Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:42:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Let builders/workers build interesting things  (Read 1003 times)

Gexgekko

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Let builders/workers build interesting things
« on: June 22, 2017, 01:02:31 PM »

So let them add a recycler terminal somewhere if the map they've built is big enough to make rentable build a recycler (so they recycle what they're actually drilling and so), also if it's possible it could be awesome to let them build terminals (info-capped so you don't hack lore from the lower levels) and stairs (which leads maybe to a cave or to another similar area?)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Let builders/workers build interesting things
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:51 AM »

Certainly if they were to build anything it would be to repair machines or rebuild destroyed machines from scratch, though allowing them to do so presents a ton of other complications, such that it hasn't really been deemed worth the amount of work it would require to implement it. It'd be nice to further improve the atmosphere and immersion, but there are other more valuable features to work on first, before that could ever happen.

In terms of building new stuff, the only place really "missing" props would be the lowest depth, which is obviously in the early stages of being expanded as you awake. But it's not an area to hang around anyway, so adding stuff there comes off as a pure fluff feature. (Note: I also actually made a little change down there for the next release).

I could have them put the occasional machine in an otherwise empty room, though the numbers of those machines are already more or less balanced, so this would be a "remove a machine and let them install it later" kinda thing. That'd be neat (I've done it in other situations some players will have discovered), though again it wasn't built into the system to begin with so it'd take a while to get something like that up and running. In any case, this has actually been among my plans, but it is very low priority so I don't know if it would come to be. (If I were to work on Cogmind indefinitely then, yes, it's inevitable, but I'm going to have to stop one day! :()
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Gexgekko

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:17:58 AM »

Thanks for the quick response!!

But it's not an area to hang around anyway

I like to stay there to see what's up with the builders and actually that's why the idea came up to me LOL but yes I get what you say.

I could have them put the occasional machine in an otherwise empty room, though the numbers of those machines are already more or less balanced

Yes it is balanced, but I don't see why on early levels a recycler for example would unbalance the game. You don't have anything to recycle if you are starting the game and it would be atmospheric to let them build one every X hundred of blocks away from the "base" map/other recycler in base map.

I know is hard to make if you don't have the base code prepared for it, and I'm not in anyway trying to bother/argue with your decisions, I'm not english so I can't be more polite than this due to my language, sorry

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »

No I know what you mean. I'm totally for the idea, hence it's been on my list for ages, just not enough need for it compared to other features at the moment! We'll see...

What generally increases the chances of me implementing initially lone unimportant features is when, after some time has passed and the list has gotten longer, I start to see possible synergies between multiple features if I were to implement them all. Then it becomes a true system and is way more interesting, so I'll end up implementing a lot of related features at once. Before that point, many individual features usually aren't worth it on their own.

(^just a little explanation of how I go about adding new features in the long term :D)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon