Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:48:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: ESC key access to game menu disabled but suggested  (Read 721 times)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
ESC key access to game menu disabled but suggested
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:25:19 PM »

New in Alpha 14:
NEW: ESC key access to game menu disabled by default in keyboard mode (can allow by setting allowEscMenuAccessKeyboard in config.cfg, or just use ?/F1)

When escape key is currently disabled please replace bottom left prompt which flashes for news by <F1/?>.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: ESC key access to game menu disabled but suggested
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:32:44 PM »

I think you mean bottom right, and yeah that would make sense.

Hm, too bad changing this is really annoying, because it could depend on the keyboard mode state and that means having to destroy the button and recreate it with a different length and position any time that changes. Implementing and testing this is probably not worth it, but I'll add it to the long-long-term list if I need something random to do for a little while...

(Would be much nicer if ESC and F1 had the same number of characters, because then I could just overwrite the letters!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:15:21 PM »

Yes bottom right. Who would guess a deceptively simple looking button would be so tricky to replace. Almost makes me want to suggest using dirty smelly hack like using <Fn1/?> or <F01/?> or <F1  ?>. Thankfully I resisted.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:22:42 PM »

Haha, that doesn't look like resisting to me ;)

I certainly thought about it for a moment, hacking it in anyway by using a space, but then of course it looks funny and that'll get reported as well :P

I'm sure it's easier for most other devs to do in their engine, though in my case, the way this particular button is implemented complicates things... Don't really think it's currently worth the amount of time it would take to do something about this :/
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon