Grid Sage Forums

• April 19, 2024, 02:20:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Suggestion Guidelines  (Read 12763 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Suggestion Guidelines
« on: May 18, 2015, 04:25:05 AM »

You can suggest pretty much anything. After all they're just suggestions and can at least lead to some interesting discussion. Make a new thread for your new suggestions! (Don't tack new suggestions onto existing unrelated threads.)

Keep in mind that there are already clear design goals for Cogmind, as well as more to the game than is publicly available knowledge, all of which must be taken into account before implementing changes or new features.

That said, I take all suggestions under consideration in shaping Cogmind's development. Some of the game's important features and content were the result of either direct suggestions or comments that sparked my imagination or indirectly influenced the game in some other way.

Some existing/ongoing aggregate suggestion threads:

Some suggestion topics are inevitable dead ends so I'll give my responses here to head those off. I'm the kind of dev who likes to say "yes, we will totally do that," but here is the page where I have no choice but to express a lot of Nope ::)

Larger Fonts. While Cogmind does come with very large fonts, some players want to play on laptops where physical screen size (not resolution) can be a limiting factor depending on player vision, and those large fonts are inaccessible because there is no zooming like you might find in other games (due to the terminal-based nature of the interface). Cogmind's mechanics, and by extension the UI, were designed for a grid no smaller than 80x60, thus physical screen size plays a determining role here. Following a comprehensive analysis and multiple community discussions during alpha development, Cogmind will not be redesigned to suit smaller screens. Given the situation, what can be done to alleviate the issue is either insufficient or requires a complete redesign. (Note: To avoid misunderstandings I put together a dedicated page where prospective players can preview what Cogmind looks like on their screen of choice.)

Mobile/Tablet Support. Games for these platforms are best designed from the bottom up to work in that environment, while Cogmind focuses on what works best for PCs. Many design elements, everything from the interface to the mechanics, would be quite different if implementing the same game concept for that kind of platform.

Multiplayer. Not happening. The closest we'll get is high score competitions, seed-based tournaments, and similar events. Feel free to organize these on your own / amongst yourselves, by the way. There will be official tournaments at various points, but as long as there's interest why not have more?!

Modding. I have no doubt there is modding interest, but Cogmind isn't really that kind of game, at least not now. It may be possible one day, but even then it will be somewhat limited because the game was not created to be highly moddable. If you're into modding, take a look at my other project X@COM, which will eventually make a glorious return based on advances made during Cogmind development, while also including a major focus on user-created mods and even total conversions.

(This topic will likely be updated in the future with more information.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:49:10 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon