Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 03:02:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #82 [Beta 1.1] [Seed: ArmorNeutrinoCleaver]  (Read 3505 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #82 [Beta 1.1] [Seed: ArmorNeutrinoCleaver]
« on: May 14, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »

This week's seed: ArmorNeutrinoCleaver

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: ArmorNeutrinoCleaver] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #82 [Beta 1.1] [Seed: ArmorNeutrinoCleaver]
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »

I had a fun run, though I only made it to -7/Factory. All the deets are below. Like a renegade a chose to enter -10/Mines and -9/Mines. In -10/Mines I escaped with just 1 core left. JUST ONE! Poor resource management and some iffy decisions are what finally did me in. I tend to shoot first and see if I have enough matter to attach new legs later (great way to get stranded by the way). Spread shots kept killing engineers, which would summon more reinforcements. Always looking for suggestions! I recorded this run as well, I'll post a link when I get it edited and uploaded to youtube.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »

I did a straightforward flight win, no branches except Zh: http://www.gridsagegames.com/cogmind/scores/170509/zzxc-170514-053033-0-33035_w0.txt

I'll take a look at your video when you post it :)

nuzcraft

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 03:42:58 PM »

I noticed specifically, I fired way more volleys than you. Did you pick up flight units then hack and evade your way through most of the levels? Or what was your strategy?

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 11:49:26 PM »

I switched to flight pretty early and avoided combat from then on.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 12:17:41 AM »

My seed run is going... pretty sorta maybe well. Not as good as I planned, having not played much for a while and following some strategic mistakes, and I'm just starting to rebuild at the beginning of Research.

Long run so far, nearly four hours and only at -3. I streamed it here, and I'll finish it up probably tomorrow and share the final results here as well.

It has been crazy. Almost died in Materials, and literally came within a few turns of dying in a proxy caves returning from -4. I was really powerful in the mid-game though, with help from Zion. We took out Cetus faster than I've ever done that before--absolutely crushed them in no time (I didn't really have to do anything...).

Some highlights so far:

Got a pretty good army going for a while--notice the dual Tactical Coordination Suites!

All geared up and we're about to leave Cetus.

This is where I lost all of my army in the space of like ten turns. TRIPLE Demolishers are punishing...

The proxy caves from hell. Squad after squad... (this shot taken shortly after yet another battle in which there's not much of the area left!)

The final squad from which I barely managed to escape and find the exit around the corner--close one!

I've just started Research but already have four very powerful allies, so should be able to rebuild soon...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:55:48 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Ved

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:56:47 AM »

That seed run is going pretty well for now. It may be even my best run ever - I'm -5 and didn't encounter any serious problems. I watched zxc's speedrun video earlier and I decided to analyze his tactics and learn something useful - and so that happened, I suppose.

-5 was pretty tough, but - as it turned out later - it was still not bad in comparison to -4, that... I didn't know what I was doing, I hoped that I'll manage to outrun / outmaneuver enemies, because I wasn't able to destroy anything. I found stairs up, so I'm in research - first time!

I was sure that -3 will be just too hard for unprepared and almost naked Cogmind, but I found stairs really fast. Stairs warden was involved in some shooting with Plagues - it helped me to sneak behind him.

I'm not sure where I am now, but does it matter? I'm gonna die quickly, after all.
It's how do I look since -4

Yup, I was right. I died quickly in, as log stated, armory.

Log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:03:58 AM by Ved »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:59:07 AM »

Wow you were moving pretty quickly there, to make it to the Armory with only 4k points. I'm in -3 also and hope to avoid the Armory exit at least for a bit considering the shape I'm in!

Ved

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 06:09:58 AM »

I was lucky with stairs and hacks. Maybe I was moving too quick, probably a bit more exploration on -5 could put me in better position for the next floors. But still, I'm satisfied :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 06:46:22 AM »

Heh, always nice to get further! Certainly once you're more familiar with the late-game you'll want to spend some of your mid-game preparing for a future strategy, but it's also fun to just go with the flow and deal with things as they come.

nuzcraft

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »

I've uploaded my run as promised! You can take a look here if you'd like https://youtu.be/2DAVpBNu060. I think my biggest takeaway, both from this run, and from catching part of Kyzrati's stream yesterday, is that sometimes you just need to drop everything, run away, and regroup. I think I get too attached to some of my parts and it kills me.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 05:55:06 PM »

Certainly when the alternative is death, dropping and running at the right time is an important tactic :). I had to drop some good stuff yesterday, but I live to fight again!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »

Aw yeah, got my win in with this seed :D (streamed it, with part 2 here)

So I started out practically naked, and before long my friends had me up and running again...

And I had friends for most of Research, which I kept alive with a mantle and tac suite.

Access I mostly ran alone, but after accidentally taking a detour into Quarantine I had some pretty decent gear, and both brought and found enough drones to help scout out the place. They found the exit area eventually and I used an artifact to sneak in the back way.

Spoiler: End-game exit area (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Score: 32,116 (click to show/hide)

Now that I've won I'll be taking even more risks in future runs, and trying out some of the new challenge modes!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:56:31 PM by Kyzrati »

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 10:09:28 AM »

This is where I lost all of my army in the space of like ten turns. TRIPLE Demolishers are punishing...

We should have an item that gives explosive resistance to all allies in range. And maybe an item for EM resistance as well (especially for those EM traps).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »

That's a nice idea! I did add an AOE thermal defense suite a couple releases back. Adding some for other types, especially explosives, would be extremely beneficial for ally builds...