Grid Sage Forums

• April 23, 2024, 11:00:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #16 [Alpha 4b] [Seed: Trojan Horse]  (Read 3842 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #16 [Alpha 4b] [Seed: Trojan Horse]
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »

Clever Cogmind

This week's seed: Trojan Horse

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone. High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly competition and we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Trojan Horse] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #16 [Alpha 4b] [Seed: Trojan Horse]
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »

I'm going to stream my seed run, or at least the first part of it, for at least an hour beginning around 11/18 10:30 PM EST (so about 24 hours from now) here.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

WeberO

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • One more run...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »

Just completed my run, and although it wasn't the best, it is uploading as we speak to my Youtube channel. If you wish to try and listen to my quiet, static ridden voice, my channel link is in my signature!

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:06:13 AM »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:26:52 AM »

Hey WeberO! Nice to see you trying out the seed runs--
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enno (click to show/hide)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »

Too lazy to post my morgue, but it was ~3500 points with a death on -7.  Made it in and out of storage without too much hassle.  On -7, I activated an ambush trap and for the first time got swarmed by
.  I took a beating but managed to kill them.  The demolishers dispatched to deal with the problem however had no trouble finishing me off once some programmers joined the fight.

I wanted to watch you last night K but apparently even 10:30pm is too late for me these days.  What time will you stream today? 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »

Aw, it's too bad but I don't think I can do much earlier than 10:30, at least not until/unless we change up our schedule here. If I manage to get up early I could probably squeeze in a 7pm, but lately I've been getting up real late in the morning here (US evening), so that won't happen anytime soon.

I decided to keep the finishing stream at the same time, 10:30. Next week maybe I'll do a complete change of time and play at my night/US morning, but I wonder how many would even be available for that. I normally play at night, anyway, not mid-day like these streams :P

Also, the video from -10 to the middle of -7 is up; the last 10 minutes or so started to get more interesting, when we were finally in the Factory and ended up in a tangle with a Garrison Access (I highlighted that part of the video on Twitch).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 01:10:38 AM »

Finished the seed run--played my highest-scoring game ever (Alpha 4b is definitely easier), and also my longest by far at nearly 5 hours, though mostly because I was streaming it and talking through the whole thing. It's recorded in two parts, -10 > -7 and -6 > -1.

Spoiler: Score Sheet (click to show/hide)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »

I watched you from -5 to -2 (I didn't log on to Twitch to chat since I was on my iPad).  So close!  The one thing that surprised me was that you weren't optimizing weapons based on the target (at one point you took on hunters with 4 kinetic weapons), but streaming probably makes one cut corners. 

Force(Extract) has some interesting possibilities, but Trojan(Detonate) really has me interested.  I'm sure it raises the security level, but that's a nice trade off for destroying enemies without taking any damage yourself. 

Quick questions (since I'm too impatient to wait for your dev post): do deep network scanners facilitate brute force/trojan hacks; and do botnets give you bonus to all terminal hacks, or only to terminals of the same security level or less as the botnetted terminal? 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 07:38:14 AM »

Ah, so you were there :). It was a close one. Simply spent way too long fiddling around in Access. And I went west when apparently I should've gone east, argh!

The one thing that surprised me was that you weren't optimizing weapons based on the target (at one point you took on hunters with 4 kinetic weapons), but streaming probably makes one cut corners. 
Definitely cut corners, but it also depended on the situation. Several times when it became important (especially later) I was taking that into consideration, and said as much. About Hunters, though, I'd honestly forgot it was a bad idea to use KI against them :-[. (I do remember having a nagging feeling in the back my mind that there was something wrong there, though...) Most other hostiles I did try to at least not rely on weapons they're strong against.

Force(Extract) has some interesting possibilities,
This, and schematics in general, are going to be even better once I implement additional schematic benefits, hopefully in Alpha 5.

but Trojan(Detonate) really has me interested.  I'm sure it raises the security level, but that's a nice trade off for destroying enemies without taking any damage yourself. 
I really like this one. Should've used it more. I do think we need more terminals in the late game, and possibly some more low-security ones since the hacking game really does start to drop off there. (That said, I wasn't at all built for hacking so I can't complain too much xD. Also, we'll see because I'm going to continue adding some new hacking features, and as you can see with Trojans some of these are quite effective.)

Quick questions (since I'm too impatient to wait for your dev post): do deep network scanners facilitate brute force/trojan hacks;
Oh impatient one: They do!
(Actually, good question, since I didn't find a place to mention that in the blog post, anyway :P)

and do botnets give you bonus to all terminal hacks, or only to terminals of the same security level or less as the botnetted terminal? 
ALL MACHINES on the same floor. Aw yeah.