Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 09:50:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #84 [Beta 1.2] [Seed: NeutralizingSensorDissipator]  (Read 1947 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile

This week's seed: NeutralizingSensorDissipator

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: NeutralizingSensorDissipator] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #84 [Beta 1.2] [Seed: NeutralizingSensorDissipator]
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:43:09 PM »

That was a really EPIC game for me! I was hoping to go melee build this run, but after a while, I couldn't find much melee support, so I ended up going gunslinger instead. However, it's a very heavy-utility combat build with only 3 weapon slots, and all other slots are loaded with defensive, stealth, hacking, and offensive utilities. This is by far my most successful combat run by a LONG shot! Usually I would end up dead during the halfway point, but this time, I plowed through a lot of branch areas without too much trouble (even the dreaded proximity caves weren't that bad). After reaching Access, I realized my alert level is only at low security which is really surprising despite all the killing I had done! (I definitely did some alert purge hacks, but all the branch area visits had purged a lot too) There were times where I was stripped to almost naked, but the transmission jammer made it easy to fight despite all engineers around the hallway. That really helped me avoid endless waves of reinforcements so that I could pick up the loots safely after battle.

After reaching Access, I found the location to the surface, but what was in front of me was also a stair leading to the Command area (by visiting the backdoor). Seeing how ridiculously far the surface is, I took a big chance and entered Command. I haven't been there before, so I didn't know what to expect. Turns out, that was where the epic battle begin.

After I scrambled to find the stairs in the Command terminals (which I failed all the way), I found myself in a terrible situation. There were FOUR armies of killer robots coming toward me: one from the locked-down terminal, one from my ally stepping onto an alarm trap, one from a fleeing operator who escaped from our grasp, and one for causing too much trouble at the floor......

.......all appearing almost at the same time. (And I was like: Oh...my...goodness...)
(And I'm surprised my Transmission Jammer didn't block the alert trap's signal when my ally stepped onto it, even within my sight and my jammer's range. Is that a bug?)

And so that led me to a great fight which I couldn't escape fast enough. Hunters and grunts, swordsman and angel were all ganging up on me. I had a few grunts who helped me out, but the enemies were too overwhelming for them.

Spoiler: Me v.s. Main.C's Army (click to show/hide)

Looking back at the screenshot, I could've used a smarter way to fight the army by escaping to the corridor instead of fighting inside a room (which invites EVERYONE to shoot at me at the same time). But at the same time, I got an opportunity to use a mega-crazy prototype launcher which did significant damage to everyone. However, I couldn't kill them off before running out of matter, so I had to finish them off slowly with a lot of running around, picking up power sources and propulsion which I needed to replace my lost ones.

After that battle, I was low on core health but I picked up A LOT of loots!

And of course, I ran into a bunch of robots again and then died due to low core health. But overall, a pretty crazy run! I think I could've won if I go straight to the surface instead of the Command branch, but now I know what to expect there the next time!

Spoiler: Scoresheet (click to show/hide)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:35:33 PM »

Nice run! You saw a lot of cool stuff, and I quite like that Access build, just Command is really hard.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 03:01:41 AM »

Ooh nice run, DDarkRay! Definitely a killer build there in Access (and it's interesting to see someone using a Structural Scanner). If only you had extra matter you could've definitely blasted the whole army with ease--that launcher is extremely matter-hungry :P

(And I'm surprised my Transmission Jammer didn't block the alert trap's signal when my ally stepped onto it, even within my sight and my jammer's range. Is that a bug?)
It only blocks if you're the one to trigger, so that's intended. (I mean, it's already awesome enough, eh? :P)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:03:27 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:31:08 AM »

It only blocks if you're the one to trigger, so that's intended. (I mean, it's already awesome enough, eh? :P)

I actually ran into this situation recently. I was moving with an army of allies through an open area, and I could see two alarm traps, so I knew there were more. I had a transmission jammer and I wasn't certain if it would block signals if allies triggered alarm traps in range, so I decided to force trigger an alarm myself, and got it blocked. That worked out well.

IMO your jammer should block alarms triggered by allies in range though.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:36:39 AM »

I know, it was just implemented in the simplest way possible. I could change it eventually.

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:37:14 AM »

I think Transmission Jammer is really, really good for Hauler hunting. I got a lot of cool prototypes out of them, without worrying at all with reinforcement calls. I didn't try it with transport network coupler, but it sounds like a cool way to go treasure hunting. Overall, transmission jammer is really good for combat build in my opinion.

it's interesting to see someone using a Structural Scanner

I tried to go room-to-room whenever I can because going through the hallway is pretty dangerous to me. And plus, who doesn't like to go through secret doorways like a real thief? 8)

If only you had extra matter you could've definitely blasted the whole army with ease--that launcher is extremely matter-hungry :P

Yeah! After 2 shots, I was like, "That's it???" I wish I still had my matter filter with me, but its coverage is way too high for it to last long. Having a matter storage would have been better.

I also like my adv. coolant injector a lot. It lasted me a whole game, starting at early Factory up until my death in Command. I probably don't even need a heat sink since it got so much health and I can easily repair it via repair station (with some hacking suites). Just an awesome item for those who want to use energy weapons to conserve some matter.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:39:01 AM by DDarkray »

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 04:23:26 PM »

Once again, I'm late to the party ;D. This was an interesting run for me, as I went into it wanting to do a flight build like I did for the last weekly seed. Instead, I found some decent legs and kept getting into fights. Then, somewhere around -4, I got completely wrecked. Eventually, I blew a hole in a wall, grabbed a single flight unit from the other side, and high-tailed it to the next level. From this point on, I was in flight mode. But...when I was in -3/Testing, I saw some Strikers guarding a big door... ::). I just HAD to look. From there, it was pretty much over. I think I could've made it to the next floor if I hadn't messed with the Strikers, but heck, it was fun.

Edit: Vid Link ;) : https://youtu.be/tadtpFbAj-E

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:21:30 PM by nuzcraft »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »

Hehe, you're getting pretty good at least!

But yeah, curiosity when you're at a weak point is generally going to be pretty deadly--that door is not to be trifled with ;)