• April 25, 2024, 10:33:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Treads, Wheels, Legs or Wings, (hover too). What's your preferred propulsion?  (Read 15783 times)

ozymandias79

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

I have tried wings a couple of time being to fly over the heads of other bots is sweet, I like wheels for speedy runs. What do you prefer?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:44:59 AM by ozymandias79 »

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
Re: Treads, Wheels, Legs or Wings. What's your preferred propulsion?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:30:39 AM »

Heh, ah, to be more accurate - the five types are, from slowest to fastest:

1) Treads. These things will carry the earth but you will move as slowly as someone carrying it, too. They have little/no upkeep and only use energy/heat when you move, so that's a plus.

2) Legs. Support a decent amount. I actually haven't taken a close look at their stats - I forgot what makes them special. They don't move too quickly though, it's usually (100)+.

3) Wheels. The only ground-based prop mod that can get you under (100).

4) Hover. Unlike the ground-based systems, more hover mods = more better. These are starting to have a noticeable active upkeep AND move costs for both energy use and heat generation. They support a fair amount, surprisingly.

5) Flight. God tier, but I'm biased because I always run light. These things barely support themselves and consume exorbitant amounts of energy and heat, but move incredibly fast. Three flight mods and you are moving a disgusting (20), but not for long because energy/heat problems. Also, you can jump over units! This is totally abusable - if three happen to be in a row, you'll move over ALL THREE. Amazing. If you go overweight though, you're basically better off crawling.

ozymandias79

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Re: Treads, Wheels, Legs or Wings. What's your preferred propulsion?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »

Great breakdown. I forgot hover as I haven't tried that one yet.   

Ruludos

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile

Wings wings wings. I simply can't see how anyone can get into the lategame without a flight or hover-based build because fighting anything at that point in the game is pretty much impossible. But yes, 4x speed and the ability to jump over bots is the best thing for stealth-based builds. The weight restrictions aren't a problem when I don't even equip guns.

Baltazar

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Looks like the only advantage of Legs over Wheels is that you can overload them a little bit more without suffering as insane of a penalty. I typically go Treads if I'm not flying and Legs if I can't find treads. The choice of legs is purely aesthetic though as I just love the concept of a six-legged robut wandering around firing lasers at everything.

~Balt~

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile

Hovers/flight units for me :)

When I'm fitted out with hovers or flight units I'm finding that one or two Weight Distribution Systems (not sure if they stack, I'll have to check again) are invaluable.  Also, a couple of Maneuvering Thrusters help a great deal to reduce your hit chance especially when you're airborne.

I'm struggling to see the usefulness of Treads, but I presume they can take more damage, take on more weight, and provide more coverage for your Core.  Maybe that's useful in some situations.

nsg21

• Derelict
    • View Profile

I've been using wheels or treads (when run out of wheels) so I can haul a lot of stuff. But then again, I am getting killed pretty quickly, so maybe this is not the right way to start.

Ruludos

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile

I'm struggling to see the usefulness of Treads, but I presume they can take more damage, take on more weight, and provide more coverage for your Core.  Maybe that's useful in some situations.

From what I understand, a combat-centric Cogmind would want treads to support a large number of weapons and all of the power/utilities necessary to make them work well. The problem is maintaining such a build, but that's a different issue.

Eloden

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

Flight for me too. But nothing is more devastating than loosing the third flight module and dropping to crawling speeds due to massive overload penalties.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile

Flight for me too. But nothing is more devastating than loosing the third flight module and dropping to crawling speeds due to massive overload penalties.
That's what I really love about Cogmind - I don't know how Kyzrati did it, but the balance is superb out of the box. This logic can be seen in many, many other areas of the game. Fantastic!

CormacMccarthy91

• Derelict
    • View Profile

After reading these it seems that hovering or wings is completely necessary for the late game, im wondering if there needs to be some balancing done if thats the case? or is that intentional? I just feel like you should be able to complete the game using whatever method you prefer, otherwise the other items will just seem useless.
“Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.”
-Judge

E.I.G.

• Unaware
    • View Profile

After reading these it seems that hovering or wings is completely necessary for the late game, im wondering if there needs to be some balancing done if thats the case? or is that intentional? I just feel like you should be able to complete the game using whatever method you prefer, otherwise the other items will just seem useless.
Eh, legs are actually fairly nice if you get into a lot of combat. Mostly because the main combat robots use them and they also have a nice carry weight.
They are even compatible with maneuvering thrusters.

Treads are probably good if you can get them and a lot of armor plating. That stuff is heavy but keeps you alive.

The big downside to hover is that the main things you will find with it are either hard to hit scouts or dangerous programmers.

The downside to flight is you can carry very little and it eats power, a bad combination as the low weight engines tend to have lower power.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile

Legs and treads are where its at for combat runs. Legs keep the decent movespeed, treads... well, everything moves seventy billion times every move you make, but you only need like three to carry the world. No balancing necessary. If I can make it to -1 on legs, so can you ;)

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile

Legs and treads are where its at for combat runs. Legs keep the decent movespeed, treads... well, everything moves seventy billion times every move you make, but you only need like three to carry the world. No balancing necessary. If I can make it to -1 on legs, so can you ;)
I actually do something really neat for combat runs. I turn off my propulsion while fighting.

You get a dodge bonus for hovering or flying, and your base movement is hover. Since your move speed isn't used when firing weapons, my 6,000,000 movement time doesn't matter. If I'm going to move, I turn on my treads.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile

Quote from: The Manual
Volley Modifiers:
  +3%/cell if range < 6
  +attacker utility bonuses
  +10% if attacker didn't move for the last 2 turns
  +3% of defender heat
  +10%/+30% for large/huge targets
  +15% for hack-linked targets
  +5% w/robot analysis data
  -1~15% if defender moved last turn, where faster = harder to hit
  -10% if attacker moved last turn
  -3% of attacker heat
  -10%/-30% for small/tiny targets
  -10% if target is flying
  -defender utility bonuses

Citation needed? I'm not seeing the bonus for hovering.

Actually, there's a few things I'd like clarification on. If core movement is hover-based, does it still benefit from Maneuvering Thrusters and the like? For some reason I would think not, but it probably does. Also, this line:
How fast do you have to be moving to get that 15%? Likewise, where is the 1% cut-off?
And:
I'm stupid - does this mean I get a bonus if I haven't moved, or does it mean they get a bonus against me if I haven't moved?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Quote from: The Manual
Volley Modifiers:
  +3%/cell if range < 6
  +attacker utility bonuses
  +3% of defender heat
  +10%/+30% for large/huge targets
  +15% for hack-linked targets
  +5% w/robot analysis data
  -10% if attacker moved last turn
  -3% of attacker heat
  -10%/-30% for small/tiny targets
  -10% if target is flying
  -defender utility bonuses
Citation needed? I'm not seeing the bonus for hovering.
Yup, there isn't one--flight and hover aren't the same thing. I could consider giving hover half the bonus that flight has, but hover is pretty powerful as is, being so fast yet still able to carry as much as it can.

If core movement is hover-based, does it still benefit from Maneuvering Thrusters and the like? For some reason I would think not, but it probably does.
Core movement is hover-based, and therefore should benefit from Maneuvering Thrusters, but I just checked the code and apparently I forgot to take that special case into account! So thanks, fixed it for the next version :P

How fast do you have to be moving to get that 15%? Likewise, where is the 1% cut-off?
I kept that somewhat vague because a detailed explanation wouldn't really fit.
Code: [Select]
Where speed < 95, mod = -((100-speed)/5)%
So the bonus generally only apply to unburdened hovering and flying units.

I'm stupid - does this mean I get a bonus if I haven't moved, or does it mean they get a bonus against me if I haven't moved?
Sure, all the same calculations apply to your enemy's attacks, so they have an easier time hitting you after they've remained stationary for 3 or more turns.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile

Wonderful! If I could wring you dry of all your tricksy formulas... ;)

But ack, you didn't really answer my last question. Or maybe I am just tremendously stupid. So do I get a 10% accuracy bonus for standing still for >2 turns? That is, I get a 10% penalty every time I move? Is that how I read it? Also, what is a turn? 100 units of time, or a turn turn?

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile

I must have mixed up the Maneuvering Thrusters and the inherent bonuses. Thanks for clearing that up.

I used to have a flight unit equipped and do it that way, but later on switched to just using inherent thruster bits since I thought they worked. Guess I have to switch back.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Wonderful! If I could wring you dry of all your tricksy formulas... ;)
I don't mind giving out formulas when they help clarify something that I believe should be known. But there are a bajillion of them in game, so I won't be doing that for everything =p

But ack, you didn't really answer my last question. Or maybe I am just tremendously stupid. So do I get a 10% accuracy bonus for standing still for >2 turns? That is, I get a 10% penalty every time I move? Is that how I read it? Also, what is a turn? 100 units of time, or a turn turn?
I wasn't sure what you were asking, so I guessed. Yes, you get a +10% bonus for standing still > 2 turns, and so does everyone else. And you get a -10% if you just moved.

...but actually these aren't based on "turns," per se, but "actions," so that wording needs to change!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

endlessblaze

• Derelict
  • FIRE THE EM CANNONS!
    • View Profile

I never use treads. nope, nope, nope. to slow

I will use legs, hover and flight.

though the later 2 are a bit harder for me to do since I like to carry a lot. if I find a weight redistribution system or something...hehehhehehe

I also like to carry around a spare flight unit, so if I start to get worn down I can make a geta way.

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

I never use treads. nope, nope, nope. to slow

I will use legs, hover and flight.

though the later 2 are a bit harder for me to do since I like to carry a lot. if I find a weight redistribution system or something...hehehhehehe

I also like to carry around a spare flight unit, so if I start to get worn down I can make a geta way.
Things like this push me to make a BADASS bot with HUGE THREADS and MANY EXPLOSIONS and none of that wimpy running away or sissy hacking... Though it usually ends very badly...

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile

Things like this push me to make a BADASS bot with HUGE THREADS and MANY EXPLOSIONS and none of that wimpy running away or sissy hacking... Though it usually ends very badly...
REAL MEN USE CENTRIUM HEAVY TREADS TO CARRY THE WORLD 'CUS THEY'RE SO TUFF AND CARRY LOTS OF STUFF

No really, I just had a semi-decent combat run. Scored 8700~ but it ended pretty treadfully when I couldn't find spares.

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile

Having a single good tread works well as backup propulsion.

It's usually enough to carry you when all your other bits get shot off and you'd be otherwise forced to drop important utilities.
-Somebody

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile

Treads and high-tier legs also actually double as really good armor. If you've got empty prop slots you're saving for more hover mods, fill 'em with offline treads in the meantime.

Sylverone

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

Treads and high-tier legs also actually double as really good armor. If you've got empty prop slots you're saving for more hover mods, fill 'em with offline treads in the meantime.
I knew there was a reason it was strange for propulsion items not to have mass... ;) Imagine what that might look like... It gives me the random Idea of having an armor component that equips to an unused leg slot.
Pages: [1] 2