Grid Sage Forums

• April 23, 2024, 05:53:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Jumping grunt  (Read 1091 times)

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
Jumping grunt
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:43:47 PM »

I got a pack of pests carrying a grunt far, far away from an outpost in the caves. I'm moving at speed 28 and it's gaining ground on me, and so are the pests. Attached save.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Jumping grunt
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »

Ah, a possible example of the ancient "teleporting grunt" issue? It's been on the list for a while, has gone through several unconfirmed "fixes" (since the precise cause was not identified--there may be more than one), and was scheduled to be looked at again for Alpha 12, so I'll use this when I investigate, thanks.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:15:10 PM »

I believe the unit scheduling is the most likely culprit. The grunt at the far end jumps over all the pests, and they leapfrog each other too, while consuming only the time for a single move.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »

The primary cause of Swarmer leapfrogging chases was fixed* in Alpha 11, since they have to pay the full time cost now, but all combat robots moving in groups are apparently capable of jumping for a different reason I'll have to track down.

(*well, maybe I should say "modified," because it was originally meant to be that way a long time ago, but had unintended consequences :P)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 07:36:21 PM »

This behavior was still observed in Alpha 14, so Beta 1 includes another attempt to modify AI movement to prevent it. Not sure if it's a final fix since I don't know all the circumstances that cause it, but I'm calling it fixed for now until reported again. (And during Beta if someone discovers it again I'll set aside some time for back and forth debugging on this issue.)