Grid Sage Forums

• April 24, 2024, 02:06:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Adapting my Way to Glory  (Read 1335 times)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Adapting my Way to Glory
« on: January 21, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »

I just won my last run with a constantly changing build. At first, I was thinking of doing a stealth/hacker build, just to test out how much hacking got nerfed. However, early game stealth build has always been difficult for me. Losing my flight units is a very common problem for me, so I was thinking of doing some combat build at first, then switch over after ascending a couple of floors.

After ascending to -8, I found a bunch of imp. flight units, so I was like, "Hey, let's do this!" I proceeded to abandon all my legs and some weapons for them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turns out, none of my flight units lasted long. I stumbled across an exit which I thought would lead to the next floor, but instead, it led to the Storage area! Absolutely the worst place to be for me! Now I wish I had kept my combat build.  :(

I was able to escape in one piece, but oh man, the nightmare!

Spoiler: Hiding from angry mobs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Oh my goodness... (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The stairs! (click to show/hide)

So yeah, I lost all my flight units (which sucks), but on the other hand, I found a really nice prototype hover unit, so as a result, I started to go for a stealth hover build. (wait, what?)

Spoiler: Behold, the new item! (click to show/hide)

It was pretty fun while it lasted, but starting at floor -5, I've been under fire throughout the game. Propulsion got wiped out fairly quickly, so throughout the game, I've been switching gears to all sorts of propulsion, from hover units to:

Spoiler: Treads (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flight Units (again!) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Legs (click to show/hide)

Throughout the Factory and Research levels, I don't know how I should build my Cogmind, whether to go for stealth or combat build. I've been switching back and forth a lot of times, but as the game progressed, my sensor array and hacking utilities are withering away. Meanwhile, I started to collect a lot of weapons and Adv. Targeting Computer, so it became clear to me that I should go for combat-style. And when I stumbled upon Antigrav Array, they were amazing for speed yet capable for holding so much weight! Being able to fight and run well is quite significant to me. So that was my final build: my combat hover build! Naturally, it didn't take a lot of time to find the surface.

Overall, it's a really fun run! :)

Spoiler: Scoresheet (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Adapting my Way to Glory
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 07:03:57 PM »

Now that is an inspiring run! Always feels so much cooler when you were near death a number of times...

Combat hover is a much more viable strategy these days. I've used it once before too, and had a lot of fun with it.

I can't believe I'm doing this #2: Getting matter from Recycling Machine!
Haha, there are a bunch of mechanics (and parts!) out there which don't seem all that useful until you're desperate, then suddenly you're incredibly happy to have them :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon