Grid Sage Forums

• April 18, 2024, 06:06:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Scan window does not update if standing in place has effect  (Read 657 times)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Scan window does not update if standing in place has effect
« on: January 08, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »

This might be most trivial bug found to date. Wishing to draw on contents of my high capacity matter pod I dropped it and waited a turn for the extraction to take place. I had no intention of attaching it because combat was not prolonged enough to warrant dedicating a slot for this. Scan windows seems not to update after waiting in place because it still displayed full matter pod.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Scan window does not update if standing in place has effect
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »

Ah, I see in the code this is because I never finished implementing checking of item status at the same position because it's a lot of work for very little benefit... There's just a //TODO there :P

It's not as easy as simply having it update the window on waiting, because if something changes, the scan window should emit a sound and redraw/reanimate its contents, but that shouldn't be done unless it can be confirmed 100% that something did change.

So technically this isn't the only change which might not trigger a scan update. Even the item integrity change update was "faked" into the system with a hack (apparently if the item is replaced with another of identical integrity at that same position, the window actually won't update!). Probably the best I could do here without spending ages on it would be to add an explicit check for container contents, akin to how integrity checking is handled...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Scan window does not update if standing in place has effect
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »

(Just added this in, and technically it would seem this is probably the only such case where the scan window might not be accurate for items, because I'd forgotten that the scan window doesn't really show much, anyway :P. Updating for resource container content changes was just never considered in the first place because item names and the scan window reflecting container contents were as only added later.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon