• March 28, 2024, 09:11:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 112937 times)

Shadowfury333

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2017, 10:08:10 PM »

I'd say DF Adventure mode counts, especially in the more recent versions, it's just far on the Band-like side of the table.

Naganted

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:07 AM »

Woohoo! Finally bought the game! I don't have to make myself lurk anymore! 

No longer a ghost, and I can marvel at all these buttons and stuff -Good times.

I first learned about Cogmind from the Alpha video, it immediately got my attention during a time when I was officially tired of thinking about Roguelikes and determined to learn how to play them at least moderately competently since I was fascinated by some of the graphics effects/styles of bits and pieces of many games, and constantly intrigued by random things that would be simulated in them- Like how Cogmind has debris and generally making a mess of a place when everything goes hellidingdong, including cave collapses etc.  Or how Caves of Cud has amusing fluid 'phyics' all over the place. 

I'm always sort of half daydreaming about this vague game that I want to piece together and the art style of Cogmind immediately caught my eye and got my imagination going. 

-Only done one run so far and totally cleaned myself out with a cave in I knew was coming, infront of all the cool bots that know how to do their job! (Extra cool points- they managed to wall me off before the cave in, I like to think they were just trying to make clean up easier.) then it was straight off to sacrificing myself to a security mob wondering if there's a "Overload and Explode" (Heh, I like that.) button.

Looking forward to learning the game enough to maybe carve out a niche spot on the leaderboards - Wonder how long it'll take for me to even show up on them  8)  ::)

Geeze, I don't know how long I spent chopping apart and adding/subtracting to this post, gotta love forcing yourself to pipe up when you're totally excited and want to blather everywhere but used to hanging out in the rafters all silent like.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2017, 03:56:27 AM »

Ooh, welcome former lurker :)

Thanks, and it looks like you're already learning important lessons, like getting entombed by "aggressive engineering" is an easy way to lose early on if not careful :P

Geeze, I don't know how long I spent chopping apart and adding/subtracting to this post, gotta love forcing yourself to pipe up when you're totally excited and want to blather everywhere but used to hanging out in the rafters all silent like.
Heh, it sure takes some getting used to! I remember before 2010 or so I never spoke up on forums, or any form of social media, and it felt weird when starting out (and weird again later when starting to use Twitter, which is another thing entirely), but it's become a lot more enjoyable and natural over time.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

TKR101010

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 06, 2017, 07:17:36 PM »

Although I've been into gaming forever I've only just recently gotten into ascii style rogue-likes. I discovered Dwarf Fortess, Cataclysm: DDA, and COGMIND at the same time about this time last year. I found COGMIND from having found and played with the X@COM demo. :) I decided to buy and support COGMIND in the hopes that once it's finished X@COM would get more work. At first I thought COGMIND's UI was amazing like X@COM's, but the game itself didn't interest me as much, and of course I died a lot. After cycling through some other games I've started playing COGMIND again and this time I'm enjoying it a lot more. I think a problem I was having the first time was that I was playing too aggresively. Also, once I started playing DF with ascii instead of graphic tiles other ascii games started getting easier to understand.

Great game. Even if X@COM never gets finished, the money was still well spent on COGMIND.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2017, 05:49:57 AM »

Hey TKR101010, thanks :D

Glad you came back to it, but yeah Cogmind is pretty hard for most new players. Playing too aggressively can definitely get you killed even once you're experienced, much less beginners, but most people like to start out that way anyway xD. (To help alleviate that I'll probably be adding a basic strategy section to the manual and recommend that people skim it for survival tips if they're having any trouble.)

I've only just recently gotten into ascii style rogue-likes.
Oh I remember that feeling, and what a great feeling it was!!! Funny that at the time I very quickly transitioned to wanting to work on my own RL, then actually starting one (X@COM!), but I never guessed this would actually become my job one day.

I'd love to continue working on X@COM, though we'll have to see how the next years go... Making a living off traditional roguelikes sure is tough :P

Dalriad

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2017, 09:11:43 PM »

Heya! Just bought the game after having followed it for a while. First saw it a long time ago when Jefmajor played it on Twitch, that was, gosh, a while ago. Anyhow, I followed the development since then and decided to finally go for it this time. So here I am!

It's worth noting that, while I'm very familiar with DF Fort Mode, I'm very new to the roguelike experience. So this should be interesting :]

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »

Wow that was a long time ago! He picked it up and played for a bit when it first came out in 2015, but that was it. I imagine he might revisit it now that it's mostly done, and soon to be on Steam (next month!).

Cogmind's a pretty good roguelike choice to get started with, if anything because at least the controls are accessible :)

spelk

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
    • Ascii-Curious
« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »

Hi folks, I'm a roguelike enthusiast... been in and out of all sorts of communities, shouting the virtues of roguelikes for quite some time.. recently attempted to give voice to my roguelike fetish through my "Ascii-curious" blog site. Been on roguelike radio, did some Laserbeards podcasting, chuntered on about gaming and computer wargaming on sugarfreegamer.com.. I get around a bit. :)

Anyway, was a fan of Cogmind early on, have followed its progress avidly, and am now dipping into it with fervant relish!

I played a bit of the original Rogue and Hack in the early 90's, dabbled with some nethack and angband later, and have been in and out of DCSS ever since. My interest was never the challenge as much as having a place to go dungeon crawling, imaginative roleplaying in a procedurally generated fantasy world. I've never been much good at roguelikes but I've always admired their tactical greatness, complex systems, and emergent narratives.

-How did you learn about Cogmind?

Spotted it as a 7DRL and immediately took an interest when it hit alpha release.

-What other roguelikes do you enjoy?

Lots, but my favourites are Frozen Depths, DCSS, TOME4, QuickHack, Slimy Lichmummy, Cardinal Quest, Quest of Dungeons, Tangledeep, Qud... lots of ones that are accessible to newcomers to the genre. Cogminders might want to look over Bionic Dues (as a palate cleanser)

-What are your other favorite games?

MMO's, CRPGs, Wargames, team based tactical shooters, historical shooters.. probably too many to mention.

-What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?

Write stuff about games like Cogmind. ;)

It's a special kind of sauce to be amongst niche communities who appreciate their thing and are so close to the developers of the games they enjoy.

Kudos to Josh for bringing the Cog to the Mind! Keep it up fella!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:11:55 AM by spelk »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #233 on: October 26, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »

Hey spelk! Glad you're finally jumping into it :)

I'd noticed asciic-curious pop up early this year, though wasn't sure who was behind it. A good initiative!

Thanks for your work, (and praise!), and yeah the roguelike community is great. I mean, sure it's nice if/when we can get more people coming into the genre, but you also hope that won't dilute what we have going here :D

Laida

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2018, 03:54:57 AM »

Hi all!

From Steam recommendations

I enjoy playing Dungeon Crawl (my favorite race is a felid because I love cats :) ) and Dungeons of Dredmor!

XCOM: Enemy unknown, Invisible Inc, Dark Souls 2.

I also like to solve fun mathematical problems, to go for a walk and to read fantastic books.

I very like the cogmind game, expecially derelict stories and dialogues, they are so fun! And the most fun and cool guys are derelict tinkerers, in my opinion.
I several times reached -1/access, but actually never won this game, despite played more than 80 hours... but I have some ideas and so I'm not losing hope  ;D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2018, 04:02:03 AM »

Hi Laida, first time we've seen someone join us from Steam recommendations--cool to see that you both found it that way and it seems Cogmind ended up being a good fit for you :D (remember to leave a Steam review when you get a chance, if you haven't already)

Good luck getting that first win! (Followed hopefully by many more wins, since there are lots of different ways to do it.) And if you like the derelict tinkerers I'm sure you'll enjoy one of the future updates I have planned ;)

I loved X-Com to death but never got into XCOM:EU. Very different types of experiences, really. I was really hyped at first, despite having all but stopped playing AAA games, but ended up bouncing off it after a few hours :/

VikingSchism

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2018, 04:42:59 AM »

Hello there, I'm VikingSchism
I first found Cogmind through browsing Steam, and thought it looked interesting, so decided to get it when I had some money to spare
One other Roguelike I enjoy is Caves of Qud, for its mutation system, theme, and world in general
In terms of other games, I tend to enjoy games such as city builders (been playing a lot of Anno 1404 recently), JRPGs (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Persona 5 have both been excellent), and puzzle games. My overall favourite game might have to be Portal, though.
Besides games, some of my other interests are computer science, maths, and physics (all of which I'm currently studying). I also love Japanese superhero shows, such as Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Ultraman - because who doesn't enjoy multicoloured, spandex-wearing superheroes fighting rubber-suit monters?
hello there

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »

Hey VikingSchism! I remember seeing you around r/roguelikes, thanks for chipping in :)

People who are really into strong themes will likely enjoy both Cogmind and Qud, though gameplay-wise the two are extremely different.

I also love Japanese superhero shows, such as Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Ultraman - because who doesn't enjoy multicoloured, spandex-wearing superheroes fighting rubber-suit monters
Wow I didn't realize that's like a whole big genre... (though I know I should've xD)

I never really got into that style, but One Punch Man is... superhero-y and fun :)

SHADOWELITE7

• Derelict
  • True Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 01, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »

Hi, I am SHADOWELITE7, you may know me from the cogmind/polybot-7 discord chat

How did you learn about Cogmind?
I heard about Cogmind years ago when I first joined steam back in the summer of 2016. I thought it was cool because the first roguelike I have ever played was Nethack. I didn't pay much attention to it when I felt like playing nethack again. I had second thoughts about finding cogmind again. I watched a lot of videos and streams from other players and thought I may need to try this game out. I decided to buy cogmind on steam (2018 Christmas steam sale) to try it out and It was fun (right now I have 128 hours). The game felt easier and more understandable than Nethack. I liked how it has steam cloud so I can start from my desktop then save my run. Then I go to school using my laptop while on a few minute break on my cogmind run.
What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
So the first Roguelike I played in 2013 was the Chrome web store port of Nethack from the Dev team. I enjoyed its complexity but I mostly played the graphical version just for the mouse controls.
What are your other favorite games?
My most favorite game is Quake. I used to not like shooters because I was surrounded by fans that loved Cod and halo. I have gotten into Quake because it was different from other shooters. The most addicting platformer game I deeply enjoy is Spelunky. Spelunky is probably the game that got me into the Roguelite genre. I have other favorite roguelites and other games too but I can list them here and you can look them up

• Delver
  • Strafe
  • Risk of Rain 1 and 2
  • DUSK
  • Survived by
  • Warframe
  • ShellShock Live
  • Devil Daggers

What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
I socialize online or in real life
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:06:53 PM by SHADOWELITE7 »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #239 on: April 01, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »

Hey SHADOWELITE7, nice to see you on the forums!

What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
So the first Roguelike I played in 2013 was the Chrome web store port of Nethack from the Dev team. I enjoyed its complexity but I mostly played the graphical version just for the mouse controls.
Wow, didn't even know NetHack has a "Chrome web store port," that's pretty interesting. Also neat that was your first intro to roguelikes--the fact that NetHack didn't scare you off must mean you're a true rogueliker ;)

SHADOWELITE7

• Derelict
  • True Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 01, 2019, 07:39:59 PM »

Thx. I even completed the game when I graduated from 8th grade. So I guess I played nethack for about 3 years to completion. Also thx for calling me a true Rogueliker  8)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #241 on: April 01, 2019, 10:47:29 PM »

Oh nice! Even better to have found the genre so early. I knew about and had played pretty much every game genre in existence except roguelikes until I discovered them when I was 30 xD

seanawesomness

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2019, 10:35:20 PM »

Hi, i'm Seanawesomness and I heard about Cogmind while searching for "Robot hacking rogue likes" and Cogmind showed up, so  I started playing 2 weeks ago but now my best is only -5(normal mode),and I enjoy a lot of 7 day rogue likes the names I cant remember and my now second favorite game is Warframe, followed by Terraria.

also i'm only 13 years old  :P

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2019, 01:34:57 AM »

Wow, 13 is pretty young among Cogmind players. Most of us are in our 20s and 30s, if not older :P

Interesting that you've played some 7DRLs, too, when even a lot of players in the genre for longer haven't tried any/many!

-5 is pretty decent for having started out. Welcome to Cogmind--there's a lot to explore out there :D

Frey

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 20, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »

Hi folks, I'm Frey.

> How did you learn about Cogmind?
I've always been a fan of indie games, especially indie RPGs and roguelikes. So, finding Cogmind was a matter of time :) Followed the game for a couple of months and finally decided to buy it. And, oh boy, did I fall in love with this gem!

> What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
FTL (not sure if it's a true roguelike or not), CoQ, Tangledeep.

> What are your other favorite games?
Into the Breach, Final Fantasy VIII, Firewatch, To the Moon.

> What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
Reading books, running, learning how to be a better programmer.

Before finding Cogmind I almost lost my hope to have this just-one-more-turn feeling back.

SHADOWELITE7

• Derelict
  • True Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2019, 02:58:56 PM »

I am 18. It does make sense why there will be older because the Roguelike genre is like 43 or 44 years old. But then we have the RogueVeterans to teach us how to play old or new Roguelikes.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:36:05 PM by SHADOWELITE7 »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2019, 07:02:08 PM »

Welcome Frey, happy to have you :D

Always nice to find those "just one more turn" games that really click with your tastes!

Some people do call FTL a roguelike, although I'd consider it a roguelite (not that it really matters--everyone has their own definition :P).

And yeah we're here working to attract the next generation of players, although I think roguelikes seem to appeal more to mature audiences in general--even a lot of the "younger" new players who haven't tried roguelikes before (or at least those who hang out in the community) are in their 20s.

Daniexpert

• Unaware
  • Kyzrati Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2020, 07:00:33 PM »

Hello everyone!
I thought this post could see some light again, so here I am writing something!

It's hard to say right now because I bought the game over 2 years ago (around Beta 5). It was most likely a suggestion on Steam, but I bought it directly from the site, so I may have seen it on Reddit.

Before getting to know well the huge amount of Roguelike games and its huge community, I randomly played Dwarf Fortress and other Rouguelites like FTL and many others, then Cogmind really got me into the genre, also with the help of the Rouguelikes' discord server. Now, after some time, I played ToME, GKH, Brogue and recently started playing some Nethack 3.7.0, but with no wins yet on any of them (I don't rush winning in these games).

I love FPS, strategy, management games...I love gaming, especially with friends!

Right now, not much, because we all know what the situation is, but before all the virus stuff, I used to build and pilot FPV drones and I'm studying for a Computer Engineering bachelor's degree.

Happy to be in this community!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #248 on: September 15, 2020, 02:20:30 AM »

Hey Daniexpert!

Yay for the Roguelikes server :). It's certainly become time-consuming being a part of it, but it's also been worth it for all the friends and good times! Good for introducing more people to different roguelikes, too--happy to have embedded the Cogmind community there rather than being on our own server steeped in nothing but Cogmind :P

Right now, not much, because we all know what the situation is, but before all the virus stuff, I used to build and pilot FPV drones
Oh wow, both pilot and build?! That's pretty awesome. I didn't even know/realize that "FPV" drones are a thing, but I guess that makes a lot of sense. Do you race them? Or just for fun?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:21:37 AM by Kyzrati »

Daniexpert

• Unaware
  • Kyzrati Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 15, 2020, 02:54:58 AM »

Yay for the Roguelikes server :). It's certainly become time-consuming being a part of it, but it's also been worth it for all the friends and good times! Good for introducing more people to different roguelikes, too--happy to have embedded the Cogmind community there rather than being on our own server steeped in nothing by Cogmind :P
Hands down the best community I've ever seen.

Oh wow, both pilot and build?! That's pretty awesome. I didn't even know/realize that "FPV" drones are a thing, but I guess that makes a lot of sense. Do you race them? Or just for fun?
I don't race them: I'm not so good and if you crash it can be expensive to replace all the broken parts. I just do that for fun with a couple of friends and when something breaks, I try to patch it up the best I can so it can fly again :)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11