Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:24:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Beta 1 "The End" Discussion/Feedback/Updates  (Read 6432 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Beta 1 "The End" Discussion/Feedback/Updates
« on: May 08, 2017, 07:13:17 PM »

Discuss the latest release! (release notes)

Any opinions on new mechanics or features? Any experiences to share?

Note that if smaller updates are made to Beta 1, they will be announced in this thread rather than the announcements board!

Update 170511 / Beta 1.1 - "NERF Cannon"

Okay, so it turns out there is/was a pretty major bug in Beta 1: Your shots aren't hitting very often! It did really feel somewhat off during my quick playtests, but I had gotten too busy in the days leading up to release to explore it more thoroughly in time for release day, so... hotfix time!

It just so happens I had already been working on a number of near-term fixes and tweaks for 1.1 release, so we can get all of this at once right now :D

You definitely want to switch over to this version! In Beta 1 you're at a serious disadvantage with your volleys, especially when firing many weapons at once, regardless of targeting/accuracy. In this version you'll feel like a god by comparison :P

Beta 1.1 (0.10.170511) changelog:

* NEW: Manual Advanced UI: Map section more explicit about where tunneling is safe through areas that can otherwise cave in
* MOD: Ramming time cost no longer a flat 100 (1 turn); now takes slowest of that and your movement speed
* MOD: Tread crushing only possible against targets with no more than 50 core integrity remaining
* MOD: Tactical Coordination Suite bonus increased from 5% to 10%
* MOD: Removed critical chance from Flak Cannon, Hvy. Flak Cannon, Proton Burst Cannon, Ion Burst Cannon
* MOD: Tri-rail Accelerator critical chance lowered from 3% to 1%
* MOD: Visible sound effect system no longer pinpoints origins of sounds played at less than a quarter of their volume due to relative distance
* MOD: Data Miner ASCII changed from 'm' back to '0'
* MOD: Robot info page doesn't list damage modifiers that don't apply to that robot
* MOD: C Programmers gained critical immunity
* FIX: The new system for preventing duplicate penetration caused consecutive single-projectile shots against the same target to have no effect [GJ]
* FIX: Potential crash if Borebot destroys itself while clearing an explosive machine [GJ]
* FIX: Engineers building rooms could in certain rare layouts manage to build excessively long rows of doors [Widmo, BOYADD]
* FIX: Extermination squad dispatch referred to as incorrect type if affected by Trojan and the dispatch before it was of a different type [zxc]
* FIX: Typo in Transmission Jammer effect description [zxc]
* FIX: soundIgnoresDistance config file option allowed sounds to be both heard and seen across an entire map
* FIX: Map exit information obtained via derelict logs showed "exits" (plural) in log message even if only one

Saves are compatible, so you can migrate your /user/ data over to this version even if you're in the middle of a run, to take advantage of the changes!

Only showing applicable damage modifiers:

The new and improved want-if-have-allied army TCS:

A note on the nerf to some weapon criticals: Those are multiprojectile weapons, especially the flak cannons, and each projectile checks for critical hits separately, so when combined with target analyzers they are too effective. There are still some very good multiprojectile weapons that also have (in some cases excellent) critical chances, but these were more common and shouldn't be quite that good :)

Update 170523 / Beta 1.2 - "Path to Success"

Well, I managed to throw together quite a lot in the past week. All the confirmed bugs are taken care of, and Beta 1 is looking pretty nice overall. There's nothing critical here (so feel free to stick with 1.1 if you like!)--it's mostly QoL and some balance changes including both nerfs and buffs, although part of why I wouldn't want to sit on this release any longer is it fixes a problem with the 1.1 cave-in frequency which has been cramping the style of the expert players :P

Because there may be a bit more time between this and the next release as I take care of other stuff, I want to make sure there aren't any issues with this one that I'd want to fix right away. Therefore unlike the usual updates, Beta 1.2 is not yet available via your download link! BUT, you can get it now if you post in this thread saying you'd like to try it out. It should be as stable as a normal release, and is compatible with the current leaderboards, so it's fine to switch over now if you like, although 1) you have to leave a message in this thread saying you'd like to try out the build (requires that your forum email is the same you used to purchase) and 2) you'll have to ignore the in-game message that tells you your version is wrong :P

I'll be updating the link for everyone else next Tuesday.
(1.2 is now generally available!)

Beta 1.2 (0.10.170523) changelog:

* NEW: Mouse movement pathfinding automatically avoids non-hostile blocking robots (can deactivate via cogmind.cfg disablePathfindingRobotAvoidance)
* NEW: When combat log detail set to Full, automatically mirrored to left side of map (tweak via cfg: mapCombatLogMaxLength/mapCombatLogDuration)
* NEW: Armor Integrity Analyzers expanded to a full four tiers (+2 items)
* NEW: Particle Chargers expanded to three tiers (+2 items)
* NEW: Added meaning of part info summary ** and + prefixes to manual
* NEW: Manual available online, too: gridsagegames.com/cogmind/manual.txt
* NEW: Allied followers will not chase down Watchers that leave Cogmind's FOV
* NEW: Allied followers will generally avoid taking incredibly circuitous routes when blocked, preferring to wait instead
* NEW: Player and AI pathfinding both avoid traveling through potential cave-in areas where feasible
* NEW: Attempting to fire in view of a Researcher will temporarily block attacks with a warning message, and highlight all such Researchers in view
* NEW: Programmers capable of remotely rewiring disrupted robots
* NEW: Energy restored to full on heading to new map (also fills any energy containers)
* MOD: Rating 10 items show their rating as 'X' in the part list info summary mode (instead of "10")
* MOD: Exp. Actuator Arrays and Exp. Shock Absorption System now classified as prototypes (though never found faulty)
* MOD: Free peeks inside rooms / around corners no longer guaranteed for fast Cogminds gaming the time system
* MOD: Some utility effects no longer stack: Target Analyzers, Armor Integrity Analyzers, Particle Chargers
* MOD: Some Particle Charger/Accelerator effects weakened, also lowered energy upkeep
* MOD: Armor Integrity Analyzer effect no longer applied to AOE attacks
* MOD: Programmers can no longer remotely repel hacks against allies made via direct melee Datajacks
* MOD: Score sheet doesn't list tallies for specific effects of overheating or corruption if zero
* MOD: Scanalyzer Insert Component list no longer displays duplicate items with matching integrity
* MOD: A certain well-known stash has gotten even better
* MOD: EM disruption no longer affects inactive robots
* FIX: May crash if standing adjacent to both a door and its terminal when [redacted] remotely unlocks that door [Sherlockkat]
* FIX: Newest secret map may rarely have an unintended tunnel extending from its exit area [Sherlockkat]
* FIX: Adjustments to Command layout generation in Beta 1 introduced the possibility of requiring travel through a garrison [Sherlockkat, zxc]
* FIX: Potential UI crash if in possession of an Omega Cannon with INFO mode active [Nikola Kolodziejczyk]
* FIX: Dedicated robot destruction codes retrieved from [redacted]'s decrypted terminal stopped working after Alpha 14 [MTF]
* FIX: New cave-in system allowing guaranteed passage through wall-earth-wall tunneling scenarios wasn't working as intended, might cave in [MTF]
* FIX: Was possible for fabrication network matter reserves to fall slightly negative if randomly drained close to zero while a build in progress [MTF]
* FIX: New bonus points for Network Hub destruction tallied incorrectly [GJ]
* FIX: Reversed score sheet ending name (only in header) for two of the seven endings [zxc]
* FIX: The conditions required for a plot-relevant end-game hack that used to be possible to obtain mid-game were no longer possible [zxc]
* FIX: Typo in Thermal Resupply hack name [zxc]
* FIX: Typo "Fabriactor" in new score sheet entry [zxc]
* FIX: Ramming a target off stairs may in some cases fail to immediately ascend [zxc, DDarkRay]
* FIX: Pair of typos in Zion [DDarkRay]
* FIX: Missing space in intel message revealing a single exit to a particular map [Amphouse]
* FIX: A particular encounter in the Mines could make it impossible to exit from one of the two stairs, though still showed the stair label [Senjai]
* FIX: Scanalyzer Insert Component list showed all items with matching name and integrity as broken if the first in inventory was broken [Senjai]
* FIX: Repeat consecutive messages in calculations log did not immediately show their multiplier suffix unless scrolled out of view and back again
* FIX: Super Gauntlet challenge mode could crash on -8/Materials if no Garrison Access generated for that map

Some images and notes on the new features:

Demonstrating guaranteed safe passage through wall-earth-wall scenarios.

While I personally don't use the combat log, some players swear by its highest detail setting, so I can totally understand you'd want something larger than the meager six lines it contains :P. Yeah it can be scrolled, but that's obviously not enough in a firefights with a half-dozen participants, much less when you yourself might fire 4-5 weapons in a single volley. So I put it right on the map.

There's plenty of room for it over there, and the default length of 20 lines will generally keep it from covering any of the action on most players' 16:9 map view. Plus it'll only be there for a bit before disappearing anyway. But you can adjust both the number of lines and duration in cogmind.cfg.

(And if you want to keep using the Full detail setting but not the log mirroring, you can do that too by setting the number of lines to 0.)

Your allies got a little better. They'll no longer chase after fleeing Watchers, which are hard to hit and can distract from other targets or split up your army. Once the Watcher leaves your FOV they'll leave it alone, so if you want everyone to come along just keep moving.

Programmers can remotely rewire bots for you, so you don't have to do it yourself if you've got one of these awesome friends :D.

(This ability actually applies to hostile Programmers, too, although it's a lot less often that your enemies manage to disrupt a bot.)

A lot of 1.2 changes involve pathfinding QoL:

Mouse-based pathfinding intelligently avoids moving obstacles when it will save more time than waiting.

The maximum deviation from the most direct path is +2 spaces, and it's on by default but you can deactivate this feature and restore pathfinding to the way it used to work in the cfg (disablePathfindingRobotAvoidance).

Allied followers no longer take long circuitous routes when a more direct desired route is blocked. Extension will be a little less annoying to fight in with those narrow corridors!

Mouse pathfinding automatically avoids potential cave-in areas where feasible.

The AI will avoid those areas when they can as well!

Although leaderboards are compatible and won't be reset, saves are not compatible this time around.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:05:14 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Reverie

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Beta 1 "The End" Discussion/Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:51:52 AM »

Oh gosh, we're getting close! :O

I haven't touched Cogmind since an earlier Alpha, not wanting to burn out on it, but I might play again and see what's new ^^

rumpel

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 03:49:29 AM »

Whee, exciting! Congratulations on reaching Beta 1 and thanks for the great game!  ;D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:23:47 AM »

Oh gosh, we're getting close! :O

I haven't touched Cogmind since an earlier Alpha, not wanting to burn out on it, but I might play again and see what's new ^^
Hey Reverie, haven't seen you around for a while yeah :). Definitely a good time to check it out, and future releases will just be expanding it with fun extras, more QoL features I have planned, plus achievements and more challenge modes and stuff like that, so there'll still be new and different things to do later on. I guess with a game like Cogmind which is playable and fun but always growing over time it's hard to decide when to start playing so you don't "burn out," but then you almost never get to start, hehe. Also depends on whether you prefer to play games in Steam, since in that case it'd be better to wait until then, of course. Not too long now...

Whee, exciting! Congratulations on reaching Beta 1 and thanks for the great game!  ;D
Hi rumpel, enjoy :D

Kinda fun to start calling it Beta rather than yet more alphas. Really does have a nice new ring to it and reflects the true state of the game!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 11:31:59 PM »

Critical update to Beta 1.1--See OP for details!

Juan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:53:35 PM »

Thanks for the 1.1 update, I was losing my saninty  :P I was shooting an enemy to 1 single tile of distance and I wasn't hitting him. I was thinking "hey it must be my lack of understanding of the game!"

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 12:00:57 AM »

Thanks for the 1.1 update, I was losing my sanity
Me too! I played the better part of two runs, and while I still got pretty far, kept getting trashed and was having trouble hitting anything despite having a ton of weapons...

Wish I had a bit more time to do general playtesting prior to release--this didn't have to happen :P

Anyway, let's get out there and start annihilating bots again.

Juan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 02:04:26 AM »

Yes, as a coder myself you need you enjoy your own creations before release them. Once I have finished the stage or product, I start to work in another thing, and then in one week I try to have fun with my creations - usually you have another perspective when you do this, and you see a lots of details that can be improved (or should be removed!)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Beta 1 "The End" Discussion/Feedback/Updates
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:35:22 AM »

Worst research floor I've had in a long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDGqnlTPS0

That is all

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 07:46:55 PM »

Hehe, you're finally playing pure combat again rather than a hacker, so expect this to happen more often :)

That said, you definitely passed other exits on that long circuitous route, just that they were outside your view.

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 09:26:33 PM »

I know I passed them. But except for just a few gaps, I was thorough. It was remarkable that I didn't find an exit for so long. The map layout towards the top also funneled into the area to the west. Good thing I had a good build that lasted the floor, but the alert led to issues in access.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 09:44:26 AM »

I would like to try 1.2! (Soon as I finish this 1.1 game which is about to enter -1)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »

Alrighty, taken care of (sent via PM). I posted this update so late today that it's already time for sleep, so I'll have to get to any other requests tomorrow! (Offer's available until the general release, in any case.)

dak

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »

Hey Kyzrati, I would definitely like to test the new version. Thanks in advance :)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »

Sign me up too! Gotta see if that ramming bug appears again.

And P.S. Thanks for the improved mouse path finding feature!! And also for the researcher warning! (If this update was available yesterday, I wouldn't have died last run from 3 c. programmers). ;D

Edit: Also, can you elaborate what you mean by "free peeks inside rooms / around corners no longer guaranteed"? Isn't this fixed in Beta 1.0?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:34:50 PM by DDarkray »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »

Okay, PM'ed another batch there, check it out :)

Edit: Also, can you elaborate what you mean by "free peeks inside rooms / around corners no longer guaranteed"? Isn't this fixed in Beta 1.0?
It was addressed before, yes, but it turned out there were still some conditions under which it was possible. For a couple releases now GJ has been finding pretty much every exploit there ever was (stuff that no one has noticed in two years!), and putting every single one to use :P

Many of the recent nerfs, mechanic tweaks, and in some cases secret content changes hidden from the changelog have come due to his strategies.

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 08:24:26 PM »

I would like to get in on this 1.2 business too. Where is my link??

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »

In your PMs :)

I'd be surprised if you wouldn't, and your cave-in sadness was the main reason I decided to make this optionally available before next week! (And what happened to you "waiting for 1.2" over that?--you were already playing again yesterday :P)

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 08:35:17 PM »

"I'd be surprised if you wouldn't, and your cave-in sadness was the main reason I decided to make this optionally available before next week!"
Perfect. Trying it out now!!
"(And what happened to you "waiting for 1.2" over that?--you were already playing again yesterday :P)"
Game too addicting. Plz nerf the dev.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »

Haha, I admit I was originally surprised to hear you claim you would stay away from a release for any length of time considering there are still new things to explore.

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »

It was addressed before, yes, but it turned out there were still some conditions under which it was possible.

To be honest, I also have been using the peeking exploit for some time (but that doesn't mean I'm a good stealth player). ;D

However, I didn't know waiting resets your time unit to 0, so I used another method other than waiting (by timing with the turn clock). Bwahahaha!! (Is that what you're trying to counter?)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »

To be honest, I also have been using the peeking exploit for some time (but that doesn't mean I'm a good stealth player). ;D
HA! So you were doing this, too!

Yeah, there were two methods of doing it, the first and better method was via waiting (the time-zeroing behavior was described in the manual, and that's what I first heard GJ was gaming), which I addressed by having the wait action actually cost one full turn.

The turn clock timing was probably a slightly less efficient method, but also worked and should be countered in 1.2, as now robots start with a random amount of time offset from the game clock, rather than all starting on a turn threshold.

So get some sensors and do it right :P. You can still of course get lucky with peeks when you're really fast, it's just no longer guaranteed is all.

dak

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »

Okay, PM'ed another batch there, check it out :)

Got it, thank you!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 08:10:43 AM »

Thanks to everyone who helped test out Beta 1.2 :D

We found a few things to fix up and it's a good one, ready for general download. See OP for the changelog!

(Anyone with a preview version should upgrade to the new 1.2.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:23:09 AM by Kyzrati »