmers, but one of them remains '?' even though it should be within my view! And yet, I could even see all the other surrounding terrain and the programmer that's even further away from me. Bug?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Unable to see robot within visual range yet visible in Sensor Array
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:18:58 PM »

I've been aware of this behavior for a couple years, but the cause isn't technically a bug. It's a side effect of how the sensor works, and in rare cases (especially when moving fast) you can sometimes see things like this.

I should probably treat this as a bug (it's the kind of thing that'll keep getting reported if I don't :P), though the reason I didn't do anything about it before is that it could require some deep system changes. This particular instance is also interesting since it looks a little different than the cases I've seen before, though I'm pretty sure the underlying cause is the same.

What happened on your next move? What happened when the turn counter flipped to the next turn? Were there actually two programmers there in the end?

It would help if I had a save of this. Did you keep it?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:20:47 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 06:36:25 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't have that save file anymore. That image was actually one of the screenshots that was buried in Beta 1.2 screenshot folder, and I keep forgetting to report it! Sorry about that. :(
(I should start making a habit to report and keep save file from now on)

On my next turn, I simply moved forward toward the exit, and then the missing programmer reappeared in my normal view. I think I turned off my sensor after seeing the weird bug.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »

Alright, I decided to adjust the sensor behavior so that it won't do this anymore, via some mid-turn checks. Now if it still happens it'd definitely be considered a bug :), but we'll see if anyone finds examples of it in Beta 2.1.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon