Grid Sage Forums

• April 24, 2024, 09:49:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: I Hear Doors, Shots, But Not Other Bots?  (Read 793 times)

Stilgar

• Unaware
    • View Profile
I Hear Doors, Shots, But Not Other Bots?
« on: October 22, 2017, 11:10:26 PM »

I understand some bots would be equipped for stealth, but I lean towards an auditory clue as to what is moving in the immediate vicinity.

Would it make the game too easy? I am not at all for that.\ if you feel that would be the result.

I just thought the immersion factor would increase as I would strain to hear what lies around the corner. And then there is the ability to discern an innocuous bot from an active enemy. Treads sound like treads no matter what they are attached to.
But maybe the other attachments have their own sounds?

I also realize this would be a ton of work, so I ask.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: I Hear Doors, Shots, But Not Other Bots?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 04:49:46 AM »

It'd be a lot of work to get right, that's true. With unlimited time it'd be interesting to test, but I also don't like how it would turn listening into a much more important skill in Cogmind. Right now you can play fine even with the sound off. (True we do have visible sfx now, and that system could also reflect a new set of "robot sounds," but then you basically have free sensor arrays :P)

I do, however, have different robot sounds for all major NPC dialogue. The idea was to possibly do that for all robots, but again that's a lot of work and probably overboard for what you get out of it. Having it only for major NPCs helps them stand out more, anyway.

Specifically regarding movement, sfx aren't appropriate because they would get too repetitive. Foley like that also works much better when you have different terrain surfaces, which Cogmind intentionally does not :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon