Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 03:05:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Optional meta-data saved with .xp files  (Read 1623 times)

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
Optional meta-data saved with .xp files
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:20:44 PM »

As number of libraries supporting RP files is growing, I'd like to ask for a feature that could make use of such libraries in less/non invasive way.

In short I'd like to have option for embedding short text metadata along with xp file.

Some explanation:

Usualy files I have here, contains several slices, they are animation frames, b/w or color modes of same asset etc.
Because at the moment the is no option for saving any additional info to .xp I've came with idea of storing slicing info in first row of graphics. Then my batches are used to convert all these files to internal representation.
Also, I've considered placing metadata on separate layers but because we are limited to only 4 of them (I know it's just ui issue) there are a lot more better things to keep there.

If library could return metadata to me It would be a way for me to go with such library instead of my longer tool-chain.

Hmmm simple thing, why so much text to write? :)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:39:41 PM by gumix »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Optional meta-data saved with .xp files
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:43:15 PM »

I guess you've already got your chain set up, though my first thought in your situation would be to consider storing any meta data you need in a separate file with the same name but different extension.

I've thought about adding a meta data section to the format itself before. Part of the problem is backwards compatibility--suddenly every single library out there is broken :/. It would've been nice to have this from the beginning, but it was just a tool for myself that I never expected would start getting rather big and have all these other users and libraries come along :P

A couple times I've wanted to add things to the format, but in the end always decide that I like it as simple as possible, and could/would use separate files to solve any other needs.

Anyway, it's now on the list of features to consider.

One approach to preserve compatibility: What if the config file could be used to specify a separate format, and all your files would be manipulated in that alternate format instead. That could accommodate any additional format requests, like meta data, without complexifying the main format. It adds a little complexity on the REXPaint side, but maybe it's doable without too much of a headache...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
Re: Optional meta-data saved with .xp files
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 05:11:15 AM »

One approach to preserve compatibility: What if the config file could be used to specify a separate format, and all your files would be manipulated in that alternate format instead. That could accommodate any additional format requests, like meta data, without complexifying the main format. It adds a little complexity on the REXPaint side, but maybe it's doable without too much of a headache...

Interestring, as maybe, we are 'slowly' moving to mechanism which could allow external tools to have an access to RP runtime data. I'd love that!  ;D