Grid Sage Forums

• April 18, 2024, 03:38:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Enemies unblock doors under some conditions?  (Read 1025 times)

mindreader

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Enemies unblock doors under some conditions?
« on: April 14, 2017, 01:15:42 PM »

If I go into a room and stand next to the door, every enemy will go up into the entrance, and shoot at me from point blank.  But no matter how fast they are or how high their health is, they never make room for their compatriots.  I could understand if you are on tank treads, or low on health you might want to do what damage you can, but robots in cogmind never do that.

It just kinda feels weird that the AI is exploitable that way.  It seems like it wouldn't be hard to just step out of the way once in awhile.  I realize that would make the game a whole lot harder.  But I think it would also cause more interesting situations to occur.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Enemies unblock doors under some conditions?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »

Yeah we've had discussions about this a couple years ago when blocking doors emerged as the preferred defensive strategy.

Certainly it would be very easy to address on the AI side, but I've refrained from doing so because the conclusion is that combat would become extremely difficult without a way to block doors. Forget the early game--late game you'd be dead in no time unless you had an absolutely amazing ranged combat build.

Also remember that there are already several conditions in which enemies blocked by a door can still become a problem!
  • When they're blocked, they'll look for a way to flank you, which may be another entry into the room that you're not aware of (the hidden "emergency access" doors). This suddenly changes the tactical situation :). And of course there are the rooms that simply have two doors to begin with.
  • Hunters can also shoot you through the walls, somewhat complicating blocking as a defensive strategy.
  • And if you or any enemies have cannons, it won't be long before a stray shot opens up more entries into the room.
Especially with flanking there's already a variety of interesting situations, arguably more interesting than what you'd have if enemies were allowed to be smarter about opening up doorways to their allies, in which case you're basically just swarmed all the time in standard roguelike fashion.

In the end I don't think this behavior should be changed. (Anyone feel free to chip in to argue otherwise. I don't have links to the older arguments, but no one has ever argued in favor of allowing them to file in :P. In fact, right now there's still a "bug" whereby enemies behind robots in doorways may be able to jump over their friends to get into a room, and that gets a lot of complaints. I've attempted to find what's causing it and apply fixes several times... hopefully the fix coming in Alpha 15 will be the last one.)

(Anyway, this thread can be the repository for relevant discussion on this topic :D)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon