Grid Sage Forums

• April 24, 2024, 01:33:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #68 [Alpha 12] [Seed: Nuclear Meltdown]  (Read 3447 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #68 [Alpha 12] [Seed: Nuclear Meltdown]
« on: December 10, 2016, 02:08:49 AM »

This week's seed: Nuclear Meltdown

Feel the heat

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.

Good luck and have fun!

No screenshots because I have a game in progress already and I don't like messing around with save files. :)

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Nuclear Meltdown] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #68 [Alpha 12] [Seed: Nuclear Meltdown]
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »

At first, I tried to do a stealth build with flight units instead of combat build. Of course, I'm so bad at it! I find it very difficult to replace the flight units that was lost. Mostly due to:

1) Lack of weapons to fight
http://imgur.com/a/22eAM (Better get outta here!)

2) Too many incoming enemies
http://imgur.com/a/SKB1b (Ooooooh!!!)
http://imgur.com/a/rjdny (Ahhhhh!!!)

3) Too many reinforcements from damaging Conveyors
http://imgur.com/a/5NK4s (My last flight unit gone...)  :'(

So then, I switched over to legs and hopefully I can get outta this place with just 2 weapon slot...

http://imgur.com/a/5dW1W (Or not...)
http://imgur.com/a/lrpQY
http://imgur.com/a/1MfT3

And I died with full inventory but zero core. Stealth build seems too difficult for me!

Scoresheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:57:55 AM »

Stealth is really a very different way of thinking about things. I find it hard to take that approach myself. I always just want to shoot stuff :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 02:29:48 AM »

Well, an almost win for me on this seed. Disclaimer: I wasn't trying to win ;)

It was a lot of fun, though, doing a few things that I normally wouldn't, or trying different strategies, just whatever seemed like fun at the time.

Turned out to be a pretty wild ride, heading into Storage at -8, then after messing up half the floor I decided to duck into Recycling to skip up a couple floors.

Later I intentionally set off into the Upper Caves, where I proceeded to attach yet a third Lrg. Storage after meeting a couple Minesweepers. Had a pack full of traps and setting them was great. In fact, one of those traps saved my life later! ...I was completed disarmed and retreating from two Programmers and a Sentry, when I installed my last dirty bomb near a doorway and headed back behind a machine--first Programmer sidestepped my trap and advanced, but the second ran over it, blowing himself up, taking out two nearby Power Conduits, and disabling both the Sentry and his friend :). I had just enough time to grab all the loot in the room, rebuild, and escape to the exit I'd already identified earlier via intel.

While spelunking I made a visit to a special someone in the caves, and wow the resulting chaos in Research was a sight to behold. I spent 4.7k turns in that place, and got beaten to a pulp multiple times, only to come back each time and eventually ascended to the subsurface level.

Seriously, look at this fight :P
Me and my 197 core, and it wasn't really possible to acquire any storage on that floor to replace what I'd lost, so I couldn't bring much of the awesome loot to the next floor :/

Before that I was looking much better:
(but, you know, 4.7k turns facing off against all kinds of crazy stuff...)

Oh yeah, and before all that I visited Armory, where I also got beaten to a pulp. I've never been there before on a real run; fun :D. Here's me bypassing the guards to head straight for the exit--44 core left! Yay for derelict intel!

Access wasn't going too bad, until I dug through the wrong wall and knocked on the wrong door. The Behemoth wasn't happy, and neither were his Hunter friends. Nor the other Hunter friends who came from the other direction. Nor the Programmers coming from both directions xD

Basically it turned into a mess, but I had made several careless mistakes both here and before this on the run. (Cogmind requires a good bit of concentration to consider all the important factors, and doesn't go well with streaming, at least not for me :P) This is about where I died, accosted from all sides:

Very close to the end.

Actually, if not for a bug already scheduled to be fixed for Alpha 13, I may have survived that confrontation! If you see in my inventory, I'd saved up a couple Adv. Hacking Suites I was going to use to locate the exit, and had a datajack taken from a Programmer not long before. So after retreating north I had all my legs shot off, attached armor and hacking gear, successfully rebooted the main Programmer, then was going to overload or reboot his friends, but the Programmer was remotely blocking my hacks despite being in the process of rebooting! Argh, not cool, Programmer! Obviously that should not be allowed. I'll get you next time!!!

This whole run was streamed (VOD), and we even had a visit from streamer livebyfoma (KY) and DoomRL/Jupiter Hell developer Kornel (KS in progress) which brought in 70 viewers at one point :). A fair number of spoilers at various points in this run, something I wasn't bothering to avoid like I sometimes do (e.g. last stream).

Spoiler: Score: 23,761 (click to show/hide)

elite277

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 06:42:08 AM »

I'm going to play anyway so I may as well take part in this I figure. I stand ready to begin my adventure, notepad open for the tales of my quest. let's go.

Diary of run, screenshots, fluff, such alike.

TOTAL SCORE: 7526

I enjoyed this run, despite not being particularly well scoring. I had hoped my luck would hold with my evasive equipment but that fateful sensor jamming and swarmer sealed my fate, though it took a few floors to catch up with me. It took me a day to find time to format the data for a forum post, I'm not familiar with the code so i hope it's OK.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:03:02 PM »

I love it when players write these 8)

Haha, identity crisis... And your Defender buddy should've kept his same name, the "3" being a reference to the depth he joined you on (third upward), and the letter being the sequence (so "A" is first, followed by "B" etc.). That used to work, but I did recently change the code for bringing allies from one floor to another, so there appears to be an oversight that's allowing them to be renamed. I'll need to look into that again, fix it up, and credit you for it.

That's a harrowing escape into Research, and you rebuilt pretty well in -2! Until you're more familiar with what kinds of things you'll encounter up there, though, it's a brutal place to be :)

elite277

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 05:36:30 AM »

It was amusing to write. Taking the time to think about my actions and record them makes for better decision making and part of the fun of such things are the emergent stories and such that arise. I've probably had as much fun explaining various situations and events that arise in games like dwarf fortress to my friends as I had playing to begin with. It's the journey not the destination as they say.

It's interesting to know the naming behavior wasn't intended. I wasn't really sure by what means the naming conventions were derived but it's interesting to know exactly how it works. I'd assumed it was the type of thing that under normal conditions people wouldn't care about enough to check, far less notice. If it wasn't for my recording of events I probably wouldn't have either. I didn't think of it as a bug so much as a quirk, I'm glad It's been of use to you and thanks for the credit.  ;D

Far too many times in this run i found myself forced to flee a floor and lucky to have been able to. The margin for error seems low on this type of build, one bad exchange can really set me back badly, and a fear of exchanges at all starves resources and score seemingly. Research is certainly where most my runs end, if I don't get too sloppy in factory anyway. I was quite pleased at my covert approach and how much ground i covered with it, something of a first for me.

Thanks for the opportunity zxc  ::)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 06:38:24 AM »

I've probably had as much fun explaining various situations and events that arise in games like dwarf fortress to my friends as I had playing to begin with. It's the journey not the destination as they say.
Quite true! There are a bunch of roguelikes I don't play myself but am happy to read what others write about their experiences. But someone has to play them, too :)

It's interesting to know the naming behavior wasn't intended. I wasn't really sure by what means the naming conventions were derived but it's interesting to know exactly how it works.
The goal was simply to 1) allow you to differentiate each ally by name, even those of the same variant, and 2) remind you how far you might have brought particular allies, in case you managed to keep one for longer, as in your case. Though honestly most allies don't last long enough for that to matter! This aspect is changing with time, though--as we approach 1.0 one of the intended newer styles of play is maintaining a small army of allies, i.e. the "summoner build."

In any case, there is certainly a distinct purpose behind pretty much every design decision you'll come across out there!

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 07:45:40 AM »

as we approach 1.0 one of the intended newer styles of play is maintaining a small army of allies, i.e. the "summoner build."

I. Want. This.