Grid Sage Forums

• April 24, 2024, 10:17:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Early Game Strategy?  (Read 4797 times)

Lord Thag

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Early Game Strategy?
« on: September 14, 2016, 10:57:13 PM »

So, I've been playing a bit over the last week or so, and I am starting to get frustrated.

Here is my issue. Making it through the early game seems to be entirely luck based. No matter whether I try and stealth my way, or wreck face it always comes down to what weapon/equipment stashes I find, and whether I run into some giant patrol and get annihilated.

I find the enemy swarms particularly unfair. Often I will have a low alert level, be moving intelligently, staying off the main paths etc. and just randomly run into a horde of enemies. Even with re-positioning, hiding in rooms, taking them one at a time etc. I usually either die or just get wrecked to the point I get killed soon after. It's totally luck based, or at least it appears to be.

I am likely missing something. I've gotten quite far when I don't get cheesed on the early levels, but I haven't found a consistent way to get farther like I do in DCSS or TOME.

So what am I missing? Thanks!

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
Re: Early Game Strategy?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »

Here is my issue. Making it through the early game seems to be entirely luck based. No matter whether I try and stealth my way, or wreck face it always comes down to what weapon/equipment stashes I find, and whether I run into some giant patrol and get annihilated.

Here's what I do.
1) Equip two storage units as soon as possible. Small at worst, large at best.
2) Search a floor until I find the storage unit stash, or until core integrity forces me to exit.
3) Buffer spare parts (including spare storage units). Launchers are especially important.
4) First evolution: 1 weapon 1 utility. Equip 3 weapons and 3 storage units.
5) Second evolution: 1 weapon 1 utility. Equip 4 weapons, 3 storage units, 1 heat sink.

Keep playing, you should figure out what you're doing wrong. The early levels can be beaten (almost) reliably once you got some experience.

mindreader

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »

While decker's tips are effective, the mass storage unit inventory micromanagement technique is not fun.  That said... always have at least one container.  If you lose it, shoot workers until you get another container.  Without it you will eventually be overwhelmed when you lose some key part of your build (usually weapons).

It's totally luck based, or at least it appears to be.

I felt that way at first, but after playing awhile there are a few things I was doing that I didn't realize I was doing that got me in trouble early.

Hacking machines past detection.  Once you are 'detected', move on.  Even if you have a system shield and can easily get in five more attempts, don't, because each one will have a chance of raising the alert level.

Don't attack neutral robots ever, unless you have to.  Especially engineers.  If there is an engineer behind a robot you want to shoot or in the vicinity of a robot that you might accidentally hit due to a missed shot, reposition.  I only attack haulers when I am in dire need of something, like a container or I have intel on what they are carrying.  The same goes for machines, although destroying machines is a lot of fun, it drastically raises the alert level.

Get a move on.  I could be wrong on this, but don't explore every nook and cranny of every room if you already have a sufficient loadout.  The more time you spend on the level, the more robots will be walking around.  Also, exits tend to be on the outskirts, so move away from large open areas.

Never run away from a patrol, unless you are really fast and they aren't.  This is a stark contrast from dcss which is basically a sprinting simulation.  Enemies will chase you and alert every other patrol in the areas you run through which alert more patrols.  Soon you are trapped, weakened, in a dead end.  You also risk running into traps which make everything worse.  Exception:  If a stream of robots is pouring from one direction, they might be coming from a garrison.  In that case just run away for a little while.  Even if you can kill stuff you are just escalating things and damaging your equipment for no gain.

Scouting is key.  A basic visual processing unit can save you a lot of hassle.  Don't always restrict yourself to  hallways.  Any non EM cannon and apparently most melee weapons can bite through walls, so always be looking for a shortcut between rooms where you are much less likely to meet resistance.

If you are getting shot to hell before -7, and you are pretty sure you won't make it, don't sit there futilely letting important equipment get shot off, just drop one by one, things you don't need and keep ones you do in your inventory.  Try and keep a power source, a weapon, a propulsion, and a storage unit.  Leave cpus in, they weigh nothing.  Leave in something that weighs 3 or less, like a heat sink.  Won't impede you and takes hits and could be useful later.

You already know that, but the reason I mention this is if you are at a high core integrity, it is almost impossible to lose in the first few levels unless you have a huge swarm of fast bots on your tail or a demolisher squad on top of you, because you can get away from almost anything, the stairs are always somewhere nearby, you can recover quickly on the next level if you have access to some basics.  Failing all that you will usually find weapons and a choke spot somewhere, so just equip a couple of them and pick off robots that can keep up with you, then run again.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 11:18:00 AM by mindreader »

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »

Good tips. There are three points I'd like to address though.

Being detected/traced during hacking does not affect the alert level. Being traced causes a dispatch, and killing it will raise the alert level.

Destroying machinery doesn't have a huge incidence on the alert level (15 influence per machine), with the exceptions of some machines like garrisons.

I think it's best to hunt haulers whenever you can, and it's OK to kill any neutrals that get in your way (such as recyclers). Just be careful when you're near a garrison.

Lord Thag

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »

Ok, thanks everyone. The combination of everyone's responses gave me some ideas as to where I am going wrong. I'll have a go tonight and see if I can't improve my play.

Such a fun roguelike.

mindreader

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »

Being detected/traced during hacking does not affect the alert level. Being traced causes a dispatch, and killing it will raise the alert level.
I came to the conclusion it did after having a lot of games end where I played fast and loose with hacking.  I would hack until I was almost but not quite traced many times in a row, and then die within a floor due to unexpectedly heavy turnout.  If I'm wrong about this, that's great!  That will be a big help to me.

Destroying machinery doesn't have a huge incidence on the alert level (15 influence per machine), with the exceptions of some machines like garrisons.
I've found destroying reactors in an attempt to kill robots causes the alert level to go crazy, but that could very well be because I'm taking out workers as well.  I guess I extrapolated that to other structures.

I think it's best to hunt haulers whenever you can, and it's OK to kill any neutrals that get in your way (such as recyclers). Just be careful when you're near a garrison.
Yeah maybe I was a little restrictive on haulers.  But I still don't bother with them when I have a reasonable loadout.  There could be a patrol on the other side of the wall that will immediately be alerted.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 03:16:56 AM »

While decker's tips are effective, the mass storage unit inventory micromanagement technique is not fun.
I imagine this situation has been significantly improved with the release of Alpha 11's item swap assist feature :). And it's a pretty effective strategy if you can keep a large inventory full, probably one of the "safer" ways to play aside from a proper stealth setup (but the latter isn't viable right from the start--have to work your way into it).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon