Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 07:46:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Tips on staying alive?  (Read 10445 times)

tase

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Tips on staying alive?
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:27:32 PM »

I've done a few runs but they all end up with me being swarmed and unable to escape.

I tried a normal "fight back" strategy, but since I'm outnumbered and usually they have better/more weapons, I lose mine, and can't escape.

I tried digging around, being sneaky, I lost my digging claws in a cave-in and had to abort.

I tried being fast and avoiding combat, but the scouts always seem to spot me the moment I see them, and a couple stray shots usually destroy my propulsion or engines.

I tried taking it slow, but I usually run out of gear because if I don't hurry to pick up the salvage from my kills, which usually means running towards multiple enemies, the scavengers take all.

Seems like it's pretty hard to kill stuff, pretty easy to lose critical components, and the enemy is usually pretty fast so escaping is very hard.

Any tips or strategies for surviving?

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on staying alive?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 03:52:43 PM »

Here are some general tips for surviving Materials  (-10 to -8). They are not in any particular order. They are fairly soft guidelines and you can get away with breaking them if you know what you are doing.

The general idea in these floors is to build up a inventory filled with decent parts that will let you tackle factory. There isn't any food clock. But you need to be careful not let the alert level climb too high as it can have consequences down the line.

1) Always carry backup weapons and at least 1 power source. Everything else is optional.

2) Navigate the floors by hugging the walls. This helps you dive into the nearest room. This will help with combat  (See 3)

3) Positioning is key when it comes to combat. Avoid fighting in the open. Reposition even it means you have to eat a couple of volleys. Run into the nearest explored room and position yourselves near, but not in front, of the door. The enemies typically come in one by one and you can take them out. This should work most of the time. Other times, they ambush you via secret doors and you just have to deal with it. In general, you do not want to take fire from multiple hostiles at the same time.

4) Don't run from enemies. Things can escalate quickly if you run into another patrol whilst running from one.

5) Enter the mines at your own peril. This is usually the exit with a cache of med matter storage units and mining claws nearby. I would avoid it if you are just starting out.

6) Digging is not a bad idea. You can use it travel between adjacent rooms while avoiding the main corridor where patrols typically roam.

7) Early in the game, you can't go wrong with evolving two propulsion slots. You will need them to carry stuff anyway. Equip legs. They are easily replaced and soak up a lot of damage and protect more delicate parts. The weapon slots that you start with should be enough for the first few floors. Aim to reach factory with 2 power slots, 3 weapons and 4 propulsion. The rest goes to utilities. Note that this is pretty generic setup. Specialized builds require different slot distribution.

8) Shoot the scavengers once. They will run away and leave your loot alone.

9) Part loss in unavoidable. The way to deal with it is to find storage units which let you carry more stuff. There is always a cache of storage units in the materials. Find them!! After you have equipped them, start grabbing weapons, power sources, propulsion and some utilities. My inventory usually consists of some power sources, a couple of legs, lots of weapons and a small number of utilities. This strategy should carry you a long way.

10) Armor, heat sinks and storage are key utilities that are worth hoarding in your inventory. Equip the more exotic utilities as you find them. No need to fret if they get blown off. You will always find something more interesting. (addendum 2/18/2016: This is even more viable post alpha 6 due to the coverage changes to the processors. It is unlikely that they will get blown off due to their very low coverage. So, you are better of equipping processors/hackware than waste inventory space on them.)

11) Materials is really small. You shouldn't be too far from the exit at any point in time.

12) The 't' key is an extremely useful inventory management tool. It sorts the inventory by type in the following order: power, propulsion, weapons, utils. You can use it quickly assess whether you are well prepared. Hit 't' to constantly check whether you have spares for what you think are the crucial components of your build.

These tips should help you hit the factory floors consistently. Things get more interesting from that point onwards. There are quite a few guides in the strategy section (check out the links below) by much more experienced players which should help you with long term survival once you are comfy with clearing materials.

http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=264.0
http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=338.0
http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=277.0
http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=343.0

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:38:29 PM by Sherlockkat »

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:38:31 PM »

Great tips, Sherlockkat!

Note that my own guide (the last link provided by Sherlockkat) is slightly stale with alpha 5, since having many weapons is now more useful. I go with 1 propulsion and 1 weapon slot for my first evolution, though 2 propulsion slots is also perfectly viable.

Material is supposed to be "beginner's land", but the first floor is brutal! You have very little health and coverage, not much equipment, and if you don't find a signal interpreter and end up in the mines, your survival prospects take a big hit. This is the floor I'm most afraid of beyond the last two floors.

Your best bet for early survival is find some storage and hoard essential items so you can survive losing many parts.

Good luck!

tase

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »

Thanks for the tips and links, bit of a late reply, been busy with job starting up this week.

The tips helped me quite a bit, a lot of luck was involved though, such as finding experimental ballistics (imp assault rifle) and experimental hovers, so I can actually fight and/or fleet (25 cost/move).

I'm just worried I'll take a stray shot and everything will go downhill. Game is pretty damn random/luck based.

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »

Hi, Glad to know that the tips helped  :). As Decker said, materials can be brutal at times even if you are not a beginner. If there is something that I would emphasize on, it is not to get too attached to anything you find and locate those damn storage units. That alone would go a long way to eliminating the luck factor in the early floors. Good luck!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:22:05 PM by Sherlockkat »