Grid Sage Forums

• March 19, 2024, 02:24:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [beta 7.2] 'Matter reserves' is cut off in Recycling Unit message  (Read 1260 times)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile

Have scavengers load a Recycling Unit full of junk and have it list inventory of process it. If there is more items than one results page can hold two things happen.

First, results window is immediately scrolled to the bottom of the list. This causes an apparent pause where nothing happens but I believe game is delaying for animating parts outside viewport. Then the names of parts in visible area get animated. Could we get some progressive scrolling here or at least no delay for text outside view area?

Second, often the initial line is written again but without first character. I got " atter reserves" and " nalyzing inventory". You can find screenshots attached.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Large inventory in Recycling Unit causes minor display troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 12:34:09 AM »

First, results window is immediately scrolled to the bottom of the list. This causes an apparent pause where nothing happens but I believe game is delaying for animating parts outside viewport. Then the names of parts in visible area get animated. Could we get some progressive scrolling here or at least no delay for text outside view area?
Yeah this is a known issue that's been reported before, and can also happen with other terminal interaction such as hacking Hauler Manifests on floors with tons of packed Haulers. It's theoretically possible to enable that kind of automatic scrolling, but is kind of a big project for something so small (because it would require implementing a whole new system to control it), so I've had it on low priority for a while.

Second, often the initial line is written again but without first character. I got " atter reserves" and " nalyzing inventory". You can find screenshots attached.
This one I haven't seen, though. Guess something about the delay is skipping the animation of the first character by the time the column finishes. I'll look into it when I think of what to do about the scrolling.

There's actually a third little bug in here, too: When it finishes scrolling such a long list it also may not actually stop the text sfx, which continues playing until you close the window, hack something else, or otherwise do something that causes another typing sound... That's another issue I've had on low priority (also disproportionally difficult to solve relevant to the amount of benefit :P).

Guess this one will live in the bug reports for a while until I can get to doing something about this (given the architecture it could take at least half a day to completely solve all these, which would be time much better spent on other stuff!).

Thanks for the reference images!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Large inventory in Recycling Unit causes minor display troubles
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 09:50:35 AM »

Okay, good to know about the scrolling. As written above just eliminating the delay for entries out of window would be just fine to consider the case solved. Scrolling is really the icing on a cake.

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[beta 7.2] 'Matter reserves' is cut off in Recycling Unit message
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 04:18:29 PM »

When a Recycling Unit has a large enough inventory, 'Matter Reserves' is cut off and becomes 'Atter Reserves' at the end. See screenshot.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [beta 7.2] 'Matter reserves' is cut off in Recycling Unit message
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »

Yeah this is actually an old bug from the early days which has been reported before, but I couldn't repeat it before so I wasn't able to fix it. I've merged this thread into the original one, and will check it out again now that there's a save.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [beta 7.2] 'Matter reserves' is cut off in Recycling Unit message
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 06:30:15 PM »

Excellent, thanks for the save, finally managed to track this one down. The cause was of course something other than what it appeared to be, so the save was crucial in being able to reproduce it :D