Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:21:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #78 [Alpha 14] [Seed: Silver Bullet]  (Read 1252 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #78 [Alpha 14] [Seed: Silver Bullet]
« on: March 24, 2017, 01:37:16 AM »

This week's seed: Silver Bullet

Straight through the heart of the complex.

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Silver Bullet] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #78 [Alpha 14] [Seed: Silver Bullet]
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:43:03 AM »

Hrmph. That must be one of my earliest wreckings ever, if not the earliest demise. They got me at -10, to first armed encounter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #78 [Alpha 14] [Seed: Silver Bullet]
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:31:25 PM »

Wow that was fast Widmo :P

My run went downhill from -7, where in classic fashion tactical errors led me to run out of matter at exactly the wrong time. The Moment of No Return:

In the end I couldn't really control the run at all, and from that point on I was generally in a poor state.

I had no Matter and there was nothing I could use nearby, but I did know a way into the caves, so I took it with the thought of picking up some scrap to refill my matter, thinking "hey, as long as there's not like, a behemoth waiting for me I'll be okay, right?" HAHAHA...
http://Not long after that I encountered more hostiles and ended up dropping my entire inventory just to get away :/

No luck at -6 with parts, so before long I retreated through a chute for another chance. Finally found a Recycling Unit from which I could extract a precious 25 matter, followed by a room with three Force Rifles!

And that was enough to get me back on my feet. Did I say feet? I meant wheels. Wheeling and dealing melee death.
http://Eventually made it back up on legs, mostly with the help of my programmer friend (stole him from a worker, and rebooted). He was rebooting and hacking everything for me... We even took on several MAIN.C cave outposts together.

I never fully recovered, though, seen here in the caves at one of the many points where I was being chased down and had little core left! (The Cld. Gravmags I picked up from Zhirov sure saved me many times, though.)
http://Going back through the -4 proximity caves with < 200 integrity the whole was was... crazy. Even had the base layout where I managed to race through the back door and hack open the exit.

Probably the tactical highlight of the run was where I recovered from this shortly after entering -3:

First drawing in the hunters to jump on the traps and zap them.

Then having these guys show up.... (I danced around to draw them in, too.)

And jumped on another trap to get the other hunter:

After which I grabbed all the hunters' weapons, retreated into the room, blasted all the grunts, and bam, we are back in business :D

Business was not good, however. That's a pretty trashy state for Research, so I ended up getting beat up before long, and fought retreating battles through -3 and a bunch of -2 before getting chased down.

Well, I can at least say there was never a non-tense moment this run xD

Practically tied my previous score...
Spoiler: Score: 19,382 (click to show/hide)
(Note: This was using unstable evolution, which doesn't affect the seed layout. It actually ended up with a pretty decent distribution, though!)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:33:17 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon