Grid Sage Forums

• April 20, 2024, 02:12:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #83 [Beta 1.2] [Seed: LaserGravityApparatus]  (Read 2133 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #83 [Beta 1.2] [Seed: LaserGravityApparatus]
« on: May 21, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »

This week's seed: LaserGravityApparatus

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: LaserGravityApparatus] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:43:42 AM by zxc »

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #83 [Beta 1.1] [Seed: LaserGravityApparatus]
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »

Spoiler regarding Deep Cave:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #83 [Beta 1.1] [Seed: LaserGravityApparatus]
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »

That's... a tough place to go like that, yeah!

I still haven't done it myself! Alpha 14 was a better opportunity, but at least I add the new way to get in, which you apparently were able to take advantage of :P

Since this seed was just created, I imagine we can use it for 1.2 as well, since that's officially out now. (1.2 had to break save compatibility to add some new items, which is the same as breaking seed compatibility.)

I think I'll be streaming this one tomorrow... (with a challenge)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #83 [Beta 1.2] [Seed: LaserGravityApparatus]
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 11:55:23 PM »

So I did this one with Pure Core, and wow was that interesting... Like Super Gauntlet, it took some different strategies and tactics. It affected my slot decisions the whole way through, but especially at the beginning where I waited a while to upgrade utilities in order to favor weapons and propulsion, since a lack of spares there could mean death! (Some utility slots are used for storage anyway, and since that wasn't a possibility those slots weren't too missed early on.)

In the end I had a ton of propulsion, more than I've ever run with before, and also added a second power slot pretty early because, again, lack of inventory spares could make a loss of power pretty significant!

Overall the run went surprisingly well, although I did play slower and take longer to think things through to make sure that was the case. There was also some luck involved--exits were found pretty easily almost all the way, but there were still lots of close calls...

I streamed the entire run.

I was trying to avoid branches in general (dangerous attrition!), but did dive into several caves since I wasn't sure how long it'd be before I could find a regular exit. (Throughout the mid-game drones helped me do a good bit of exploring, too.) And what probably did me in was the fact that I got scanned in Testing, and only because I took on an Alpha 7 with an unseen Researcher around the corner :/

The exit was right around the corner, too! If only I'd known xD (my drone didn't quite make it that far...)

Originally it was just one bot and a researcher, then of course the reinforcements arrived from the exit around the corner!

Actually, though, I could also thank the Researcher, because that EMDS dropped by the subsequent intercept dispatch practically owned everything else for a while. In the end I made it to Access, taking out two intercept dispatches on the way.

I explored about a third of the floor, and started it by taking out a Cycler (!), so there was a good chance that with some luck I could've won, but it wasn't meant to be. Honestly though, I didn't expect to even make it half way to the surface, so reaching Access was pretty surprising!

Spoiler: Score: 22,039 (click to show/hide)

Other highlights:

Early game is scary because you have so few slots, but at least my weapons were pretty awesome before long!

This Mni. Smartbomb I lucked into half way through the game carried me quite far.

Coming out of Testing into -2/Research I was pretty much naked. Installing some trojans on a terminal at the entrance gave me the intel I needed to survive the first 200 turns, avoiding patrols and collecting gear in the proper order without being discovered. Then of course I still only had one weapon (a cannon, no less...) when a full squad of Swarmers showed up. With some amazing luck, I ducked into that room and killed all five in a row--five shots :D

Still in the middle of rebuilding when another showed up... (at least my firepower had improved by then, though!)

This corridor of death was really really annoying. It was obvious that's what it was from early on, but it was the path I needed to take. Every time I'd finally finish off a couple squads, more would come through.

And eventually an intercept was sent in there, but I brought them down and took their EMDS. Ha! Got me into Access:

There I took out another intercept, but I wasn't really equipped for it (I mean, hey, no inventory!), and by the time I took them out I didn't have enough left to deal with other patrols happening by, so... that was where things obviously were going to head downhill.

With a bunch of bots on my tail, I did try one of my favorite unarmed offensive tactics of "stand next to the big explody machine and wait for them to miss and annihilate everyone" :P Some of the pursuers were a bit too strong for that, though, haha.

I was able to make it another couple hundred turns of just fleeing and searching for the exit before going down.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:00:38 AM by Kyzrati »

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »

This run took me farther than I've ever gone before, all the way up to -3/Testing! Early on, in -9/Storage, I found a stockpile of good flight units and thus my first flight run was born! I spent most of the time avoiding battles and working my way upwards. I shot myself in the foot when I ventured into -5/Extension. I decided to try tunneling to get around some bad guys and cave-ins killed my flight units :(. It felt downhill from there as I ran away from bigger, badder, and scarier dudes. Do you guys have any tips for the early/mid game that help as the baddies get tougher?

Here is my output:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Additionally, I'll post here when I get my vids uploaded.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:35:49 PM by nuzcraft »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:07:40 PM »

Hehe, yeah most Cogminds have their furthest early runs with flight :)

You can't really do too much tunneling, except between rooms and nearby areas--long-distance tunneling will just get you trashed. You had the speed, but definitely make sure you rely on good sensors to avoid enemies, as well as machine hacking to get intel. Some of the useful hacks are Trojans, which you probably haven't fully discovered yet, but even common hacks like Access(Main) and Access(Branch) will help you out a lot to make sure you're at least headed in the right direction! (Doesn't look like you did any main hacks, and only one branch hack.)

(Also, flight builds should pretty much never go into Extension if they can detect it first :P)

There are a lot of other flight tactics, but I'm not an expert in that area.

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 09:27:54 AM »

Thanks, I'll try that next time. I didn't get ahold of a hacking suite until fairly late, so many of my later level hacks just failed :(. I'm 100% drinking the sensor kool-aid. Being able to see what's around you is SO VALUABLE! I think I'll try a similar run with the next weekly seed, see what I can do.   :o

EDIT: Here's the run if you're interested https://youtu.be/FDdatIgbpEM
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:31:49 AM by nuzcraft »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 02:56:05 AM »

Intel/"infowar" is definitely a strong way to play. And yeah hacking main exits indirectly is incredibly hard without any hackware, but if you find it on a low-level terminal as a direct hack, it's usually good to try it since even without any hacking capability you can technically still succeed.