Grid Sage Forums

• March 18, 2024, 10:09:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Dropping storage units with lots of inventory stacks items  (Read 1174 times)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Dropping storage units with lots of inventory stacks items
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »

Have full inventory and drop your storage, making the game automatically drop excessive inventory. Turns out the game first drops your inventory and then places your storage unit directly underneath yourself, thus making two-item stack at your position. I would expect such action to just overwrite items but surprisingly everything works if you pick things up again.

Does Cogmind support stacked items internally by chance?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Dropping storage units with lots of inventory stacks items
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:38:55 PM »

Yup, from the beginning Cogmind has technically supported stacked items, and I find it... pretty interesting that no one has noticed this storage dropping over the years! Perhaps it's because the only time anyone would really want to drop a storage unit like that is when they're about to run for their life and never return :P

Pretty interesting that it all still actually works when they end up stacked, hehe. Great find!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:30:46 PM »

Yeah, pretty weird. On the other hand this might be hard to notice even in relatively safe situations, like removing the only storage to attach a signal interpreter for stair identification purposes. All other utility were occupied by hackware, so this was the only way to "spend" an interpreter without damaging other processors. After getting stair read out I tend to simply attach the storage unit from floor and scoop up everything before vultures smell the loot without paying much attention.

The situation that made me notice it was a fight in Storage where I dropped a storage (duh ...) unit in order to replace it with armor piece because grunts were incoming while I was low on core. For evulz the armor piece just had to end up right below the storage unit, making me frantically search believing Cogmind just ate an item like that. After winning the fight I was almost wrecked and played very attentively which made me realize what was going on after collecting the storage unit.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »

Hehe, was a very good catch. Fixed it yesterday, and still amazed that this was in there and didn't, like, break anything :P. Though as mentioned technically Cogmind's cell inventory supports unlimited items, because it just uses the original X@COM code, where cells can hold multiple items since there's the UI to interact with them. Basically in Cogmind all the code is just always interacting with the "top item in the stack." In the end I'm glad I went with a "one item per space" rule, because it really streamlines the UI and overall experience.

This could be harder to justify in other roguelikes without so much open space to place items, but then of course mobs in most RLs don't drop nearly as much stuff as those in Cogmind can!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon