• March 28, 2024, 12:14:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Submit projects for REXPaint website showcase  (Read 28984 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Submit projects for REXPaint website showcase
« on: February 13, 2016, 01:04:55 AM »

There's now a dedicated page on the REXPaint website to showcase any projects that are using it. (Projects can be at any stage of completion!)

To submit your own project for inclusion (completed or works-in-progress okay) email me at gridsagegames@gmail.com, or post in this thread, to provide the following required info:
  • Project name
  • Link to project homepage, or at least somewhere to get updates (required, to show it's an actual project that interested visitors can find out more about and follow--a web page, blog, or whatever channel you're using to release information about your project is fine)
  • A short description
  • One image of your project (I'll convert it to a thumbnail as necessary, and link to the full-sized image as you see in the existing samples); note the image doesn't have to be anything in/from REXPaint itself, or even have anything to do with REXPaint at all, but is an image that simply represents or is somehow associated with your project!
Projects can be using REXPaint in any capacity, be it for artwork, mapping, planning, whatever!

(The Projects page is for actual games, software, etc., as opposed to lone artwork/images, which are instead added to the gallery when I see something I like :D)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:54:07 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
Re: Submit projects for REXPaint website showcase
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 11:19:51 AM »

Just want to share where RP is being used here. :)

1. ASCII-PATROL
2. No homepage yet, too busy with develompent - I know, huge marketing mistake.
3. Attempt to bring Moon Patrol by IREM (arcade legend from 1982) to text consoles.
Platforms: FreeDOS, Windows, Cygwin, Linux, maybe: js/html

Game engine is I think almost done.
Main work is focused currently on adding colors, new levels design, difficulty balancing.
So RP is being used in all colorization efforts. After doing few experiments, I've decided that game will offer 2 modes: black-on-white and color-on-black.
Simply compare my avatar (color on black) with image below (black on white).

I've made preview of 2 levels, hope you enjoy it.
(1.27MB)https://www.dropbox.com/s/n84a4hpdtev0frl/ASCII-PATROL-1.mp4?dl=1
(1.28MB)https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z2eeno71c10o7z/ASCII-PATROL-2.mp4?dl=1

4. The one image

gUmIx
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:41:44 AM by gumix »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:58:11 PM »

Looks great, I'd love to see a colored on black shot! Once you've got a link, let me know and I'll have it up on the page. (Also I'd prefer to use that shot in its color on black form since it'll look even better :D)

As you know it's a good idea to have some kind of homepage, since it takes a long time for people to find your project. All it takes is a single basic web page at first! (When Cogmind was in heavy early pre-alpha development, all it had was a single page with a title and a basic description of what was to come. You're already got enough to show even more than that!)

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »

So need to say it out load, RP does its job - 100%
And because of its versality, I've made 2 versions quicker that could previously suppose to do just 1.
That make me worrying, which bkgnd looks better now  ;D

And Mockup:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:50:19 AM by gumix »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 10:06:08 AM »

Ooh, nice, thanks for sharing. And that's good to hear--true that with better tools the problem is shifted over to having lots of options since you can focus more on the design than the process :)

I'd say that with the current foreground colors a lighter background works better to reduce the contrast, but the black background is still probably a better goal, in which case the number and/or brightness of the colors may need to be toned down. Lots of heavy contrast going on there... I guess that is a mockup, though, so if there won't usually be so many objects in view at once it isn't as big an issue.

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »

Indeed, contrast is a big issue in case of a black background. This is mainly due to fixed 16 colors of ansi palette, it is a compromise for bigger compatibility across targeted terminals. Where it is possible I plan to remap these 4 bit entries into more pleasant colors with way lower saturation and luminosity especially on dark blues. Also it turned out after putting all things into the game that blue color for player's car was a mistake, it was hardly to see the car on bluish background while jumping. So I switched red rocked into blue color and in turn player's car into the red.
Now it looks even more promising, everything thanks to RP!
g.

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »

Ascii patrol has now its hompage.
http://ascii-patrol.com

It is spookie place at the moment but i'm hoping to have enough time for regular updates :)

I improved colors a lot, thanks for pointing out the problem.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 09:15:36 AM »

Awesome, added to the site. I really like that gif you've got there, too.

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 09:18:50 AM »

That's mp4 not a gif, I've posted 2 links somewhere above already :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »

Oh whoops! I saw those links earlier but I've been too busy these days and for some reason assumed they were actually playable downloads (only skimmed to "dropbox" :P), so I hadn't gotten to check those out yet. Should've noticed the extension...

Pretty awesome quality for an mp4! Coulda sworn it was as gif from watching.

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 09:53:57 AM »

Just notticed image on project page is seam carved, looks great. Done manually or have a tool for it?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »

Yeah, I did that manually to make it look better :). I just cropped it in Photoshop, and also removed some of the white space. I'd originally preferred a dark-background image to go with the site's theme, but you're still working on that side so I used this one for now. I do like the way the tiny font works in black-on-white, too, actually.

chiguireitor

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 05:24:31 PM »

Project name: Ganymede Gate
Description: Sci-fi roguelike set on Ganymede, where everything that could go wrong went wrong, and then something more. Deeply inspired by DoomRL and Cogmind ;)
Image:

Is that image ok, or should i get a more "action" shot?

PS: Yeap, i'm still alive

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »

Hey chiguireitor, I figured you're just busy as you've been mentioning in SS comments. It happens!

You can use whatever image you think represents your game. That's a lot of neat stuff you've done with REXPaint there (in fact, I'll use this one for the gallery, since I haven't added a better GG art shot there yet!), but for the showcase it's more about showing people what the game looks like, not necessarily stuff done entirely with REXPaint.

chiguireitor

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »

Ok, good then... i'll try to get a better quality action shot tomorrow... kinda late already here and this was another of the *FUN* weeks.

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 05:41:10 AM »

Hey, good news from ap!
After weeks of struggling with colorization, finaly have something looking well, hmmm... acceptable :)
Previously I didn't realize how much effort it will consume, and it is still  far from b/w quality.
Few quirks remained unsolved, ie: fuzzy wheels but at the moment I don't have idea how should I proceed with them.

Below I've got a giffed footage, you can pick a frame from it as a thumbnail update for projects page.

Finally, background theme is light-gray ( I'm sorry about that  ;) ), it allows me to make more pleasant less saturated dot and percent color mixtures :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 06:59:11 AM »

Nice coloring. What's with the fuzzy wheels? They look fine in the current shot, why couldn't you reproduce them--just a technical issue? Looking really nice so far. Might as well wait until fix the wheels to do a proper screenshot, otherwise it looks odd :)

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 07:55:08 AM »

I'll try to rexpaint this problem :)

So initially i've used original b/w wheels but they appear too hollow when compared with everything else after coloring.
Descided then to fill what's possible with dk-gray, but it looked too blocky.
Ended now with fu%%y attempt which indeed looks way odd  :P

I'd love to see if anyone can suggest something in this area  ;D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 08:05:34 AM »

That's a very clear explanation of the problem :). Now I see what you mean about the coloring affecting the wheels. Why not just keep the NE/NW edges of the wheels black as they are in the original? It makes sense for the wheels to stand out in front of the body anyway, as I imagine they're quite large on this vehicle.

That said, then I see what you mean about hollowness since you're coloring the whole body of the vehicle with solid color there :/. This is definitely a fundamental limitation of ASCII here... Is there a reason you need to make object bodies so solid? Simply coloring the foreground doesn't work well enough for you? In my own experience, as soon as you start working background color into an image formed primarily from foreground glyphs, it's going to run into the blockiness problem. The way I've dealt with it is to never fill blocks near edges, and essentially use background color extremely sparingly. If it's possible for you to use other shades you could fade the block color on the wheels in the third image and that would help a bit. (But you're restricting yourself to the really limited palette, aren't you?)

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 08:18:33 AM »

Yeah, contour (fg) coloring :)
That is exactly what I've done programmatically, before I found rexpaint.
That was fail number 1, made my game extremely hard to play as fast moving color contours are
nearly invisible (light colors) or completely uncolored (dark colors).

... now when comparing these images, 'hollow' version starts convincing me back to it :)

few ours later, found out that blocky version but using dk-cyan instead of bk-gray works pretty well :)

full res image:
http://ascii-patrol.com/ASCII-PATROL.png

below thumbnail:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:51:01 AM by gumix »

Jan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 01:38:59 AM »

After 7drl is done for me, I want to submit here as well, as I used REXPaint quite prominently in my game. Looking at the screenshots, the GUI on the right was drawn in REXPaint and loaded to libtcod; the help/instructions screen is an overlay over the whole screen pre-made in REXPaint. Last but not least the blast animation is drawn frame by frame (like a sprite animation) and loaded to libtcod on the fly during the game.

https://twitter.com/Nicol_Bolas/status/707304232152670208

For this I used the xp_loader by RCIX in a modified fashion. The xp_loader was not working after creating an executable, so I translated the .xp files into python shelves using the loader. If interesting, I can put up the code for this somewhere.

1. The Prancing Bard
2. https://sites.google.com/site/theprancingbard/
3. This game was made for 7drl 2016. "Play notes while you move and chime into the melody of the world to unleash the harp of the storms. Fight your way through 5 stages to defeat the cyclops or strive for the highscore in an endless stream of foes."
4. This is a lower res pic, the original size is on the home page.

Just let me know, what you think, but thanks anyway as REXPaint was a big help for me! I always use it at least in the mockup phase of games!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 01:59:50 AM »

Thanks for the submission! And a great concept, I love it. There seem to be a number of music-related RLs in the wake of Crypt of the Necrodancer. Was that an inspiration at all?

Glad REXPaint came in handy here!

Later today I'll have it up on the site, and tweet about your 7DRL--congratulations!

For this I used the xp_loader by RCIX in a modified fashion. The xp_loader was not working after creating an executable, so I translated the .xp files into python shelves using the loader. If interesting, I can put up the code for this somewhere.
Huh, did it turn out to be something wrong with RCIX's loader itself, or did you just have slightly different needs? I believe he's tested it before...

Jan

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 04:02:33 AM »

Thanks for picking it up!

Yes, the number of music-movement-patter-RLs is increasing, however, I never played Crypt of the Necrodancer (sure will now :D). I refer to e.g. Mosaic, which I played. My main inspiration was the Hunting Horn from the Monster Hunter series. The concept of attacking and playing notes at the same time makes it difficult to master, but leads to nice flow as soon as you did and makes fighting like dancing.

Regarding the loader: I use libtcod and python, so the loader came in handy and worked exellent for the script. But as soon as I created a .exe with py2exe, I got crashes on the very moment the game loads .xp files. As it was 7drl and I was short on time, I did not fully investigate, but did a quick workaround ;D. If someone knows, how py2exe can be used with the loader, just let me know, it would save me a step.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 04:11:23 AM »

Ah yeah I played Mosaic. Darren's also really into positional mechanics, which have been a focus of most of his 7DRLs, and that apparently plays a big role in Prancing Bard as well. It definitely leads to a lot of interesting choices, which are at the heart of the roguelike experience :D

I also have yet to try it, but this year there's Dungeon Racer.

Not sure about py2exe incompatibilities, but RCIX might have an answer. Haven't seen him around /r/roguelikedev in a while, though. I know other python devs who are using REXPaint w/libtcod, but they may have written their own loaders (or maybe they're using an exe solution other than py2exe).

izzy

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2018, 12:47:03 AM »

Name: Dungeons of Everchange
Link: http://www.darkgnosis.com/download/game/dungeons-of-everchange-rl/
Description: (Work in progress) Fantasy themed roguelike, with a main goal of killing dragon Belphegore that dwells deep beneath the surface.
Pages: [1] 2