Grid Sage Forums

• April 19, 2024, 09:49:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Big text mode  (Read 1604 times)

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
Big text mode
« on: March 23, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »

While working with RP on the a-p screens, some cool thing came up to my mind.
Text tool with 2 modes: small, big and big-inverted. Similar to Paste command with its flipping modes.
Small mode is what we currently have, the big one could use active glyph/fg_color/bg_color & mask to 'rasterize' big characters using currently selected font PNG (threshold on alpha/luminance?). In inverted mode glyph could be rasterized with negative 'alpha'.
I know, no updates are planned soon :) so I report it just in case my grandchildren would like to use RP some day  ;D

Below what i mean by 'rasterizing':

###  ####   ###
#   # #   # #   #
##### ####  #
#   # #   # #   #
#   # ####   ###

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Big text mode
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:13:16 PM »

Hm, my first reaction on simply seeing the title and making assumptions had me going "yeahno," but after looking at what you're saying this is actually doable :P

Though I wonder how many people would actually use something like this. It could theoretically even be used to draw special shapes in the font and then blow them up in the image. Seems like a fairly narrow set of use cases overall, and it would require doing something that REXPaint doesn't normally allow (and has never done before)--give access to, and work with, the actual bitmap font image contents. Normally the program doesn't know anything about the fonts or pixels, as that's all done in the engine itself.

I've added it to the list with the special note: For gumix's grandchildren.

(Seriously, it's on the list and I'll consider it as I do all the other things when it's time to prioritize what goes into each upcoming release!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon