Grid Sage Forums

• April 24, 2024, 12:53:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Previews for the different fonts?  (Read 848 times)

Elronnd

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
    • em.slashem.me
Previews for the different fonts?
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »

I'm not sure how to describe it, but a picture is worth a thousand words.  Here's a mockup:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Previews for the different fonts?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:05:37 PM »

That would only work in a non-terminal-based engine (e.g., not Cogmind :P). Notice that all characters throughout the entire UI are aligned on a grid of a certain size, drawn from a character bitmap of glyphs in the current font style for that size. Any fonts of a different size will not fit the grid, and given the current architecture it's not even possible to show different fonts of the same dimensions within the same screen. But even if it were I wouldn't want to do that because then the menu would be inconsistent, showing different styles only for the size you were currently using. It's also a huge amount of work for something players will set once and then never set again!

That said, note there are also online full-size previews here.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Elronnd

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
    • em.slashem.me
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »

Since tiles are supported, couldn't you make a set of "tiles" for each font of the right size and display those tiles at the appropriate position?  Or are you not willing to do something that hacky (especially since there wouldn't necessarily be a 1-to-1 mapping of tile to character in some cases).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:52:20 AM »

Really the current characters are tiles--there is no difference when working with bitmap fonts, so that's not the issue. The main issue there is that the engine is not even capable of tile offsets! It can't even be hacked in without a rewrite of the entire way the render system works.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon