• April 25, 2024, 05:48:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 113357 times)

Alpha16

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »

Hello Grid Sage Forums,

I've known about Cogmind for a few months now from a streamer named "Jef Major" which I am sure many here are familiar with; only recently have I remembered the existence of Cogmind and decided to pitch in my support towards the development of such a unique roguelike.

The first roguelike I encountered was Dwarf Fortress, I didn't understand the ASCII soup I was looking at for a while but I have very much warmed up to it now. I am also interested in Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (C:DDA) and Brogue.
I added a few features to C:DDA due to it being open-source, my contributions include the "rain funnel (first iteration)," "sling," "slingshot" and the "joint torsion ratchet" bionic.

I am currently a student Video Game and Software Developer, I graduate in December with my Bachelor's degree.

I look forward to seeing Cogmind grow and succeed!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2016, 07:27:10 AM »

Hi Alpha16! Your name strikes a timely chord because there's a robot coming in next week's release named Alpha 7 :)

Thanks for being a part of making Cogmind's growth and success possible!

Interesting that your intro to roguelikes was DF. It certainly has a pretty broad exposure, but a lot of newer folk bounce off the complexity and ASCIIness of it, too (as an intro, anyway). You'll find Cogmind was built for ASCII from the ground up (but still three quarters of players mostly stick to the tileset xD).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zaRGo

• Unaware
    • View Profile
    • germany-ghosts
« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2016, 03:27:25 PM »

Hello Everyone :)

I just want to drop in to say hello to you all.
I am not very good in playing roguelikes & just to name it: i´m a beginner.
The roguelike (if i may call this game a roguelike) i played the most was FTL - and i just played it for about 50 hours  ::) That says all  ;)

The coming up weeks i decided i´ll put some hours in the following:
* Dungeons of Dredmor
* PRIME
* Unreal World (I´m not certain at the moment i´ll ever figure this one out completely - since my english is not the best)

... so that i thought my Games-Library should not lack of Cogmind.

In my Sparetime i do things like: ...(what sparetime?)  ;D

Since i am a total beginner i hope i may ask a view questions here in this forum if i stumble about things wich i can´t figure out by myself.
I am totaly curious and looking forward to discover cogmind.
Plz excuse my bad english.

Kind regards

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:13:23 PM by zaRGo »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #203 on: December 19, 2016, 05:31:08 PM »

Welcome, zaRGo!

That's a pretty broad cross-section of roguelikes you've got there :)

I just saw a really cool video about the meaningfulness of UnReal World yesterday. It's quite a cool game. And an interesting bit of trivia: This year the dev even made it into the Guinness records for video game with the longest uninterrupted development period!

Feel free to ask questions--we've got lots of helpful players around, and your English is just fine!

zaRGo

• Unaware
    • View Profile
    • germany-ghosts
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2016, 06:31:43 PM »

I just saw a really cool video about the meaningfulness of UnReal World yesterday. It's quite a cool game. And an interesting bit of trivia: This year the dev even made it into the Guinness records for video game with the longest uninterrupted development period!

Feel free to ask questions--we've got lots of helpful players around, and your English is just fine!

The Video is great - never saw this before. Some things in it i wasn´t aware of yet  ::)
I am very happy with this warm welcome @ grid sage forums and already feel like home here. Thank you
My first impressions of cogmind are very impressive. Love it already now!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:35:21 PM by zaRGo »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »

Glad you're enjoying it! It's the best to hear that new players are already having fun, because it keeps getting better the more you discover :)

Discohydra

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2016, 04:23:18 AM »

Hello! I've been keeping this game on my radar for a year, just to see if it wasn't too good to be true. Turns out it's true! I'm glad to see the progress on this game, and it has finally spurred me to throw my money in to support the development of this game! If I don't have a badge yet, I'm putting in my purchase right now.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2016, 07:25:43 PM »

Hi Discohydra!

This is totally happening. I've been in it for the long haul since the start, and 1.0 isn't ridiculously far off anymore :)

Thanks for the support--it's extra meaningful now compared to on Steam because in the latter case a much smaller percentage of the revenue actually makes it here for development purposes!

Be sure to use the quick form linked in the download email to register your desired name for the credits! (it's not automatic because some people might not want to use their real name, or the same forum name, for their in-game credit)

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 30, 2016, 12:49:35 AM »

-How did you learn about Cogmind?
I was one of three reviewers of Cogmind from the RogueTemple 7DRL review committee. Being on Linux and having unpleasant experiences with Wine I promptly forgot about it in spide of it's excellent quality.

Recently I have noticed announcements of new version on RogueBasin and decided to give the 7DRL a whirl again. This time it ran flawlessly. Since I absolutely loved Scrap 10DRL I went for the alpha Cogmind. No regrets!

-What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
A great many. I have maintained the list of Actively Developing Roguelikes for some time until the genre exploded. My favorites are definitely science fiction themed roguelikes like ZapM, DeadCold, Xenocide, DoomRL and AliensRL. I also enjoy NetHack very much.

-What are your other favorite games?
Mostly turn based RPGs or strategies. I play those very casually, preferring roguelikes above other kinds of games.

-What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
This is the question which made me read the whole thread before responding, because not far above we have this:
Hello Everyone :)
(...)
The coming up weeks i decided i´ll put some hours in the following:
(...)
* PRIME
(...)
PRIME! Of all things PRIME! I am the co-author of this game. In June this year I started development of the game from scratch in another progamming language. Rewrites tend to kill projects but on the other hand magnitude of changes I want to make practically invalidate most of the foundational assumptions used by game's engine. Currently it is still in tech demo phase, so in practice there is nothing to release.

Welcome, zaRGo. The fact PRIME is still enjoyed is a big motivational boost for me. Some day a next version may emerge.

To finally answer the question my free time is divided between working on PRIME, voracious book reading reading and spiritual life.

As a side comment there is so many software developers here I am sure Cogmind would be receiving patches along with bug reports if it had source available.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #209 on: December 30, 2016, 03:44:08 AM »

I was one of three reviewers of Cogmind from the RogueTemple 7DRL review committee.
Ha, what a coincidence! So you were one of the three. What fun and exciting times those were... It's also really cool judging 7DRLs and sometimes seeing them become something much more later on. Like I was one of the judges for Slash's original Ananias 7DRL, which is pretty big now, and still getting updates.

A great many. I have maintained the list of Actively Developing Roguelikes for some time until the genre exploded. My favorites are definitely science fiction themed roguelikes like ZapM, DeadCold, Xenocide, DoomRL and AliensRL. I also enjoy NetHack very much.
Ah, I recall that old list of yours! I was sad when it stopped updating :'(. I used to follow it, but really there are other sources as well, like Rogue Basin. And yeah the genre has exploded, so extra work... And I recall Xenocide--one of the first roguelikes I tried. That and AliensRL.

Welcome, zaRGo. The fact PRIME is still enjoyed is a big motivational boost for me. Some day a next version may emerge.
I totally hear about people playing PRIME, mentioning it, recommending it, etc. across various different roguelike communities. (I'm in, like, all of them :P) It's certainly a fairly well-known RL, and I'm sure if you put out another version you'd make a lot of people happy, but I must say that starting from scratch in a new language doesn't sound especially promising in that regard!

As a side comment there is so many software developers here I am sure Cogmind would be receiving patches along with bug reports if it had source available.
Yes, it's a huge ratio--and great!--but I don't want to spend my time as a project manager xD

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2016, 06:38:22 PM »

I have maintained the list of Actively Developing Roguelikes for some time until the genre exploded.
Ah, I recall that old list of yours! I was sad when it stopped updating :'(. I used to follow it, but really there are other sources as well, like Rogue Basin. And yeah the genre has exploded, so extra work...
Its format was also causing troubles. Data had to be accurate for given day when update was being run and especially new independent developers provided no easily available information about versions as it was custom of most people visiting r.g.r.d. newsgroup. For example, where on website is the information on Cogmind's version? At first only the forums and blog have it. Neither lends itself well to parsing by makeshift web crawlers as announcements may vary in form and content. Fortunately you offer public changelog in always the same place which contains all required information. You see though the degree of effort required to automate it. :( Much better for people to contribute that information themselves which you do rigorously. Kudos for that!

I totally hear about people playing PRIME, mentioning it, recommending it, etc. across various different roguelike communities. (I'm in, like, all of them :P) It's certainly a fairly well-known RL, and I'm sure if you put out another version you'd make a lot of people happy, but I must say that starting from scratch in a new language doesn't sound especially promising in that regard!
Thank you, this good to know. My presence in social media and in communities is minimal. I actively engage with at most one community at a time.

Oddly the greatest last achievement for PRIME was clarifying its license, which was still running on All Rights Reserved and by doing so violated the graphical engine's GPL. This might be good reason to at least release latest sources. At least this could be done.

Finally, happy new year everyone!

zaRGo

• Unaware
    • View Profile
    • germany-ghosts
« Reply #211 on: January 08, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »

Ohh man ... that sounds awesome  :)

For now: Happy New Year & welcome to this very nice community here bro

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:05:06 AM by zaRGo »

Morlock

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
  • I always choose the purple pill
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2017, 06:26:26 PM »

MorlocK here. I bought the game a few days ago and managed a few (max 10) runs. My highest score is in the 6Ks, but looking through the wiki and forum I see there is MUCH more for me to explore. I have probably spent more time reading about Cogmind than playing it, but now I will reverse this bias and log more runs before I spoil more.

I learned about Cogmind on reddit while trying to find the best roguelikes for me to dive back into that genre. I am a dad at home for a month and I have some time (minus 2 kids) to play :) I played some DCSS but in the end, I cannot get immersed in that game. I played tons of vanilla Angband ~20 years ago [sic] and I made a short list of games to devote more time to:

- cogmind
- rogue
- moria
- angband
- steamband
- nethack (maybe)
- infra arcana
- caves of qud

That's a lot of games but I realize through the years that these are my kind of favorite games. This and reading plus tabletop rpg (new thing for me) are plenty with the time I need to devote to my kids. I have almost completely forsaken programming projects, though recently I have made a foray into Genetic Algorithms for fun and I might dive a bit more into neural networks if I find some time and have the proper mood.

For me, gaming has more than a small dose of nostalgia. I play games / read books to bring myself back to my favorite period of my life, from ~12 to 18 years old. I'm still getting kicks of lots of things, but nearing 40 with 2 kids, I find myself often day dreaming about that almost perfect period of my life, where time was a limitless commodity and responsibilities almost unheard of.

Thanks for bringing me back there a bit with Cogmind!
If brute force doesn't work, use MORE BRUTE FORCE!!!1

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »

Welcome back to the fold, Morlock :)

but nearing 40 with 2 kids, I find myself often day dreaming about that almost perfect period of my life, where time was a limitless commodity and responsibilities almost unheard of.
Basically that description == me. Nearing 40 with a kid, and man those were the good old days!

Good thing that Cogmind is pretty easy to get into, which helps the older crowd with noticeably less of that precious free time. (Before long I'll also be introducing somewhat easier difficulty levels for those who have less time to pour into getting better.)

Since finding roguelikes (at 30, much later than yourself), I've not been too interested in playing anything else. Such a great genre <3

zaRGo

• Unaware
    • View Profile
    • germany-ghosts
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »

MorlocK here. ......

Welcome  ;)

........ I made a short list of games to devote more time to:
- caves of qud

Caves of qud seems to be a pretty good game (as well as cogmind). I bought it in the last steam sale. Havn´t played it until now... Just like you with cogmind at this point i read a lot about it  :P I noticed (only read it until now) that both games unfold a little backgroundstory - i like such things in roguelikes.

I wish you a lot of fun playing all this games & everybody a nice day

Have fun

C45513

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »

Hi all,
I'm pretty awful at this game (and roguelikes in general), but "losing is fun" and all that, so I can't stay away!

How did you learn about Cogmind?
It climbed to the top of /r/roguelikes, and I saw it there. I typically avoid early access, so I was planning to just follow it and wait for release. However, the high level of polish, positive feedback from early adopters, and high level of engagement from Kyzrati convinced me to pick it up from the GSG website.

What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
DCSS and Dungeons of Dredmor.

What are your other favorite games?
Aside from Cogmind, I mostly play the Monster Hunter and Dark Souls games, but also dabble in the (too) many games in my Steam library.

What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
I like to read fantasy and sci-fi novels, and non-fiction science books. I also love skiing. Honestly though, these days most of my time is spent studying biology and programming.  :-\

Other stuff
  • I love Cogmind! Thanks for making a great game, Kyzrati! Thanks for buying it, everyone!
  • <3 ASCII
  • HJKL >  ←↓↑→

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #216 on: March 09, 2017, 06:17:14 PM »

Hehe, so you're one of the players helping push up the hjkl numbers in our stat summary!

Cool that you would thank everyone else for buying, because yeah that's totally how it's gotten to be as expansive as it has. Sales keep trickling in, and with it more features :D. I dunno, it's going to be hard to stop working on it one day, but it'll become necessary at some point otherwise how am I supposed to have anything left to invest in the next roguelike?!

And now back to working on some secret new ASCII stuff for Cogmind... :)

C45513

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 09, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »

Hehe, so you're one of the players helping push up the hjkl numbers in our stat summary!
I love Vim, so I reeeeally prefer HJKL to arrows/numpad. So much so that it pretty much kept me from enjoying ToME.

And now back to working on some secret new ASCII stuff for Cogmind... :)
OOooooo I can keep secrets!  ;)

Shadowfury333

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 10, 2017, 12:14:35 AM »

I love Vim, so I reeeeally prefer HJKL to arrows/numpad. So much so that it pretty much kept me from enjoying ToME.
Why didn't you just adjust the keys? It's not that tricky to set up custom keys in ToME (at least in ToME 4). If there's any conflicts, then I guess just change the conflicting keys to DCSS equivalents. (Note, I don't know what conflicts there would be off hand for HJKL, my setup for ToME and DoomRL is based on WASD and some AutoHotKey trickery).

C45513

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 10, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »

Why didn't you just adjust the keys?
I did, and it's sort of workable for the most part, but it felt like an afterthought. The way that various windows pop up and close, and just general feel of menu navigation gave me the impression that the game is clearly intended to be played with a mouse. I know this is a minor detail to most users, and ToME is generally well regarded, but my OCD/ADHD tendencies often inflate small nitpicks into bigger distractions and frustrations over time.

Shadowfury333

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 10, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »

I did, and it's sort of workable for the most part, but it felt like an afterthought. The way that various windows pop up and close, and just general feel of menu navigation gave me the impression that the game is clearly intended to be played with a mouse. I know this is a minor detail to most users, and ToME is generally well regarded, but my OCD/ADHD tendencies often inflate small nitpicks into bigger distractions and frustrations over time.
Oh...yeah...the mouse is pretty much the go-to inventory navigation device. I'd have to check to make sure you can even reference items directly by letter, rather than using cursor keys and enter. Granted, I use WASD & mouse (I know, such a casual. Diagonals are handled by AutoHotkey) for ToME, so I hadn't really thought of it much. I mean, I went through all the work of setting that up in DoomRL and ported it over to ToME because both games are much faster to control with one hand on the mouse, and both of their default keybind setups either require using mouse LMB move/auto-explore or having 3 arms in order to play as rapidly and smoothly as possible.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:15:16 PM by Shadowfury333 »

Jamsus

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 14, 2017, 02:43:06 AM »

Hello Cogminders, i'm Jamsus aka Andrea from Italy!

I've got in touch with Cogmind thanks to my passion about developing games and more than "generic games", the intent to apply more of this passion on roguelikes.

Reading\Listening\Watching stuff on the internet brought me on Cogmind, which i loved both for the gameplay and the "presence" (if it is correct in English) of the developer in forums, blogs, interviews & videos.

I think it is very inspiring for those who wants, for hobby or hoped-profession, to start developing a roguelike game, to stay in touch with one who is doing it and is doing it well.

See you in #436f676d696e64

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2017, 06:17:08 AM »

Welcome, Jamsus!

I do aim to maintain that "presence," for sure :). It makes for both a healthier game and healthier community--good all around!

You probably already know about it, but if you're seeking like-minded devs into various aspects of roguelikes, look no further than r/roguelikedev. We've got a great group of active people with which to share your work and bounce ideas off. I actually write more there than I do on my own blog these days :P (Though the best stuff ends up on my blog and elsewhere.)

(Lots of Cogmind alpha players are devs as well, roguelike and otherwise; it's great :D)

JacenHan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2017, 06:23:23 PM »

Hey all!

I know I already posted once, but I figured that since I just now bought Cogmind I'd make an "official" introduction. I've been following Kyzrati's work since X@Com and am really glad to see that Cogmind has done so well.

I've never really played a lot of roguelikes, aside from Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode, so Cogmind is probably my first "true" roguelike experience, and I am very grateful that it has been such a good one so far.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »

Yeah I totally remember you hanging out in our (now somewhat old...) X@COM forums. One day it will be nice to do a reboot and have a forum here for that stuff... #daydreaming

Thanks for jumping on board! Always nice to be introducing fresh players to the genre. (Although technically I'd say DF sorta counts.)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11