• March 28, 2024, 04:13:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 112938 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2016, 12:49:46 AM »

Haha, I am the only developer :P

Ah, Hebei, I've been around there a bunch. Lived in Beijing for a while, too. 沒錯!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

sandersan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2016, 01:29:39 AM »

這麽説的話,您可以來百度貼吧(比如http://tieba.baidu.com/f?ie=utf-8&kw=roguelike&fr=search)做一波推廣啊!(百度惡名遠揚,但是不可否認貼吧聚集了一批興趣相投的玩家)
我雖然可以幫忙,然而我是個新手,對游戲機制不是很熟悉,無法介紹太多。大陸玩rl的人不是很多,但在這些地方推廣一波應該能帶動不少人。
現在主要是沒有登陸steam,很多玩家不知道。我們群組裏有不少人看了我玩后都表示非常感興趣。

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2016, 01:58:22 AM »

我去年曾看到有人在貼吧那裏提到Cogmind,但也沒有趁機參加討論。目前我推廣的工作根本還沒上軌道,原因是價格偏貴,又不在Steam上。其實還不想吸引太多玩家,有礙開發遊戲的工作 :P

等你的瞭解達到相當程度後再幫幫忙我也很感激 ;D

sandersan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2016, 02:08:26 AM »

嗯,也對。等開發完上steam自然會大熱。我今天下午剛剛在貼吧里直播了一把然而立馬就挂了,丟人了,哈哈。我現在也是在貼吧里和一些qq群裏面推廣。還是有不少rl死忠粉絲感興趣的。
順便問一句,關於何時登陸steam有計劃麽?今年年末能登陸?
還有那個irc頻道怎麽沒有人呢?不是irc.quakenet.org這個server麽?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2016, 02:28:25 AM »

原先的計劃是今年10月,但我最近發現台灣人上Steam非常麻煩,所以大概要延遲到不知道甚麼時候,事先得要在美國開公司 :/。 最晚一定是明年……

還有那個irc頻道怎麽沒有人呢?不是irc.quakenet.org這個server麽?
這我已經有說明,但我可以加一句:目前習慣使用IRC的玩家不多。我自己已前有時候在那邊,但也太耗時間,會影響開發速度!(最早是quakenet,後來好像移到irc.freenode.net)

sandersan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2016, 03:04:08 AM »

已经找到了。感谢!
另外您说得不错,现在来说,在登陆steam前对大陆玩家的确不好推广。因为汇率和收入水平摆在那。要不然steam去年也不会单独划出来中国区了(国区价格明显便宜)。
因此不少大陆玩家即使再感兴趣应该也会等到登陆steam以后再购买。

sandersan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2016, 06:41:45 AM »

刚才仔细看了看Cogmind的开发历程,真的是您一个人啊!不得不说是一个伟大的工程!尤其是如此丰富的ascii特效和音效!
看来支持您alpha的开发工作真是应该的!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2016, 07:36:45 AM »

因此不少大陆玩家即使再感兴趣应该也会等到登陆steam以后再购买。
沒錯,我就是這樣想 :)

刚才仔细看了看Cogmind的开发历程,真的是您一个人啊!不得不说是一个伟大的工程!尤其是如此丰富的ascii特效和音效!
看来支持您alpha的开发工作真是应该的!
確實是蠻大的工程,都已經三年了,所以我是很感謝各位的大力支持!沒有你們是偉大不了的!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:57:00 PM by Kyzrati »

StrixNebulosa

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 13, 2016, 07:26:46 PM »

Hello!

How did you learn about Cogmind? I come from the SA forums, specifically where I lurk in the Roguelikes thread. That's where I saw Happylisk (amongst others) talking about Cogmind and it sounded really cool. (I've always been a big fan of sci-fi settings and robots in particular, so the whole concept clicked with me instantly.) Cue my usual research before buying games, and eventually that led to Kyzrati playing a stream, and the gameplay there sold me on it, and here I am, running my poor Cogmind into Slayers and worse.

What other roguelikes do you enjoy? My current favorites: Demon, Caves of Qud, Infra Arcana, Dungeonmans, DoomRL, Dungeon of the Endless. My first roguelike was Nethack (interesting to read about, but not to play), my first modern roguelike was probably ToME (I don't care for it now), and there are still a lot of the big name roguelikes I've yet to check out properly, like Sil.

What are your other favorite games? The Shin Megami Tensei franchise (SMT 2 is the pinnacle of the series in terms of atmosphere, but Nocturne beats it out on gameplay), Seiken Densetsu 3, X-COM/XCOM: EU/EW, Picross/any variant of it, too many others to list. I adore jrpgs, but I'll check out anything if it's interesting enough.

What do you do for fun when you're not playing games? Read, write, watch things. Currently reading CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series, Darran Anderson's Imaginary Cities, and more. Currently watching a plethora of 80s cartoons, from Transformers to Silverhawks. Good times!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2016, 09:18:46 PM »

Hey StrixNebulosa! I remember that stream :). Wish I was still streaming weekly, actually, since it's a good way to hang out with everyone and sometimes share Cogmind with some new faces. (But too busy and streaming is rather time-consuming!)

That's a good list of roguelikes. Be sure to check out The Ground Gives Way, too. You'll probably like it.

And any roguelike+SMT fan should check out Demon, which you've probably heard mentioned a couple times in the SA thread? The dev is extremely active, working on it full-time and giving it away for free, actually! A well-designed game.

80s cartoons! Now that sounds like fun :D. My son is nearing the point where I can watch some of those with him. (For me that would be "re-watch.")

StrixNebulosa

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2016, 12:20:45 PM »

Hey StrixNebulosa! I remember that stream :). Wish I was still streaming weekly, actually, since it's a good way to hang out with everyone and sometimes share Cogmind with some new faces. (But too busy and streaming is rather time-consuming!)

That's a good list of roguelikes. Be sure to check out The Ground Gives Way, too. You'll probably like it.

And any roguelike+SMT fan should check out Demon, which you've probably heard mentioned a couple times in the SA thread? The dev is extremely active, working on it full-time and giving it away for free, actually! A well-designed game.

80s cartoons! Now that sounds like fun :D. My son is nearing the point where I can watch some of those with him. (For me that would be "re-watch.")

I'll take gamedev over actual streams, as fun as they are. Those red stairs that say "unavailable" are so frustrating when I find them and realize that I'm not done running from the pack of robots at my back. (Someday I will come up that high in the facility armed and ready to fight, but I'm not there yet!)

I've got the Ground Gives Way dled, but I haven't dug into it yet - it's in a folder sitting next to Brogue and some others, awaiting the day when I'm willing to learn another set of rules unique to each roguelike. Soon!

Yes, FerretDev shows up as well, and indeed, SA is also where I heard about it. Most of these roguelikes, in fact!

Oh man, he's in for a treat. These cartoons are far more entertaining than I expected them to be, even if some of them wrap around into "so bad it's good" territory. (He Man and the Masters of the Universe is the primary culprit of that so far) - I grew up in the 90s so I had a whole different pack of cartoons to grow up with, but fortunately I caught Thundercats anyways. Good goofy entertainment. :D

esty8nine

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »

Hey guys, Just heard about this game and read through the website that the dev nicely laid out to answer all my questions which was really nice. I cant say I can really get into these Old school roguelikes because the learning curve is often too annoying before it is fun. I got to do like 3 runs so far farthest was floor 2 in which enemies just started alerting and lead to my quick death. Its really neat so far and love the UI. Now if only I can learn what everything is doing ! It deff seems my early guns Miss its target so much, or I just don't know that they are hitting ? Anyway, fun so far! =) If anyone knows of any VODs to watch for early players that helps let me know !

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2016, 07:44:02 AM »

Welcome, esty8nine!

Probably the best series aimed at teaching beginners is by jimmijamjams, though he was playing early versions then, so there could be some misinformation and a fair number of missing features... You can find that link and also some other beginner's guides here. Really some of the written guides are a quick way to learn some of the basics and help you survive past the early game.

When I get back from vacation I'll do some more streaming and you could ask me questions directly then, too. (Also other regular players show up and are happy to answer questions in chat.) Of course, by then you may have already figured everything out :P

Ved

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 11, 2016, 05:40:53 AM »

Hello guys! I'm new here so I would like to greet :) I'm from Poland (so my English may be a bit, ekhm, rusty; I'm sorry in advance), interested in programming, history and archaeology. I used to work as a tester, but I'm currently unemployed due to health issues.

