Grid Sage Forums

• April 23, 2024, 04:08:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: 1st Run - Mind Blown ... where to start ??  (Read 1362 times)

beldurax

• Unaware
    • View Profile
1st Run - Mind Blown ... where to start ??
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »

Just bought into the alpha last night.  Have been reading all about this game for a number of weeks now.
Started 1st run this morning.  Picked up my first Med. Storage Unit and managed to expand my Inventory to 8 items.  How to expand my Parts (Weapons, Utility, etc.) slots ?  Hmmmm.
The game is absolutely revolutionary.  Words cannot describe the experience.  Dy-no-mite !
I come from having spent the past 4-5 months playing Caves of Qud, and this alpha is easily in the same ballpark.

Thanks,
TDR

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: 1st Run - Mind Blown ... where to start ??
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:30:46 PM »

Welcome beldurax, glad you're already enjoying it--lots more to discover out there!

And you'll figure out the part slot thing before long ;)

(I'm sure Qud and Cogmind will be passing players back and forth for quite a while, although certainly they're completely different roguelike experiences, which is a good thing :D)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

beldurax

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 05:07:10 AM »

Thanks Kyzrati !
Managed to figure out the Parts expansion thing !  But then got blasted by a team of mercs on -9 ... oh well .... must stock up on guns .... must stock up on guns

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:18:51 AM »

Lots and lots of guns is a reliable way to survive the early game--one of my preferred strategies :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Shadowfury333

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »

Don't be afraid to go for early storage units. Even if you are planning to do a flying build, or similarly light build, getting a storage on -10 and dropping it on -9 or -8 after you get enough slots for that lighter build (or keeping it for a heavier one) will let you be more flexible when starting out, and if you are going for a light build, it generally requires 4+ flight units or 3+ hover units to pull off anyway. At that point, the choices are:

• Dedicate the initial storage space to flight/hover units, gambling on not losing too many weapons or power sources on -10
  • Gamble on finding enough flight/hover units and other useful parts on -8 or higher. Not a bad idea, but not fully reliable
  • Temporarily use storage units to hold onto flight/hover units and other useful bits found in -10 and maybe -9. More reliable than gambling later, and safer in case of mines than either other option, and allows for holding backup weapons and legs/treads if that is more immediately necessary