Cogmind > Strategies

To Evolve or to Explore?

(1/3) > >>

Baltazar:
Hey all, been struggling so far getting out of the first 1-4 levels. I've tried a couple of different ways, but somehow I always seem to be forced into "find big gun // stand ground" mode.

Here's what I was wondering from you all:

Once you get out of the scrap heap and begin level one, do you a) Run up the stairs as soon as you can so as to evolve and get two more expansion slots on Cogmind, or do you b) Take your time and explore the first level to find those perfect modules to fit to Cogmind before moving on?

I've been trying to do a lot more exploring before moving on, but I'm not sure it's working out so well for me. Obviously, Cogmind's power increases quite rapidly with more expansion bays, and it seems like the longer I spend on any given level the likelier it is that reinforcements are called and I get mobbed horribly.

So how about it? Do you always aim for faster evolutions?

~Balt~

WeberO:
I usually like to try and evolve once or twice as fast as I can, within reason, Just to get and extra weapon and utility slot, and then an extra power and another weapon slot. I find myself drawing a lot of attention so I really like to be able to launch a volley of gunfire towards the swarming bots. I just stood my ground against a mix of aprox. 10-15 mercanaries and pests, and even a few defenders.

brevous:
I've played enough now that I typically rush through the first two floors fairly quickly. I hit up all terminals I find, and pick up any cool items, but I don't do any thorough exploration. My main goals on the first two floors are to find an inventory expander and an improved targeting module. From there, I just keep on picking up everything I can, swap out what I need to, and start judging how I'm going to continue evolving.

First two evolutions are typically Power+Weapons, then Utility+Weapons if I am not going for a hardcore stealth game.

Draxis:
I pretty much always try to evolve as soon as possible, exploring only the rooms right around level stairs once they're found.  Which slots I level depends, but it's pretty much always 1 or 2 propulsion within the first few levels.

Baltazar:
I'm quickly finding the benefits in a couple of rapid evolutions.

I've been going Utility + Weapons x2, but now that I've evolved a few more times I think I will definitely start hitting up Power and Propulsion a little earlier. Nice to be able to move quickly and reliably even if I tend to be the stand and fight type - not to mention that I'm finally getting the fact that more propulsion = lighter propulsion mods carrying all my heavy weaponry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version