Grid Sage Forums

• April 19, 2024, 03:47:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Tunnelling may double up world map unvisited markers  (Read 676 times)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Tunnelling may double up world map unvisited markers
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:42:27 AM »

The screenshot attached mostly explains it. Let me comment though I am fine with tunnelling recovering same information twice in a row. It is very much in theme. Besides, we are speaking abount a brute force hack there. It has no finesse. Also information about floors below Cogmind's current location is fine as well. "Ah, so that was the depth Storage was at! No wonder I could not find it".

The world map should not accept duplicates (I see it already protects against this in case of branch areas) and it should reject registering areas already visited. If mines at -10 are revealed and you visited them but are at -8 for example these would still register.

edit: When you find a derelict log which grants you information about location already present on your world map could you please modify the message to say "Wolrd map data confirmed" instead of "World map updated"?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:46:41 AM by Widmo »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Tunnelling may double up world map unvisited markers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 07:23:27 AM »

The screenshot attached mostly explains it. Let me comment though I am fine with tunnelling recovering same information twice in a row. It is very much in theme. Besides, we are speaking abount a brute force hack there. It has no finesse. Also information about floors below Cogmind's current location is fine as well. "Ah, so that was the depth Storage was at! No wonder I could not find it".
That was my thinking as well--it was intentional :)

That said, in inspecting this more closely I found that my algorithm didn't match up with my intentions as per the comments: Realistically speaking (and mechanically this is nicer), tunneling should be more likely to discover maps closer to your current depth, but it's been more heavily weighing maps at lower depths instead. I've changed it to be as intended.

The world map should not accept duplicates (I see it already protects against this in case of branch areas) and it should reject registering areas already visited. If mines at -10 are revealed and you visited them but are at -8 for example these would still register.
This doesn't look to be in error. There are actually multiple possible Factory maps at the same depth, which you can reach via Waste, so if there are any chute traps available then those maps become accessible and tunneling can reveal them.

If you see it happen anywhere else that would be a problem, though! (I'm pretty sure it's impossible based on the source, but you never know :P)

That said, it probably makes sense to just block the extra world map indicators for same-depth Factory areas to avoid confusion.

edit: When you find a derelict log which grants you information about location already present on your world map could you please modify the message to say "Wolrd map data confirmed" instead of "World map updated"?
Done.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:33:22 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon