Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 01:47:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Cogmind on github?  (Read 1263 times)

Lemon

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Cogmind on github?
« on: April 20, 2022, 07:09:38 AM »

I think if the source code of cogmind was on github, The community could support its development through submitting commits. Also the knowledge of how cogmind works could lead to some more interesting/reasonable suggestions.

🗿
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 07:12:32 AM by Lemon »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Cogmind on github?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 07:46:14 AM »

The players who top the leaderboards and have discovered everything in the game all hang out on the Discord and have had a lot of great suggestions over the years--that's where a lot of adjustments come from on top of my own direction for expansion (I hang out there daily as well). There's already waaaay more planned and possible than will be eventually be implemented, I'm sure, but it's not an open source project so won't be on GitHub (aside from what's already there, anyway, but that's the protobuffer format for public reference by third-party tools :P).

Also there's the in-progress format for data sharing with third-party Cogmind-playing AIs, but that's not yet on GitHub, currently only barely documented and in a fledgling state since only one person is using it.

But anyway, the hidden channels on the Discord (access on request due to spoilers) are where the vast majority of suggestions are fielded and hashed out. There's also a lot of collective knowledge there with regard to what's feasible, and my opinions on various ideas. The original plan was for all that to be forum-based so that it's easier to organize and reference, but here we are years later with hundreds of thousands of chat lines instead xD. Oh well, the process is certainly more fun and lively that way!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Lemon

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 10:09:13 AM »

I understand that the forums and discord are the preferred way of taking suggestions, but a bit of coding help surely wouldn't hurt though? I'm sure if multiple people helped You the development of future Betas would speed up significantly.

And why isn't it an open source project? There are multiple games both big and small titles that are open source, and they have only benefitted from it. There doesn't seem to be much danger from someone spreading the game around for free since the only way I know of for people to do that is either through the discord (which isn't a public server, so people can't find it randomly or search for it in exploring) the forums (that have a 1mb file size limit, so definitely not enough for an entire game) and steam (which has a lot of protection against plagiarism).
I know that reading someone elses code might be confusing, but I honestly see all Pros, no Cons  :P.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 01:42:20 AM »

"all pros, no cons"??? xD

This topic has come up a few times in the community, actually, including recently in passing, when it was pointed out how much better Cogmind does certain things than the various open source roguelikes. Not to say one or the other approach is better in every way, they're just definitely different approaches with unique advantages and disadvantages--when you get down into the details, there are lots of pros and cons to either one.

There are quite a few roguelikes that are open source, for sure, though they're also hobby projects and not someone's livelihood/full-time job based around a personal vision :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon