Grid Sage Forums

• April 24, 2024, 11:03:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Hyperlink within lore collection  (Read 863 times)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Hyperlink within lore collection
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »

Cogmind has a massive collection of lores, and you can get a lot of the story's background information via hacking terminals. So you would have gather a lot of queries and try to see how they relate to one another. You know what you're still missing if you see an exclamation mark '!' next to a query within the query command.

However, it's a bit difficult to navigate the lore collection if you're trying to understand the story. There's no hyperlink that jumps you from one query to another (whereas query command works well when hacking terminal), so I would have to do a lot of scrolling to look for it. I also don't know which words have a query lore (since nothing is highlighted), nor which words are my missing query. (So I would have to take note of the missing queries whenever I encounter an '!' mark within a query command, just so I can manually hack for it in the future).

Hyperlinking query words within the lore collection would solve these problems. It would be easy to navigate if I can click on a query word to jump to that piece of lore. If there's a query word that I don't have, it can be highlighted as red with an '!' mark.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to implement this. Hopefully it's pretty simple!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Hyperlink within lore collection
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 05:18:41 PM »

Well, the answer is if it were pretty simply I would've already done it :P

I mean, conceptually it's not difficult, no, just building the architecture and UI to do that would take a while!

As with the work on any of Cogmind's larger subsystems, I'll often have X number of features that would be needed to consider it perfect, but will only have so much time for implementation and have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise too many other features get sacrificed for the sake of one.

If and when there is time, what you say here is something I would totally want to do. Of course "if and when there is time to..." can be said about a variety of systems I'd like to continue iterating on :P

So... maybe one day!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon