Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 04:54:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #70 [Alpha 12] [Seed: Festive Season]  (Read 1754 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #70 [Alpha 12] [Seed: Festive Season]
« on: December 26, 2016, 12:07:23 AM »

This week's seed: Festive Season

Happy holidays everyone!

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

No screenshots because I have a game in progress already and I don't like messing around with save files. :)

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Festive Season] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #70 [Alpha 12] [Seed: Festive Season]
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:26:50 AM »

Another close one (VOD).

I did another 4-gun immediate start, and this time decided to take that idea even further, getting up to 6 guns while still in the mid-game. As you would expect with that many guns, it was fun :)

I spent one-third of my 12k turns in -7 alone, after avoiding two separate Chute Trap arrays then falling into a third :P, then making my way back to -7 and ending up going through all the caves at that depth as well...

This run had quite a number of incidental allies along the way, and there were a lot of weapons in this seed--the perfect situation for my build :D. I found many more weapon caches than I could loot, and ended up cycling through EM, kinetic, thermal... everything.

In the end
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, good game!

One of the high points early on, where I outmaneuvered all these Compactors and their friends :). Didn't take a scratch despite being on legs. However I did on first entering drop one of my Lrg. Storage to ensure I wasn't overweight!

Arrow Squad, charge!

Me and friends blowing stuff up.

Still killing stuff together on the next floor.

Deadly thermal loadout.

Still not doing too bad after surviving encounter after encounter on the final floor.

The gruesome end.

Spoiler: Score: 27,939 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 02:10:02 PM »

I find it fun to see you go ASCII/keyboard but switching to graphics for screenshots. Also, since I play only ASCII I fail to recognize many things on graphical view. :-)

You had seven legs! Seven! Normally having that many propulsion slots is invitation to go hovering or even flying but I imagine all those thermal guns were sucking power like alcoholics do with vodka. That might have been an obstacle. Hottest volley 616 also says something about meltdown potential. I find it strange you melted only two robots.

Your highest corruption is absolutely scary. I find even 10% a good reason to change floors or try for quarantine array support when that happens.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »

Heh, I got up to 54% corruption. Pretty high! It was all those tough Programmers I was facing in the last couple floors there... I've been higher, though. 83% is my highest ever, I believe. It's survivable, just problematic :P. There are also some parts that can bring your corruption down, and other ways to prevent or remove it, though with my builds I usually don't bother. Very tanky!

The legs were pretty overkill. I was having some difficulty deciding which route to take, because at one point it started looking like it might be a good idea to switch to hover, but I found enough really good legs that I couldn't resist sticking with legs. So--lotsa leg "armor." Also I had a lot of weapon slots, meaning that with some loadouts I could end up with too much mass if I didn't have enough leg support.

Power was a big problem for much of the second half of my run, which was pretty interesting because that's never really happened to me before. It was all those guns, and I didn't take a second power slot until the end.

The low number of meltdowns is because my full thermal volleys were actually so powerful that they killed everything before they could overheat them. You can sorta see that with the "Parts Melted" stat: 51 (because even if you don't cause a target meltdown, high heat still melts some of their parts). It's one of the contradictions of thermal and meltdowns--the more likely you are to melt them, the more likely you are to also just kill them from all the damage causing that heat transfer! Some notable exceptions are flamers (of course) and lots of low-powered thermal guns, either loadout of which will probably melt before killing outright. By comparison I was using very powerful thermal gear...

And yeah I usually stream with tiles (sometimes showing ASCII for fun), but when I play on my own I use ASCII, so you'll see screenshots of both. Funny how it kinda divides the player base by what they're used to reading, but then even some long-time players who tend to stick with one will start to become familiar with the other :)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »

Ran with the seed myself but ended up dismantled by swarmers in mines. Oh, well. No score log in that case.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 04:06:09 AM »

Aw... well, in Alpha 13 the Mines won't be quite so deadly, and even have some occasional interesting new stuff :)