Grid Sage Forums

• April 15, 2024, 09:32:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Brutal spoilers] Exploited hackware snowball effect  (Read 1989 times)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
[Brutal spoilers] Exploited hackware snowball effect
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:28:13 AM »

Reading the thread about hackware snowball effect I wondered if it is really that bad. All my previous experiments with datajack turned out to be thorough waste of time. Not only the datajack seldom works but then you also have to do it successfully several times in order to do anything useful. In meantime maintenance bots flee from you and combat bots shoot at you. Bleh!

From this point on spoilerific part starts. If you can follow this recipe Cogmind can be beaten with 100% certainty.

To check it out I turned my current game into datajack wielding nightmare. It really does snowball. First you get a single hackware which allows you to fabricate additional ones more easily. When you pile up on those you can use them to obtain advanced schematics to get even more mileage of your utility slots.

Then the datajack starts to be useful when it happens to work meaning you can minimize matter losses on remote attacks. When you get some meatshield grunts on your side they can take the heat while you convert the opposition to your cause. With ever-growing entourage you actually have surplus matter from the bots you did not convert in time and your destroyed followers.

Next cheesy tactics like garrison camping start to be viable. Challenges get turned upside down: you want yourself to be scanned by researchers so that you can have stronger followers. Soon you have army of prototypes on your side: Striker, Lightning, Executioner, Alpha 7 ... nothing can stand your might except artificially immune Behemoths. If (when?) you get the guided datajack you can oneshotconvert any enemies to your cause. Operators reveal all hazards which usually is a prize for worthy achievement of outsmartnig one but now this is trivial. Oh, an operator on radar? Zapp! Welcome to our army. No, there is no need to worry about that terminal.

With influence staying mostly low because you are not destroying robots the game becomes a walk in the park. I lost my guided datajack in an explosion of a machine which did slow things down but nothing too bad. I once let a behemoth destroy half my utilities because of boredom. I rebuilt pretty quickly. You can see some advanced hackware because there was little incentive to upgrade them.

The final verdict? 100% chances on very difficult hacks like recall assault are nowhere as breaking as 95% chance on robot assimilation. There is database lockout plus fabricator lockout to limit ordinary exploits. At access I had option of venturing to command but I was so thoroughly tired by the unexciting game I went straight for the exit. My run is currently at the top ot high scores anyway.

Soon I am going to make my way over to the snowball thread. There are a few thoughts I wish to share but not before I put here my other win though because this one is unworthy. It did not require much effort or skill. As the warrior said "I am disgraced by letting this score sheet be automatically submitted".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Brutal spoilers] Exploited hackware snowball effect
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:10:49 AM »

As the warrior said "I am disgraced by letting this score sheet be automatically submitted".
Ah, a third contender (was surprised to see you suddenly top the board today, and was wondering when you might some details :P).

Two of the other long-time top scorers (zxc, Sherlockkat) uncovered this strategy in Alpha 11-12 as well, and have been using it to basically own the game. Like you, they eventually have armies of whatever they want, hence the snowball thread.

As you'll see in that thread, the main goal of changes will be to tackle the now-OP combat hacker strategy, especially the ability to overload and assimilate, which before now was never really balanced with the rest of the game because no one was using it anyway. But yeah, let's talk about that specifically over there. Your input will be appreciated!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon