Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:01:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Upcoming Features (Alpha 5)  (Read 3652 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Upcoming Features (Alpha 5)
« on: December 15, 2015, 12:57:33 AM »

After some final little features and testing today, then proper packaging and release prep tomorrow, this Thursday we should have our first content-heavy release. Not that there's a lack of content already, but in all these alphas we've yet to move into true branch map territory, while only adding a few extra robots and parts. Waste and Garrisons are new maps, but I consider them "special areas" rather than proper branches.

So the core of Alpha 5 is three new maps that are quite different from what you've seen so far, and could lead to some new play styles while also giving access to more of the story and NPCs.

There are also some other mechanical changes as well, including a few things that can impact the entire experience from beginning to end (kinda nice to have this kind of thing as well to keep it all interesting!). The release notes will go into more detail on that.

We won't be seeing any of the major mechanics overhauls we've been discussing (propulsion, hacking, etc.), but I'm thinking Alpha 6 might only have one new map--the fourth small one I didn't have time to put together for this next release, and instead make a dedicated effort to tackle some of the long-standing system modifications and medium-sized feature tweaks that have been piling up over the months.

Below is a collection of some of the more showable features ready for Alpha 5:

Firing overloaded weapons distorts your HUD, where the degree of distortion depends on the power of the weapon.

If you see this machine you can consider blowing it up. There might be consequences. (gif recorded in my testing area--not its natural environment!)

Onward to... somewhere!

Be the tank you always wanted to be. Fire bigger volleys than ever and get away with it.

It's dance time! Watch out for these guys...

(There's some cool plot stuff going on, and new areas, but I'm not into spoiling things, you'll just have to find out :P)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:24:28 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Upcoming Features (Alpha 5)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »

More features just added today (going through a backlog of "little stuff"):

Matter now spills out of matter-related machines as they're destroyed. Unless of course you vaporize everything in an explosion.

The EM effect from fabricator overloading also has its own spectrum for extra couple-that-power-source-and-blow-it-up fun.

The defensive shielding bonus for standing on an active stasis trap is now visible (with sound effect). Bet you didn't know that was a thing ;). Another robot is supposed to tell you about this "secret," but they're not in the game yet. I think this particular mechanic can be more transparent, so there it is.

For all your storage needs, every Materials floor now contains one of these :D

Keyboard running now automatically stops for adjacent doors and openings, as seen here in a recording where almost every stop shown is automatic. (Still room for improvement, but it's better than nothing :D)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Upcoming Features (Alpha 5)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 02:51:30 AM »

I couldn't resist, but as dumb as it is to add big new features the day before release, here it is:

Smart part auto-replacement directly from the ground simply by attaching (AKA say goodbye to most of the "No free slot" messages!).