How did you learn about Cogmind?
Naaah, I don't know. I think it was just impossible to omit informations about Cogmind. Most probably I learnt about Cogmind by the announcements board on roguetemple forums.

What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
I like roguelikes in general, there is lots of them. Mainly ADOM (it's only one roguelike I'm good), also older releases of DCSS (0.9 - 0.11), ToME 2.3.5, Unreal World, Frozen Depths, Forays Into Norrendrin, Brogue, DoomRL, Gearhead - this is my top of the roguelikes I love.

What are your other favorite games?
In general, I like open world sandbox-ish 'do whatever you want to do' cRPGs. My two favorites games of all life are Darklands and Daggerfall. I'm still waiting for procedurar generated Skyrim with larger significance of random quests. ...Or Daggerfall with random world would be ideal. Maybe Malevolence will be what I'm searching for?

What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
Eh... Currently I'm only playing games and programming. I have two sabres (and third already ordered) and I loved (still love, thought) fencing (both sparring and trainings). I used to work on excavation sites during vacation and I really enjoyed it. Feeling when you find, for example, bronze spurs, is awesome. Also I like alone bike tours. And... ekhm, it may sounds unhealthy, but I really like discover good beers. Unfortunately, I have strong back problems now (I even can't go for a longer walk) so most of my favorites activities are... let's say, not available for me.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #189 on: July 11, 2016, 08:08:43 PM »

Hey Ved, nice to see you here :)

Working at excavation sites sounds fun. Too bad about the health issues... the human body simply didn't evolve to live for so long at full capability! I've got so many activities I can't do any more, but just have to keep finding new and different ones I can :P

Daggerfall is already pretty far into procedural territory! Though yeah it's too bad the dungeons aren't randomized each run, instead being generated and set during development--with some extra work it would've been possible to get the algorithm to generate dungeons that fit within their parameters while still being different for everyone. Maybe it was too processing intensive at the time, though, since they're 3D dungeons and it was the 90s...

Ved

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2016, 02:12:10 AM »

Daggerfall is already pretty far into procedural territory!

Yup, I know. And... and it is probably main disadvantages of Daggerfall if we are talking about design issues. Despite if it was possible or not in 90', Daggerfall with every-run-randomized-environment would be best. But when it isn't and environment-related randomized replayability isn't existing thing, hard to turn a blind eye that cities and dungeons are poorly, let's say, designed.

the human body simply didn't evolve to live for so long at full capability!
Maybe, but I'm really young ;) it's more about healthcare in my country (operation is neccessary but getting it is pretty hard).

I have some questions and small issues, but I'm leaving home now, I would be back in few days. Thanks for nice welcome, Kyzrati :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2016, 02:21:57 AM »

hard to turn a blind eye that cities and dungeons are poorly, let's say, designed.
Quite true. Really it feels like it was purely done with an algorithm without any design at all, though technically they did do some of the latter on top of the former. May as well have gone all the way at that point :P

the human body simply didn't evolve to live for so long at full capability!
Maybe, but I'm really young ;) it's more about healthcare in my country (operation is neccessary but getting it is pretty hard).
Ah yeah, I guess I was thinking back to recent conversations with my dad, having just returned from visiting family. But I'm in a similar position, having had lots of issues from a young age. Theoretically surgery might solve some of them, but then not all surgery is successful, and can even make things worse, or cause other problems, so may as well let the body deal with things as it can and work around it. Fortunately I've never had any back issues, though, because those are the worst--hard to get around that... good luck with it!

I have some questions and small issues, but I'm leaving home now, I would be back in few days. Thanks for nice welcome, Kyzrati :)
Yep, and as always feel free to ask away when you can :)

Shadowfury333

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2016, 11:55:29 PM »

Hello, Cogmind fans. I figure I should introduce myself, as it seems to be the custom here.
I'm a software developer by trade, though only for a few years now doing work for a naval architecture software company (i.e. we make the software for the naval architects). I also have been playing video games my whole life, mostly RTS games, and more recently fighting games. I got into roguelikes a few years ago thanks to NetHack (thanks PhD comics), and then branched out a bit from there. I also make videos of games, usually competitive RTS casts. Mostly they are for YouTube, though I stream stuff regularly too.

-How did you learn about Cogmind?
I don't remember exactly, but probably Roguelike Radio.

-What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
DoomRL has been my favourite roguelike for a while, though after suggesting a flinch mechanic to replace cornershooting it's been hard for me to play it without wishing such a thing existed, but then I also most enjoy Gun Kata runs, which are all about dodging around like a hyperactive flea. I also play some NetHack forks sometimes, mostly DynaHack and NetHack Fourk.

-What are your other favorite games?
Mainly I've been playing Zero-K (open source spinoff of Total Annihilation using the Spring engine), which I also do a lot of match casts for. It's basically Total Annihilation with early Command and Conquer pacing, and minimal base building for production, and no tech tree. I've also just beaten Dark Souls 3, which was also my first full-game LP. I also used to play StarCraft:BW competitively but stopped when SC2 came out, which then bored me (everything felt really prescribed and overly discrete). Apart from that, I generally mess around with new RTS games as I find them, but none besides the aforementioned Zero-K have really stuck out to me, usually because they take for-bloody-ever to finish (i.e. 20-30 minutes on average).

For fighting games, I primarily play Skullgirls, Guilty Gear (at least AC & Xrd), and most recently Blazblue Chronophantasma (earlier versions were too clunky for me). This is probably why I've had a harder time getting into RTS.

I've also been playing a bit of Enter the Gungeon recently. It's definitely an improvement on the Isaac-style rogue-lite formula, though that formula is the only one I'm familiar with.

I suppose for games I don't play much recently but shaped my tastes and will stick with me forever: Descent 3, Myth 2, and Lode Runner 2.

+ Attachments and other options
-What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
Hanging out with friends, though that's mostly board games or D&D, piano (usually learning songs I like by ear, though I did take years of lessons when I was younger), and Improv theatre
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:58:04 PM by Shadowfury333 »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2016, 05:00:22 AM »

Welcome, Shadowfury333!

I'm a software developer by trade
Also "seems to be a custom here" :P

I was always big on RTSs myself, but making a game and having a family at the same time sucks away pretty much all free time, so no play for me... TA and SC were always great, though :D. Last I played was about 5 years ago when I introduced Supreme Commander to some students I was mentoring, and we had a lot of fun playing that on the net for a while. Even then we could only play so many games because a single match could stretch on for hours. Hadn't heard of Zero-K before!

Do stick around! It's gotten a little quiet around here this month, but that's because I was on vacation for a while and it pushed back the next release--normally we'd have some new toys to play around with by now :)

dan212

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2016, 06:16:54 PM »

Hello! I dont have too much to talk about, but i will do my best!

-How did you learn about Cogmind?
I was just wondering Steam, and run in to gif from Cogmind on Steam Comunity.

-What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
Well, my roguelike expiriens are a bit limited. Dwarf Fortress, especialy its adventure mode. Used to play a few other roguelike-style games, like Teleglich, Enter the Gungeon, and few other episodic ones i cant even remember.

-What are your other favorite games?
Ha-ha, good question! I play a lot. Used to stick to RTS games, and so a big fan of Suprime Commander (1st game and FA only, 2nd game is trash). Played Zero-K for some time (need to go back to it in some time), as well as AI War. Right now play a lot MechWarrior Online and Elite:Dangerous. But mostly, i can decribe my game choises, as well as skill level in them as "Jack of all trades, Master of none". Playing a lot, playing different games, but rarely go REALLY deep in to the game (200+ games on Steam, and only 5 of them have 200h+ (But i am good enoph in them to call myself a good player)).

TL:DR: MWO, E:D, and a lot of games that i played a few days and never go back to them

-What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
Not much. Playing some tabletop Battletech, and some RPG with friends (Warhammer40000:Dark Heresy, and few home-made systems). Do some martial art, but mosly in physical form. All my other hoppys are, one way or another, connected to PC. Youtube, some modding stuff, studying IT, so i can work as close to gaming as possible...

Well, thats all!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2016, 10:19:31 PM »

I was just wondering Steam, and run in to gif from Cogmind on Steam Comunity.
Funny since Cogmind isn't yet on Steam, though I suppose it does get mentioned from time to time alongside other roguelikes. (Like CoQ and the growing number of traditional roguelikes which have been making their way onto the platform :D)

Awesome that you're into Supreme Commander and BT/Mechwarrior. Totally some of my all-time favorites :). By far the game I've played the most in the last 5 years is MWO, actually. Legendary Founder here ;). Sucks that my computer can no longer even run it due to all the changes/updates they've made to the maps (FPS way too low now, so I haven't played for over a year now), but I've got a huge number of mastered mechs sitting in their bays...

IT is probably a more sane goal than actually working in gaming, because when it comes to gamedev jobs the pay generally sucks, there's zero job security, and the work is incredibly tough (though it can be rewarding if you survive through it all :P).

Anyway, welcome to Cogmind! Nice to see another player who doesn't already have deep roots in the roguelike genre, and it would/will be nice to know what you think, as it'll be players like yourself who make or break the future of my work! (with respect to other games)

Ilbu

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2016, 04:04:18 AM »

Hello! I've been randomly browsing the Cogmind devblog for about a year now, and yesterday I decided that I couldn't wait any longer, so I went and bought the alpha access. I only had time for a quick test last night, but I'm really looking forward to playing more. As it is expected with roguelikes, my first run didn't last very long.

Oh, I'm from Finland so please excuse any grammar mistakes.

- How did you learn about Cogmind?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I first read about Cogmind on /r/roguelikedev. Might have been from FAQ Friday. What really caught my attention was the alpha release trailer. The aesthetics made a huge impression on me.

- What other roguelikes do you enjoy?
First roguelike I ever played was Nethack, so it still holds a special place in my heart. Back in junior high, the art classroom had this old computer, and one day I decided to check it out. On the desktop I noticed a shortcut to a program called "Nethack". I thought it referred to hacking, as in computer hacking, (I remember someone telling a similar story on Roguelike Radio.) so obviously I launched it. It wasn't what I expected, but still highly intriguing. I really didn't know what I was doing and a moment later, this older student came, called me a noob and shooed me away...

Other projects I've been following for quite a while now are Dwarf Fortress and Ultima Ratio Regum. Those guys really take the procedural generation to the next level. Mind-blowing stuff.

These days I too find myself reading about roguelikes more than actually playing them. My other favourite roguelikes are ADOM, C:DDA, CoQ, DoomRL, DCSS, KeeperRL and URW. I have never finished any of them.

- What are your other favorite games?
Honestly, too many to list here. I've played video games of all genres my whole life, but in the recent years I've started to prefer RPGs and management/strategy-games.

- What do you do for fun when you're not playing games?
My other interests besides video games are art and music. When I have the time and energy, I try to learn coding in python, my dream being able to make my own roguelike one day.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2016, 11:45:54 PM »

Hi Ilbu!

Thanks for the support, and yeah it's naturally tough starting out with a new roguelike--it'll come with time. Good NetHack introductory story, by the way :P

That's a healthy range of roguelikes you're into! I used to play so many games from so many genres as a kid, almost anything, actually, though have also since settled into a much narrower range, partially due to time constraints xD

You can totally make your own roguelike one day--all it takes is time! We have a bunch of hobbyists in /r/roguelikedev who just started out one day with their own roguelike idea and libtcod, and some have even turned theirs into pretty large long-term projects, but I'm sure you're already aware of that :) (URR started like that back in the day!)

Ilbu

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2016, 11:44:09 AM »

It's been a while since I worked on my own roguelike-project. I started with the python+libtcod tutorial but didn't get very far until I stopped. I felt I wasn't learning anything from just copying the tutorial, so I decided to do some exercises at Codeacademy. (Still haven't finished the course...) After that I started over and the code began to make much more sense. I even added my own features and whenever I ran into a problem, people at #rgrd were really helpful. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2016, 08:19:01 PM »

It seems the most fruitful learning projects are those which complete the tutorial and then (more importantly!) start to expand on it and gradually morph it into a new and different roguelike. That way you start with a code base that you've at least seen every part of, despite having technically not devised it yourself, and can presumably change or add to whatever parts are necessary for a new feature, thereby learning more about that aspect of the tutorial, because to modify it to get the results you want you have to truly understand everything about it. But many also do recommend combining the tutorial with a basic learning course on the language, which makes a lot of sense since the tutorial isn't there to teach the language itself :P. So good that you eventually took that step!

The #rgrd crowd is definitely helpful! The roguelike development community in general is very welcoming, and it's been growing larger and larger over the years :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11