• April 20, 2024, 03:12:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forum Feedback  (Read 22941 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Forum Feedback
« on: May 18, 2015, 04:06:12 AM »

The Grid Sage Forums are brand new, so things might be rough around the edges.

If you have suggestions or questions about the forum itself, whether about functionality, appearance, or whatever, this is the place to discuss it!

Regarding the overall appearance, note you can switch your theme to the SMF default or an alternative dark theme I loaded as well ("insidious").
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Derman

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »

I have some problems with the quote background. Maybe a bit lighter grey would make it more visible. Or maybe thicker borders would fix it.

Overall the forums look solid. The colors are nice, forums easy to navigate through, easy to find what you are looking for.

Maurog

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015 (Advanced Tier!!!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »

The smileys are quite horrible, look badly cropped without an alpha channel and clash with the sleek forum design.

If only you had some sort of awesome pixel artist who excels at drawing tiny Cogmind-themed sprites...
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

ThKaspar

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
  • The Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »

The smileys are quite horrible, look badly cropped without an alpha channel and clash with the sleek forum design.

If only you had some sort of awesome pixel artist who excels at drawing tiny Cogmind-themed sprites...

We'll see. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:30:53 AM »

I have some problems with the quote background. Maybe a bit lighter grey would make it more visible. Or maybe thicker borders would fix it.
You know, I totally agree with that. I was thinking the same thing ;). When I set it up I didn't see/test any quotes, and now that I've started seeing them I find them a bit hard to read myself. I'll fix them up!

We'll see. :)
Hehe. Now I check my email because Kacper has conveniently emailed me about this issue...

(The emoticons are made for the default SMF dark-on-light style, so they look pretty mediocre, but I didn't want to start off by messing with the defaults in case that would bother anyone who's used to them. We'll see what Kacper wants to do.)

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:29:36 PM »

I can't figure out how to embed links in text. Pressing the 'Insert Hyperlink' button just generates url brackets - I don't know the formatting to actually embed them in the text because I'm retarded.

Maurog

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015 (Advanced Tier!!!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:34:13 AM »

The syntax is
Code: [Select]
[url=https://www.google.com]Google[/url]
Google
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:52:12 AM »

Thanks! I was going to find a shitty 'Thanks!' image to embed in that as proof of my mastery over code, but the results were way shittier than I expected lol

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 05:10:38 AM »

Well, the first quick update to the forums is done. Now quotes are actually visible.

Kasaris

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »

I have a question about scores be sent online after a Cogmind's run : what purpose do these stats serve for you? Could we be able to see these online at some point, like on the forum ? Just asking, no bad feeling about it ^^

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »

I have a question about scores besent online after a Cogmind's run : what purpose do these stats serve for you? Could we be able to see these online at some point, like on the forum ? Just asking, no bad feeling about it ^^

The info you seek is here:

http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=73.0

:)

Kasaris

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 07:04:10 PM »

Ow, yeah ok, sorry I didn"t see this topic before!

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 08:46:02 PM »

Ow, yeah ok, sorry I didn"t see this topic before!

No worries :)

Key information on the forums is still building and it isn't always clear if a question has been asked/addressed yet. 

Kasaris

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »

By the way, your videos of Cogmind alpha are pretty cool :-)

endlessblaze

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • FIRE THE EM CANNONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 02:00:28 AM »

what I want to know is how to change the theme.
also, when do we get a section for forum games? you just know someone is going to start "cogmind RTD"

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 02:50:45 AM »

You can change the theme through your profile in the same way as with other SMF forums, via your profile.

I don't know if we really have enough people around here for forum games just yet... don't you think you'd have more takers over on Bay 12? ;)

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 03:48:16 AM »

You can change the theme through your profile in the same way as with other SMF forums, via your profile.

I don't know if we really have enough people around here for forum games just yet... don't you think you'd have more takers over on Bay 12? ;)
Yeah - spread the cogmind craze elsewhere :D

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 11:53:46 PM »

Not sure if I've just gone blind, but is there a setting hiding somewhere to change the timezone?  Cheers!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 12:50:29 AM »

There are just so many options it can be hard to find (plus it doesn't look like your regular time zone setting option...):

Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout > Time Offset (click auto detect) > Save

(And thanks for asking, because I hadn't changed mine before, either, and it was kind of annoying; fixed it in my profile, too =p)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 01:56:41 AM »

Cheers for looking into it:)  It's only been bugging me since I set up the Weekly Seed and realised that I couldn't tell when to end it.  Much better now :D

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 01:39:42 AM »

Found a forum bug!
When opening an image attached to a post into another tab, the image will be enlarged in that new tab, unless the image in the original tab had already been enlarged, in which case the new tab's image will be the small version. For convenience, i've attached a screenshot to this post for easy bug reproduction. (left click on it, then open in a new tab)
(I'm using Firefox if that's somehow relevant.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2021, 11:49:08 PM »

Okay R-26, I know you're really good at finding bugs and all (really!), but this would be something to refer to the SMF development team, not here, since I don't develop forum software, I'm just a gamedev using SMF to run my forums :P

That's a really interesting issue though, apparently the action to open in a new window occurs after toggling it, and the resulting image size is always the inverse of what it was to begin with. (I mean if it were a serious impairment to normal forum operation then it'd be something I'd have to look into, but this is a minor thing that doesn't really impact regular use--they may or may not care over there, but we certainly don't need to worry about it here!)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 09:24:11 AM »

The worst part is that i had previously figured out that it probably wasn't you who made the forum software, but forgot it when reporting this. (Out of curiosity, do you have control over the available options for profiles?)
On the other side, if someone is unable to see the right part of maximised images (like me), they might refer to this thread and see that they can open it in a new tab while minimised to see it.
I'll (eventually (probably)) report this to the SMF dev team.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »

(Out of curiosity, do you have control over the available options for profiles?)
Not really? Depends on what options you mean, but people generally have control over their own profile content, and whatever options are available are available. I'm sure they can be further expanded via mods and whatnot, though we haven't really had further need for that.

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2022, 09:07:12 AM »

Not really? Depends on what options you mean, but people generally have control over their own profile content, and whatever options are available are available. I'm sure they can be further expanded via mods and whatnot, though we haven't really had further need for that.
Basically, i was wondering how easy/difficult it would be to change the "gender" box to be a writeable space or something like that rather than having it just give two options (apart from blank).
Pages: [1] 2