Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:56:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Progress Update: April 11, 2016  (Read 1254 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Progress Update: April 11, 2016
« on: April 11, 2016, 02:29:57 AM »

Progress is good! Feels great to have all the cave foundation work done in Alpha 7, so Alpha 8 and 9 can be about more new content than anything else :D

Alpha 8 is about 50% done--there's still another whole new map to do, and I should probably do another blog post soon because it's been a while since the last one. Actually, here on the forums I haven't yet mentioned that latest post, which discusses how Cogmind generates and populates caves. It's spoiler free so check it out if you're curious about some of the technical and design decisions.

You might've seen elsewhere that I did a fun April Fools joke about "Cogmind as an RTS."
Spoiler: big.gif (click to show/hide)
It was made using some debugging features I use to stress test the game before releases.

Well, that joke got me thinking about some things, and something serious came out of it :P. So as of Alpha 8 we'll have real-time FOV updating. Your field of view will be updated as each obstruction is destroyed, especially meaningful for explosions so you can better see them expand:

The original behavior, if you'd noticed, is to update only after a single animation or action is completed, as seen here (same scene):

Back to work!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon