Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 05:45:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Change order of infos about coverage and number of specific components  (Read 1025 times)

Ved

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile

Current scheme is <part name> <coverage> <number of parts if more than 1> that can lead to confusion. For example, player can read that information as "aluminum legs cover 28% of core, 14% for every leg". <name> <number> <coverage> would provide more clear info, I suppose.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

What's your specific goal here? I put the multiplier at the end so that the parenthesis help visually separate that number from the part itself--much easier to quickly parse. If you want the coverage value to reflect the number of that part type, however, that's a possibility...

Right now I can't recall why I didn't do it that way initially :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Ved

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Not sure what's you're asking now, I think I wrote about goal already :D

I put the multiplier at the end so that the parenthesis help visually separate that number from the part itself
Yeah, I agree it's easier to parse. Unfortunately, in that case, it's not clear if coverage in parenthesis is portion of item description or final value. As far as I know aluminum leg provides 7%, so screen's 14% should be final value. But notation (14%) * 2 suggests different way of reading that info.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

The normal way to write it would be to put the 2x out in front of the weapon, though that would look bad as not all items would line up right (and putting 1x in front of others is redundant and wastes space...). If the coverage value within parens is doubled to reflect their combined total, I think that is less likely to be the assumed reading, whereas right now parsing it as either "[name (%)] x2" or "name [(%) * 2]" are both correct.

It's not an incredibly important value, in any case, so not something that new players even need to understand, while later on once they do understand coverage and part lists, the fact that it's easier to parse becomes more useful. I like to err on the side of long-term design benefits when there's no compelling reason for a feature to cater to new players.

By "goal," I guess I'm asking the ultimate purpose of such a change--"provide more clear info" for who? Probably beginners, it would seem, in which case I'd prefer to keep it as is for now.

Ved

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Yeah, I meant easier to beginners (like myself ;) ) And I see I messed everything...

[name (%)] x2" or "name [(%) * 2]

Ouh. It should be read in that way? So, it's all OK for me.

I was almost sure that the proper way to read that info is "[name] x2 -> (%)" that would be rather unintuitive. I came that conclusion by comparison - single aluminium leg in my inventory provides (7%); Trooper's info is "aluminium leg (14%) x2", so I assumed that (14%) is final value, equal to his two legs (7%).

To be sure, due my poor English, let me ask it in very simple way :D In example I provided, final coverage Troop's core by aluminium legs is 14% or 28%?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Right the final coverage would be 28%.

I mean, it's kind of a dilemma because you might want to know the actual "percentage of hitting a leg at all," but then the way it's presented would possibly be even more confusing.

Ved

• Unaware
    • View Profile

So, I got wrong conclusions. In that case, the order is just fine. I'm sorry to taking your time by invalid rfe. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Nah it's cool. It can get kinda quiet around here sometimes now that a lot of the regulars hash things out on chat instead, so it's nice to get some thoughts flowing here, too :D