Grid Sage Forums

• April 16, 2024, 03:27:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Feature Request] Text Tool, Brushes, Presets and Selection Tool  (Read 1683 times)

c

• Unaware
    • View Profile

After using REXPaint for a little while, two features came in to mind.

Text: Shift + Return should insert a newline

The text tool currently lacks the ability to insert newlines—pressing Enter commits the change—therefore I propose that Shift + Return could insert newlines.

Tool: Brushes

Something I miss in REXPaint that currently are in other ASCII editors are some kind of brush that draws specified characters based on size, smoothness and character set.

An example of this can be seen in PabloDraw:

In PabloDraw smoothness is based on character set (more characters means more smooth).

Preset Pens

Presets which are based on character, foreground and background combination. Just like Character map and color palette, you can save, add and switch.

Move/Selection Tool

One of the frustrations I have had was the inability to move layers and make selections (like the Copy Tool) and be able to move and delete them.

I suggest that removing the Copy Tool and replacing it with a Select Tool which lets you select an area and copy, move or delete them. It should respect the current selected layer, so other layers aren't affected.

---

My current workflow is to move my work from program to program as there isn't a all-in-one solution.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Feature Request] Text Tool, Brushes, Presets and Selection Tool
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »

The text tool currently lacks the ability to insert newlines—pressing Enter commits the change—therefore I propose that Shift + Return could insert newlines.
This feature is already implemented: Ctrl-Enter is used for newline insertion. (You'll find this and a ton of other features in the manual, because the in-program help and command list is rather limited.)

Something I miss in REXPaint that currently are in other ASCII editors are some kind of brush that draws specified characters based on size, smoothness and character set.
An example of this can be seen in PabloDraw:
Yeah I'm familiar with PabloDraw and a couple other editors with this feature, and considered it early on, but it was pretty far removed from REXPaint's original intent, so it didn't get added. As it's often used by artists in particular, I'll look into adding it later, but a prerequisite for doing is the expanded more flexible UI I'm planning to do one day (not real soon, though--it's a huge project and I'm too busy these days!).

Presets which are based on character, foreground and background combination. Just like Character map and color palette, you can save, add and switch.
Another big feature that would rely on having that more flexible UI. I'll add it to the long-term list. thanks for the reference images!

One of the frustrations I have had was the inability to move layers and make selections (like the Copy Tool) and be able to move and delete them.

I suggest that removing the Copy Tool and replacing it with a Select Tool which lets you select an area and copy, move or delete them. It should respect the current selected layer, so other layers aren't affected.
This is in there already, unless you're trying to do something very specific I don't see described here. Maybe you haven't discovered the Cut tool? Movement and deletion of layers/areas is already possible and quite easy. (Note: There is also layer shifting.) I use cut-move all the time and find it much quicker to use than a traditional selection tool (because it doesn't require switching between as many different tools :D).

The copy, clipboard, and pasting features are a lot more powerful than they seem at first. I suggest checking out the manual for details on more of REXPaint's features--lots of hidden stuff in there since feature discoverability was not an emphasis in the UI design :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

c

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Re: [Feature Request] Text Tool, Brushes, Presets and Selection Tool
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:26:39 AM »

Thanks for the clarification, I'll have to admit I didn't read the whole manual, and the tools felt quite different from your usual design app (speaking as a designer) so I just have to get used to it :)