Grid Sage Forums

• April 19, 2024, 01:40:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Suggestion: Save as and numeric keyboard  (Read 1444 times)

Eagoth

• Unaware
    • View Profile
    • La Motosierra de Ockham
Suggestion: Save as and numeric keyboard
« on: June 20, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »

Hello!

I would like to suggest some (minor) improvements to REXPaint that drive me a little mad:

• Save as option: Right now I have to copy and paste in a new file to generate a new version of an .xp, pretty annoying!
  • The numeric keyboard doesn't work, and it's the first thing I try when entering some numbers, annoying OVER 9000.
  • It would also be cool if you could drag and drop colors in the palette to generate copies (or copy the color values easily to paste in a new one), useful to get variations from a previous color. This one is not that annoying :P.

Thanks for listening! :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:47:11 AM by Eagoth »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Suggestion: Save as and numeric keyboard
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »

Hey Eahoth!

Save as option: Right now I have to copy and paste in a new file to generate a new version of an .xp, pretty annoying!
Actually you're in luck, because REXPaint already has a feature equivalent to Save as :D (I'd highly recommend you check out the manual, which lists and explains a ton of features that you won't see in the program because they require hotkeys.)

To create a copy of the current image under a new name, you just have to switch to the image browser and Shift-click on the filename, which opens a dialogue asking you to name the new file (it will even suggest a name for you so you can just hit Enter to accept) and bam, you've got a complete copy to create a new variant or whatever you like!

The numeric keyboard doesn't work, and it's the first thing I try when entering some numbers, annoying OVER 9000.
By this I think you mean the numpad instead of the number row? I'll consider it for a future version, but the engine I'm using always treats the numpad keys as special use keys rather than numbers, which is why that's not a thing. I'd have to do some more low-level tweaking, and make sure it doesn't break anything else, before that's possible.

It would also be cool if you could drag and drop colors in the palette to generate copies (or copy the color values easily to paste in a new one), useful to get variations from a previous color. This one is not that annoying :P.[/li][/list]
Again, check out the manual. You can do this and a lot more in terms of palette manipulation--it doesn't support drag-drop, but you can click-copy colors for editing. (Drag drop would be even nicer, but it takes a lot longer to implement and test so is not an approach I decided to go with for now. I'll make note of it for the future UI upgrade though!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Eagoth

• Unaware
    • View Profile
    • La Motosierra de Ockham
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 09:02:06 AM »

Uh, nice to know, I guess I should read the full manual after all (sorry :P).

Too bad about the numpad! I'll we waiting for that change.

I also noticed yesterday that text mode doesn't work properly in my keyboard configuration (spanish keyboard), letters are fine but all the symbols are wrong. For example, Shift+0 should print '=', but it prints ')'. I looked quickly in the manual and I didn't find anything about this (you can kill me if it does say something xD), is there any way to fix it? Not that I use that very often, but maybe you didn't know.

Thanks again!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »

Uh, nice to know, I guess I should read the full manual after all (sorry :P).
While some of the rarer details might only be found in the text sections, you don't have to read the whole manual to quickly get an idea of all the features--for that just read down the appendix which lists the available commands together :)

The list shown by the in-program help is very short by comparison, because it only gets one page (but that's why it says at the bottom to check the manual list for more).

I also noticed yesterday that text mode doesn't work properly in my keyboard configuration (spanish keyboard), letters are fine but all the symbols are wrong. For example, Shift+0 should print '=', but it prints ')'. I looked quickly in the manual and I didn't find anything about this (you can kill me if it does say something xD), is there any way to fix it? Not that I use that very often, but maybe you didn't know.
Yup, the engine only supports the standard US-101 layout--not alternative layouts or foreign keyboards, so it's printing characters based on that.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon