Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:05:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Editing manual.txt with special letters make it crash when trying to read ingame  (Read 650 times)

Gobbopathe

• Derelict
    • View Profile

Hello Kyzrati, back on business as you can see. And since I have read the changelogs, and the entries I was interested in the manual, I discovered we can edit the manual ourselves (did I tell you I love all your wonderful ideas ?). So I wanted to make a compilation but noticed the following bug (that I expected I must admit) :

- open manual.txt
- add a few words, for instance in the last "note" section, using special letters like éèàç that I use in french
- launch the game (OK)
- open the manual tab (OK)
- try to reach the note section that I have edited : the game crash immediately, without any message

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Yep, this isn't a bug it's just how the program works--Cogmind cannot read non-ASCII characters. Note the install instructions say the game path cannot contain such characters either (if it does Cogmind will not start). I should add an explicit note to the manual saying that you it can't read these characters though :P

Cogmind doesn't use an actual font to display--it just uses a bitmap image, and that image only contains basic ASCII characters, so there's no way to display others. Even if they could be displayed, the internal representation cannot store non-ASCII.

Specific to the manual, I could also try to prevent the game from reading in non-ASCII characters. Currently it does ignore a certain ASCII character which will crash it (because I use it for a special purpose), but just reads in whatever else you put there.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

So after digging into this I decided to add both a note to the manual and a filter that prevents invalid characters from being read from the file. So even if they're written into it by mistake (or because someone didn't know), it shouldn't crash anymore.

I'll file is as a bug so you can get your credit in the changelog :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon