Grid Sage Forums

• April 25, 2024, 08:14:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Derelicts dropping gifts identify them for you  (Read 1230 times)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Derelicts dropping gifts identify them for you
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »

Mostly concerns Mines where players may be gifted mining lasers and rocket launchers by Derelicts who openly talk about what they are going to gift. Then I pick up unknown special melee weapon while perfectly aware what it is.

Also would like a certain other derelict who nonchalantly drops a grenade launcher drop me unknown launcher in that case.

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Derelicts dropping gifts identify them for you
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:55:04 PM »

...And also the one in Zion who always try to give me a free Storm Laser, but I've never get to see its stats. (It's like the only time I get to encounter him is when I'm going for flight build) :(

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »

...And also the one in Zion who always try to give me a free Storm Laser, but I've never get to see its stats. (It's like the only time I get to encounter him is when I'm going for flight build) :(
This one is a side effect of the fact that it should be a prototype, and by nature you don't know the details of prototypes.

Really I don't think it's too necessary to identify them by default, if only because even if they told you what it is, they wouldn't necessarily be so loquacious as to give you every little detail about its characteristics and performance, which you learn on connecting to it.

I mean, yes if there were some way to designate that you "know the name but not all details" then that would be appropriate here, but there is no middle ground. The good thing is you know they're not faulty.

Mostly concerns Mines where players may be gifted mining lasers and rocket launchers by Derelicts who openly talk about what they are going to gift.
But you already know what those are by default, since they're not prototypes. Or in this case are you referring to data loss due to corruption coincidentally causing those very things--common items--to become "Unknown [itemtypehere]"? (i.e., different from what DDarkRay is talking about)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:28:46 PM »

Yes, Kyzrati. I am talking about cases where corruption has wiped your knowledge of rocket launchers yet you are gifted one in unknown launcher "form". Unlike the case with repair station outfitting you with unknown item is obvious bug the gift being identified is partially dubious. Cogmind now realizes this is a rocket launcher but should be still unable to look up its damage ranges or other parameters because it has gone missing. However, the player often will know all that. My argument comes from gameplay perspective, asking to suspend realism here and go with what is more fun for player.

DDarkray, I have absolutely the same problem with Storm Laser! What is more when I actually do run a tank and choose to visit this place (mostly I decide against - there are not enough volatile targets in caves to sate my thirst for pretty ASCII explosions) and succeed (might be forced to turn back or get destroyed) the Derelict offering it just does not generate. As much as I want to learn its vital properties I cannot support you on this, because playing with Storm Laser should really be a kind of reward unto itself. Really sorry!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 07:39:16 PM »

Ah okay, so Unknown items due to data loss... Yeah there's an okay argument for that. The main problem being there is no central way to handle these instances--each one would have to be implemented on a case-by-case basis :/ (since this can only happen as a part of a special event/encounter, and all of them are scripted individually, some with different circumstances than others...). So, doable? Yes. Easy? Not exactly, so probably not worth it at this point.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon