• April 23, 2024, 07:07:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cogmind on a 4K monitor  (Read 11882 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Cogmind on a 4K monitor
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 09:27:19 PM »

Ah, number of rows I was referring to is entire window, not the map. The minimum map size is 50x50. The reason it decided to give you 80 on first startup was because before that point the DPI setting hadn't been manually changed, and that will cause it to be confused at the actual size of the window being created according to Windows. In this situation, I believe the best approach is to just delete the whole cfg file and restart after changing that setting, in which it should be detected and set correctly. But you've already manually set it yourself so it's the same effect.

And no you're not making it less playable at all! Cogmind was explicitly designed to work with a 50x50 map, so you're set up just fine now. I was just referring to what was an occasional call early on in development for a viewable map area even smaller than 50x50, so that even larger fonts could be used. Playing with a map larger than 50x50, on the other hand, works just fine.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

veryfoodverygood

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 10:08:59 PM »

I see what you're saying now - map vs window size! Things are making more sense. That said, So I saw or similar advice earlier in the thread:
In this situation, I believe the best approach is to just delete the whole cfg file and restart after changing that setting, in which it should be detected and set correctly.
and it never let me go bigger than a 24 font.  So far the only way I could get to a 36 font was to do the manual setting I described above.  Not sure why that's the case, but if I can help you debug in any way, let me know.  I'm happy to volunteer my rig/time to further this game's development.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 10:25:01 PM »

Thank you very much. My question in this case would be: If you've already made the proper setting in windows via the .exe properties and delete your cfg file then try to restart, does it set the values properly and give you the size 36 font? (If not, you can just restore your manual cfg file after trying.)

I'm curious if that's even advice I should give (because it's easy), or if for now I should provide a separate manual cfg file for those with 4K monitors.

The ideal final solution would be to have the game detect and proactively ignore Windows DPI scaling, but everything I've tried so far seems to fail (I think, anyway--it would be much easier to test here...). The especially annoying thing is that Microsoft can't even get all of their own programs to scale properly, so how do they expect us to do it :P. It's been like this for years...

veryfoodverygood

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »

If you've already made the proper setting in windows via the .exe properties and delete your cfg file then try to restart, does it set the values properly and give you the size 36 font?
Nope.  I created a fresh cogmind folder from the zip.  Set the .exe properties correctly.  Started the game. mapHeight=80, font=24. Deleted the config and tried again, same result.  Then I set both mapHeight & mapWidth to 50 and font size 36 became available. For kicks I tried setting mapHeight to 50 and mapWidth to 100 and it decided that max font was 28.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: The Ideal solution - I hear you, I have no idea wtf Microsoft is doing... ever.  I tried making sense of this https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn469266(v=vs.85).aspx and all I can say is I don't envy you this bug.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 12:48:16 AM »

Yeah it's a pretty messed up scenario. I presumably found the "easiest" way to do it was to activate an explicit setting in Visual Studio that takes care of ignoring that piece of the OS for you, but it obviously didn't work. And the other runtime methods I couldn't determine how it was possible to use them in combination with my engine.

In any case, regarding the cfg deletion method maybe the exe-specific setting doesn't kick in until some moment after the program has already started? No idea :/

Seeing as it works fine when you set values manually, I'll look for another way to try to detect and set values that rather than based on what the OS says during startup, although given the current situation it would still require manually changing the OS exe setting. I could also include a separate cfg file which 4K players can copy over if needed.

Thanks for the info!

(Note: If I can come up with a temporary semi-solution I may pass it along to see if it works for you.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:54:23 AM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2016, 02:12:34 AM »

I was just investigating this issue for the Alpha 11 release, and solved it :)

The separate DPI scaling issue aside, I found an assumption deep in the resolution code that had assumed a maximum of 1440p, even though I had later added support for 2160p fonts. That's why you were being capped at size 24 until you manually edited the cfg, which skips the font guessing phase of startup. Come next week it will work automatically! Thanks for the help.
Pages: 1 [2]