Grid Sage Forums

• April 20, 2024, 03:23:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Targeting Overhaul  (Read 1744 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Targeting Overhaul
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:39:11 AM »

The targeting system is very old, like added almost five years ago from 7DRL times old, and it really needs to be brought up to the same quality as the rest of the UI. I'd like to try to fit this in for Alpha 13.

I thought about it for a long while today and the best solution I could come up with involves the following changes and new functionality. Directly from my notes:
  • remove all targeting options (unified/singular behavior)
  • if any armed hostiles in sight, tab/shift-tab cycle through those, nearest to furthest (unarmed/non-hostile ignored)
  • otherwise if any non-allies in sight cycles through those
  • will also add "+/-" keys  (-/=) to do the same thing as tab/shift-tab
  • will always prioritize previous target if still in view and start targeting again
  • if fired at a space instead, entering firing mode will again target that space (if in view)
  • if fired a guided weapon and firing again, will recall/reload same waypoints (if all of them still in view)
  • if enter targeting mode via 'f' with only a melee weapon active, autotargeting will only select from among adjacent targets
  • item cycling will also change to use near-far order, to match targeting behavior
Any opinions on this? I'll probably be implementing it tomorrow.

Edit: Spent most of today doing all this and more. All ready for smooth keyboard targeting action as you can see below :)

Near-to-far armed hostiles cycling:

Automatically re-targeting the same space again (for obvious nefarious purposes):

Auto-recall previously used waypoints for subsequent guided weapon firing:

Item near-to-far examine (although in most case it'll still be more efficient to just move or jump the examine cursor, or use the popup labels):

Oh yeah, the jumping is here--cursor jumping a customizable distance via Shift-Numpad (sorry, no vi/arrow support for this one):

(and more I didn't record)

Edit 2: All this and more is in the latest release, Alpha 13.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:23:39 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Targeting Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:49:18 AM »

Sounds great to me.

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 02:57:57 AM »

Does targeting a space override autotargeting even if only a melee weapon is employed? If so it sounds great.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:00:24 AM »

Yes, there would be no difference with melee there--it would also prioritize a space.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »

And done (updated OP).

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »

I guess it doesn't have much effect for the mouse players? (Except for the waypoints from guided weapons?)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »

Not really, no. Just the guided waypoint reloading, I think. Mouse players don't need targeting assistance in the first place, since you can just click on whatever you want to shoot at :P

Senjai

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 01:54:03 AM »

Please consider adding vi key jumping. Even if we had to hold down another modifier key. I play without a numpad :/ (laptop)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 02:09:35 AM »

Oh I certainly already considered it. My aim has always been to keep all four forms of movement keys valid under all conditions, but as you can imagine vi keys is especially hard due to the character overlap with other commands. I believe this happens to be one of only two (?) things it can't do...

We don't really have much in the way of keys left, and the usefulness of this particular features seems lower priority than other possibilities. The only way I can see this working is to make the targeting mode more modal than it is, which would free up more keys/combinations/modifiers, for example shift-letter can again be used together with vi keys to enable jumping rather than opening part info. I could add this as an option at some point; it's on the long term list, anyway.

(Personally I never found jumping to be all that useful given the current feature set--I'm a numpad user and don't bother with it :P)