Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 03:23:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Hidden Door Leads to Wall  (Read 1541 times)

MJWkr

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Hidden Door Leads to Wall
« on: December 20, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »

Not really a big deal to me, more of an amusement really, but am pointing it out just in case it's not what was intended in design. See screenshot.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Hidden Door Leads to Wall
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »

Yeah, it's been pointed out before.

This actually isn't a bug, per se. The robots either redesigned the map and the room on the other side was shrunk, or they haven't yet finished building the room on the other side (but have a tunneler assigned to work on excavating it).

I may have to remove this "feature" if it keeps getting reported and everyone calls it a bug, though :/
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Sylverone

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:25:39 AM »

You could drop an easter-egg or explanatory something-or-other at places where halls get disconnected, maybe, if you decide a fix is needed.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:30:02 AM »

It is a dilemma... right now it's temporarily on the list to simply remove.

I don't know, I mean, you can already find tunnelers actively excavating new areas, so I'd think this falls under the "it's still under construction" idea. But overall there's a smaller amount of that so maybe the connection isn't so easy to make.

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Wiki Contributor Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »

Digging this up on purpose because that was the first odd thing I noticed in Cogmind Alpha 12. I wish to say I really like that one. At first it looks nonsensical but as you collect more knowledge about the game it falls into place. During one of my recent runs I managed to obtain zone layout which presented me with marked undug room adjacent to one of such hidden, presumably purposeless rooms. Eureka! Waiting there allowed me to obsrve pack of tunnelers and builders do their job.

It appears the map is generated with some rooms marked as yet to be dug out but connected hidden doors are neither removed nor scheduled to be built. Since builders are able to repair hidden doors I break they potentially could be made to build those also into plain walls too. Of course this still carries risk of having said hidden door built before room is excavated. Nah, good as it is. Make this a Cogmind quirk.

If this is still on remove list please consider removing it from it. I mean it, the list - not the game. Duh, that was clumsy.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 04:50:14 PM »

Heh, yep this is still on the list, and earlier I did confirm where it's coming from--exactly the cause you mention, those unfinished rooms.

You're correct in that those rooms are generated but only marked to be dug out, though in the case of hidden doors the excavation team actually doesn't know how to accommodate those. Technically it was an oversight when I wrote the excavation event--I didn't realize there might be unfinished hidden passages attached to the target area.

So my solution could have been to simply retroactively remove the secret passage itself, or let them know how to connect the two (but the latter requires more code and testing...).

If this is still on remove list please consider removing it from it. I mean it, the list - not the game. Duh, that was clumsy.
Hahaha. I've marked down your vote to keep it :)

It's cool that you managed to figure it out, by the way, and saw what was happening there. I imagine most are going to just continue reporting this as a bug (more than one player has mentioned it now...), which is one of the reasons I was going to remove it. Or maybe I'll teach them how to do it. Anyway, not super high priority right now.

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 03:56:33 AM »

What if hidden doors were placed only after the room is finished? Like, a tunneler comes and places it.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 04:40:49 AM »

Sure they could, it's just a lot of extra work for a little fluff thing, so it gets super low priority.