Grid Sage Forums

• April 23, 2024, 12:44:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Constructs with built-in utilities.  (Read 1262 times)

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Constructs with built-in utilities.
« on: October 13, 2022, 09:29:33 AM »

So, I've just read the new post about the Scrap Engine and constructs, and I've come up with an idea of how to utilize utilities. What if constructs can have built-in appropriate utilities? For example, a gun with a built-in Kinecellerator.
Using a utility in building or upgrading a construct adds to its mass and applies an appropriate effect. Here are some ideas:
  • Cooling — decrease the heat output.
  • Power Amplifier (only for power sources) — increase power output.
  • Appropriate weapon utilities, like Kinecellerator, Particle Charger, etc... — apply their effect to the construct.
And maybe even have some other effects like:
  • Visual Processing Unit (only for weapons) — increase accuracy?
  • Structural Scanner (only for penetrating weapons) — increase penetration chances?
So, you get some improvements for your constructs for a cost of higher mass.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Constructs with built-in utilities.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 08:30:52 PM »

Not compatible with Cogmind's item design or architecture. My first instinct is to tack on "unfortunately" there, but the limitations in that regard, both for constructs and item design in general, are quite intentional. You can read more about that in Item Variants and Randomization in Roguelikes, which touches on some of the fundamentals of Cogmind's items and why they're designed with their current limitations.

Constructs will already be quite a unique mix of capabilities, but they won't extend to utilities, or utility-like effects.

I have previously done some brainstorming on other types of hybrid utility-like effects enabled through a separate dedicated system, but even that one still doesn't seem too likely to actually be implemented.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Storm Mk9

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 08:50:52 PM »

(Kyzrati replied while i was still typing, call that timing!)

Considering how Constructs are being balanced, i don't really see these being added, at least not without some serious balancing changes, purely beneficial effects like that is something that it seems like is being avoided. That being said, i'm far from the best authority on this, so take that with a grain of salt. There would absolutely be a way to balance it, of course, but it would probably need a lot more than just mass, e.g. Power Amplifier increasing power generation, at the cost of a similar, if not higher increase in the Construct's heat generation, or something like the Weapon Cycler, reducing delay slightly, but also reducing accuracy, and adding to the power usage. But again, i'm not Kyzrati, so who am i to say?

I will say, though, i did have a related idea, of things like weapon shielding, power shielding, and propulsion shielding (which the Scrap Engine can use anyway) repairing EITHER the scrap engine or a relevant construct, depending which needs it more. Although again, i'm far from the best authority on this, i haven't even gotten to use the Scrap Engine for myself yet.

(also clearly it would be Targeting Computer for accuracy, Visual Processing Unit would be range, if anything)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 09:05:37 PM »

Well the armor stuff is there for repairing the Scrap Engine, but as described in the recent article about the engine itself, the point of allowing the modification process to repair parts is to force them to likely undergo some sort of modification in exchange for the benefit of maintaining them over the long run in the first place. Allowing players to almost always continue using the same constructs is waaaaaay too good, because you can build some which are insanely effective--way better than normal parts. The balancing factor is that eventually you're going to need to modify it, and the best constructs are likely to become less good in the process, thereby creating that wave of ups and downs I described as you try to build the best constructs but also protect and maintain them at the same time. You can definitely extend the life of good constructs without modification for quite a while via armor, shielding, force fields, and simply good tactics, but not likely forever! (if armor could also repair them, it would be much easier for a good player to infinitely maintain constructs, which is very much against their design, and the design of Cogmind in general--see the RPGLIKE event and how it basically ruins the premise :P)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon