Grid Sage Forums

• April 18, 2024, 11:24:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Is there some way to re-map keys?  (Read 3390 times)

owen

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Is there some way to re-map keys?
« on: March 28, 2016, 04:14:09 AM »

?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Is there some way to re-map keys?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 05:39:49 AM »

I wish, but not yet.

It's a huge feature considering that every key is used and the engine doesn't support it directly, and something I hope to be able to add, though I'm still not sure of it and there will be some complications. (That's also why I made sure to support numpad, arrows, and vi out of the box, plus mouse access for everything :) ) It's more important at this point to hopefully provide some support for non-US keyboard layouts (is that what you're looking for?).

In any case, these are things I'll be looking into more closely later this year. Haven't been able to get to that yet.

Is there something specific you're looking to do? If it's something simple/isolated, I've also made adjustments/additions for individual players in the past where possible.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

owen

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 02:18:32 AM »

Yeah, there are two things:

1.  Key combinations involving "Alt" don't seem to work for me.  I'm using Ubuntu (with the Unity desktop), which might be why.  I've had issues with Alt not working for other programs as well (Aseprite, for example).  It would be nice if I could remap Alt to Capslock or Space.

2.  In addition to that, I wanted to experiment with using QWEASZXC (or maybe WERSDFXVC) for movement and using the mouse for firing and other similar things.  I think the mouse is useful, but I don't like using it for movement, especially not in highly tactical situations that involve single-tile movements or lots of melee combat.  I haven't played Cogmind for very long, but from what I can tell, most combat is primary ranged, so the mouse is easier to use than in something like Brogue, for example, where most combat is melee.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:37:06 AM »

1. Ah yes, on some Linux WMs keyboard players have trouble with the Alt key since unlike Windows which has a dedicated key for system commands, Linux uses the Alt key, which interferes with some programs. Some Linux players use a different WM that can change the settings for the Alt key so Cogmind can receive the keypress instead, but I don't use Linux so I'm not sure which those are.

2. Despite the emphasis on ranged combat, once you're familiar with the commands (and in some cases have your options set as you want them, for example targeting preferences) full keyboard play is faster than using the mouse. That said, that efficiency is hard to achieve on Linux unless you can make full use of the Alt commands.

I see what you mean about the QWEASDZXC, since all of the movement control schemes are at or towards the right side of the keyboard. That would require re-assigning all the commands those keys currently control (since every key is used).

I will add these considerations to my notes for when examining potential support for remapping. There are a couple possible solutions, but I'm not sure that any single solution will solve every problem I've got listed. Going to be problematic :/

Thanks for letting me know, and sorry for the inconvenience! (Remapping is literally the #1 accessibility issue that I wish wasn't a major headache and I could just drop it in now...)

Elronnd

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
    • em.slashem.me
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »

Is there any ETA for key-remapping being supported by the engine?  Is it not currently possible?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 12:12:05 AM »

Not possible now, no. I've been thinking about it off and on for a while (including recently as we approach 1.0), but I'm still not sure if or when it will be possible.

mindreader

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »

You might be able to allow meta to be equivalent to alt as far as cogmind is concerned.  So if alt + i works, then meta + i would do the same thing.  That way it probably wouldn't affect windows, but it would allow linux to have an alternate option.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »

That's an interesting option, although this post has become more about just key remapping in general, because I already pretty much removed the need for Alt on Linux as of Alpha 12, so
1.  Key combinations involving "Alt" don't seem to work for me.  I'm using Ubuntu (with the Unity desktop), which might be why.
is no longer an issue. Alt was originally for part detaching and dropping, but we now have an additional modal detach/drop mode initiated by 'd'.

Regarding what you're talking about, though, isn't the meta key used for anything else? Or does Linux let software do whatever it wants with that key? Unlike Alt which is used as a system key (hence the difficulty some Linux users were having before I added a modal drop mode).

mindreader

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »

Very little software on linux uses meta aka the windows key except for emacs, which uses it a ton.  Obviously if you are playing cogmind you aren't in emacs.

Some window managers use alt (like unity) because it is closer and it would conflict with emacs users if they used meta.  I have not tried cogmind in linux, but I'm willing to bet I would have a ton of conflicts if I did because my wm is set to use alt for everything.  Meanwhile my windows key is bound to nothing at all.

That said, I don't think it is more important than the game itself.  Like, at all.  If you bother at all, put that on the bottom of your list.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »

I have not tried cogmind in linux, but I'm willing to bet I would have a ton of conflicts if I did because my wm is set to use alt for everything.
Right, some Linux players were having those issues and having to use workarounds, but now you wouldn't because there are alternative schemes for pure keyboard-based inventory management.

That was something that had been bothering me for a while, so I'm glad there is a new solution other than "use the mouse" or "somehow fiddle with your WM's Alt settings" :P

Elronnd

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
    • em.slashem.me
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 08:45:06 PM »

if you are playing cogmind you aren't in emacs.

You sure?  emacs is looking like a better and better operating system as time goes on.